SV Spool Paranoia

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SV Spool Paranoia

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:38 am

I have at least 3 sv spools that have the issue with sticking inductors. Alphas sv being 1 of them. I'm not sure if Daiwa will fix it for you or not. So far to fix it I've had to swap out the spring for a stiffer one and change the lower inductor block out. If you aren't mechanically inclined and don't have patience then send it off to Ian or Bryan for repair. I've done it to 3 spools now and it's a headache for me.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
LowRange wrote:Is it safe to assume that a spool prone to sticking will exibit this behavior out of the box or is this something that can develop over time? I've been fortunate to avoid the issue thus far.
It happened to mine and mine was new.
What model was your reel??? Also how long did it take to happen and did Daiwa assist with the issue???
Daiwa SV105P

Noticed it at about 2 months of use. I never contacted Daiwa for assistance. I saw a video on how to fix issue and did the fix myself.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:01 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
LowRange wrote:Is it safe to assume that a spool prone to sticking will exibit this behavior out of the box or is this something that can develop over time? I've been fortunate to avoid the issue thus far.
What model was your reel??? Also how long did it take to happen and did Daiwa assist with the issue???
Daiwa SV105P

Noticed it at about 2 months of use. I never contacted Daiwa for assistance. I saw a video on how to fix issue and did the fix myself.
Did you use the epoxy route or glue a small piece of plastic within the gap? I have seen both ways and wonder if Daiwa will eventually solidify the gap to prevent this. I have enough reels and don't want to void a warranty that I will still let them. It isn't horrible hard to fix either route, just figure they ought to show a little love on a $260+ reel (which they always have for me, fixed a T-wing on a 2.5 year old Type R).

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:05 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Daiwa SV105P

Did you use the epoxy route or glue a small piece of plastic within the gap? I have seen both ways and wonder if Daiwa will eventually solidify the gap to prevent this. I have enough reels and don't want to void a warranty that I will still let them. It isn't horrible hard to fix either route, just figure they ought to show a little love on a $260+ reel (which they always have for me, fixed a T-wing on a 2.5 year old Type R).
I epoxied a piece of plastic in the gap and put in a stiffer spring. Ive had the reel out a couple nice days this year and all is well. Prior to fix I could easily rotate inductor with fingers and get it to stick. Now can't get to stick even with somewhat heavy pressure.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56 am

Well I went and checked the SV105 and the SS/SV, all was fine and I was very gentle with testing the spring. I really wonder if this is a problem that people are helping cause by messing with the inductor. That is a very small part not meant for the load fingers and pulling create and I couldn't help but think maybe SOME or at least a few cases are user mistakes.
I just hope mine don't get stuck,I really love equipment and pride myself in taking care of it. I keep mostly everything stock aside of handle/levelwind bearings and don't switch spools. If they do, I really am sure Daiwa will back me, best of luck to anyone else with this problem and hopefully in a few years if SV technology stays, this problem will be fixed (it should be on account of how simple a mistake it is).

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm

The SS SV casts like it has stuck inductor even when it dosen't. Don't worry about it.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 am

Can someone post a video or link on how to solve this stuck inductor issue ? Thanks fellas much appreciated :)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:39 am

+1 on the video, I am very much relieved my spools are okay, but it would be nice to see a solution. Also has this ever been reported with the new Zillion SV???

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:14 am

I currently have that issue on my zillion sv . The inductor doesnt seem to be sticking out it moves freely back and forth but zero magnetic setting feels like 6 or 7. As of now I have it on zero and can never backlash which is completely not normal . It has been sent to Ian shields for the repair ...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:52 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I currently have that issue on my zillion sv . The inductor doesnt seem to be sticking out it moves freely back and forth but zero magnetic setting feels like 6 or 7. As of now I have it on zero and can never backlash which is completely not normal . It has been sent to Ian shields for the repair ...
What was your spool tension set to?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I currently have that issue on my zillion sv . The inductor doesnt seem to be sticking out it moves freely back and forth but zero magnetic setting feels like 6 or 7. As of now I have it on zero and can never backlash which is completely not normal . It has been sent to Ian shields for the repair ...
Yeah that is really weird if the inductor doesn't seem to be stuck. Even if it was sticking, you should get a good cast every now and then once it frees up (assuming it can still move back and forth).

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've had I think 9 SV spool equipped reels now. I had one that was sticky at times, but other than that all have been trouble free.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:46 pm

Out of the box it was perfect , after about 3 trips it started to happen. My spool tension is extremely loose because if not it would feel tighter . If I adjust the spool tension to where it should normally be where there is just a minimal sode movement it would feel like 10 brakes are on. I checked the sideplate and the magnets are not loose which is odd . Only way to fix it is to send it to Ian since he knows everything anyways lol.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:07 am

Has anyone sent one back to Daiwa or contacted them about it? If not I will call Monday and just talk and see what they think. I was really friendly and stated engineering to the best of my knowledge when my T-wing sustained damage, they gave me great insight and fixed it free too. I just hope if this issue is even slightly prevalent that they will address it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:45 am

I think it tends to happen with a sudden backlash. If it does, you'll know. Ive never had it occur unless i got a backlash that stopped the spool instantly.
This is the way.