Chronarch MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:23 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Also wanted to add that Shimanos service on this issue was second to none. They sent me new spools for each reel(5 spools) quickly, and asked that the damaged spools be sent back to them. =D>
So I am a freshwater fisherman, don't get to go but about once a week now... I just bought a Zillion SV and really like it. I for some reason don't like to replicate purchases, so I am thinking about a Chronarch MGL. Should I be worried about corrosion? Also I know there are a lot of Shimano loyalists who posted to this thread, so is there anyone who can convince me? My ONLY real gripe with the MGL is that it has a composite frame. I don't fish heavy duty lures though, and the reel will probably share time on a 7'M and a 7'3"MH (lighter mh) with 14lb Sunline. Or should I just buy another Zillion and not worry? I just turn the handle of my Stradic Ci4+ and it makes me still smile, so I cant help but think I owe it to myself to give Shimano baitcasters a try...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:33 am

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:30 am

mark poulson wrote:Read Cals review:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimchronmgl.html
I appreciate it, have read it at least 8 times now. Just wanting to see any extra input, especially concerning the composite frame and potential rust issues. I highly doubt the areas I use the reel will make it rust. I just wish I could find someone who has both and let me know if its worth changing over. I now know the Tatula SV is overbraked, just like the SS/SV, so its not going alongside my Zillion SV. I hope the MGL Chronarch would cast further than the Zillion SV due to the centrifugal setup vs magnets...

I don't know... I know I have over asked and brought it up too much, just hard to try a different brand sometimes. I do know that my Ci4+ Stradic 2500 has fought some MONSTER fish, and I never felt any frame flex or power lost...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:56 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
I appreciate it, have read it at least 8 times now. Just wanting to see any extra input, especially concerning the composite frame and potential rust issues. I highly doubt the areas I use the reel will make it rust. I just wish I could find someone who has both and let me know if its worth changing over. I now know the Tatula SV is overbraked, just like the SS/SV, so its not going alongside my Zillion SV. I hope the MGL Chronarch would cast further than the Zillion SV due to the centrifugal setup vs magnets...

I don't know... I know I have over asked and brought it up too much, just hard to try a different brand sometimes. I do know that my Ci4+ Stradic 2500 has fought some MONSTER fish, and I never felt any frame flex or power lost...
I would take the metanium MGL 100 from Japan over the chronarch mgl 150 and I have both. The Metanium seems to cast farther.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

I would take the metanium MGL 100 from Japan over the chronarch mgl 150 and I have both. The Metanium seems to cast farther.
Do you own or have used the Zillion SV? I thought about the MGL... will it really be under $300 after all is said and done? And will there be any warranty? I was thinking more of spending $240 max, so a Chronarch on sale is right in range, a second zillion sv is little above.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:36 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Do you own or have used the Zillion SV? I thought about the MGL... will it really be under $300 after all is said and done? And will there be any warranty? I was thinking more of spending $240 max, so a Chronarch on sale is right in range, a second zillion sv is little above.
No zillon SV, Im not buying another SV reel again after being burned by the SS. Im speaking of the Metanium vs the Chronarch MGLs since you cant seem to make up your mind. Right now the Met is 296 with free shipping on Digitaka. No warranty of course

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

No zillon SV, Im not buying another SV reel again after being burned by the SS. Im speaking of the Metanium vs the Chronarch MGLs since you cant seem to make up your mind. Right now the Met is 296 with free shipping on Digitaka. No warranty of course
Well thanks for the heads up, always appreciate good help you've given me. I'm probably going to try a Chronarch MGL. I am scared of no warranty, so will probably pass on the Met. They aren't light and day different are they?
I remember a friend beating the heck out of a Ci4+, he tosses huge cranks, A-rigs w/ 50lb braid, etc. And if held fine. I figure the Chronarch has a better body feel than that of the SS/SV right? I actually like my SS, but it is hollow feeling and I hope the composite chronarch frame doesnt mirror that...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:44 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Well thanks for the heads up, always appreciate good help you've given me. I'm probably going to try a Chronarch MGL. I am scared of no warranty, so will probably pass on the Met. They aren't light and day different are they?
I remember a friend beating the heck out of a Ci4+, he tosses huge cranks, A-rigs w/ 50lb braid, etc. And if held fine. I figure the Chronarch has a better body feel than that of the SS/SV right? I actually like my SS, but it is hollow feeling and I hope the composite chronarch frame doesnt mirror that...
Not a night and day difference in overall feel, actually not much at all, but the JDM Met MGL has the lighter shallower spool. Shimano has gone to great lengths to make the Chronarchs very refined and smooth even with a composite frame, something my T3B was not despite being close in price when new. Chronarch MGL is only 235 with free shipping from Digitaka. If you dont like it Im sure it wont be hard to sell off.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:24 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote: I would take the metanium MGL 100 from Japan over the chronarch mgl 150 and I have both. The Metanium seems to cast farther.
Not a night and day difference in overall feel, actually not much at all, but the JDM Met MGL has the lighter shallower spool. Shimano has gone to great lengths to make the Chronarchs very refined and smooth even with a composite frame, something my T3B was not despite being close in price when new. Chronarch MGL is only 235 with free shipping from Digitaka. If you dont like it Im sure it wont be hard to sell off.
So I have like $600 to blow on tackle because I have sold off a ton of tackle. I am eyeing the MGL Metanium now thanks to your posts and watching it cast a 1/4oz over 170 feet. The shallow spool is perfect for me and all I want to do. I am just really nervous about not having a warranty and ordering from Japan. Also I have no PayPal account and have no idea how this whole thing works.
Would Shimano really not help me if something happens? And whats the worst that could happen? I figure it wont just explode will it?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:13 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
So I have like $600 to blow on tackle because I have sold off a ton of tackle. I am eyeing the MGL Metanium now thanks to your posts and watching it cast a 1/4oz over 170 feet. The shallow spool is perfect for me and all I want to do. I am just really nervous about not having a warranty and ordering from Japan. Also I have no PayPal account and have no idea how this whole thing works.
Would Shimano really not help me if something happens? And whats the worst that could happen? I figure it wont just explode will it?
I think Shimano America would fix it but it wouldn't be free like one that was under warranty. Where did you see a cast like that?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote: No zillon SV, Im not buying another SV reel again after being burned by the SS. Im speaking of the Metanium vs the Chronarch MGLs since you cant seem to make up your mind. Right now the Met is 296 with free shipping on Digitaka. No warranty of course
I think Shimano America would fix it but it wouldn't be free like one that was under warranty. Where did you see a cast like that?
Some kid on youtube. Channel is "THE REEL TEST" throws a 1/4 casting plug 170ft with the JDM Metanium MGL. Films himself walking it off and everything. Only outcasts the 13 Metanium by around 10ft though, both badass reels.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 am

Can anyone share their recent experience with the MGL spool and salt water? How are the spools holding up when used for inshore fishing?

Thanks-

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 am

scrapiron wrote:Can anyone share their recent experience with the MGL spool and salt water? How are the spools holding up when used for inshore fishing?

Thanks-
Not made for saltwater, so they will corrode. If you are in the market for a Chronarch for saltwater, go with the G. Same reel as the MGL, with a slightly different spool.