Help deciding MGL, Zillion SV TW, OG Steez

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help deciding MGL, Zillion SV TW, OG Steez

Post by Frosty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:49 am

If anyone owns all three please weigh in. Or if you have the Zillion SV TW and/or the MGL because I don't own either of these. The purpose of the reels wouldn't be exactly the same the Zillion SV TW would be a skipping reel on my jig rod, but it's so hard for me to not get another finesse capable compact reel like the Steez or the MGL... How well does this MGL cast? I keep hearing it's great. I wanted a Scorpion, but months back the plastic worm gear in the levelwind scared me off of it.
And with an SV spool the old Steez is finesse capable as well. I'm not considering the Steez SV TW because the price is too much to swallow all at once :-({|=

Thanks

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help deciding MGL, Zillion SV TW, OG Steez

Post by oops » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:34 am

MGL as in Metanium MGL presumably? I have no experience with the others but own the Met. It has excellent casting distance which is to be expected, but what really makes the reel shine for me is how the braking system really lets you get dialed in in such a way that you can get absolute maximum distance, while also keeping casts nearly thumb-free.

I never fished my Met MGL side by side with other reels to be certain, but I do feel like it gives a small but noticeable increase in casting distance over other high end stuff I've fished in the past 6 years or so (Calais 100A, Calais DC, Core 50).

Small warning, I managed to fry the gears and the ARB in mine after only 3-4 months of use in saltwater. Maybe bad luck, maybe my fault, though I maintained it the same way I maintained every reel I've fished saltwater with, and aside from a problem with one of my Calais after over 5 years of use, this is the only significant problem I've had. I've not read of anyone else having any issues with theirs. Once I get it repaired I will be even more vigilant in maintaining it, hopefully I won't have any future issues.

*edit*
note that I have the jdm version, not sure if the specs/construction are the same as the usdm model

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:21 am

oops wrote:Small warning, I managed to fry the gears and the ARB in mine after only 3-4 months of use in saltwater.
Isn't the Met magnesium frame? I thought magnesium doesn't play well with saltwater?

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:34 am

oops wrote:MGL as in Metanium MGL presumably? I have no experience with the others but own the Met. It has excellent casting distance which is to be expected, but what really makes the reel shine for me is how the braking system really lets you get dialed in in such a way that you can get absolute maximum distance, while also keeping casts nearly thumb-free.

I never fished my Met MGL side by side with other reels to be certain, but I do feel like it gives a small but noticeable increase in casting distance over other high end stuff I've fished in the past 6 years or so (Calais 100A, Calais DC, Core 50).

Small warning, I managed to fry the gears and the ARB in mine after only 3-4 months of use in saltwater. Maybe bad luck, maybe my fault, though I maintained it the same way I maintained every reel I've fished saltwater with, and aside from a problem with one of my Calais after over 5 years of use, this is the only significant problem I've had. I've not read of anyone else having any issues with theirs. Once I get it repaired I will be even more vigilant in maintaining it, hopefully I won't have any future issues.

*edit*
note that I have the jdm version, not sure if the specs/construction are the same as the usdm model
I had the Curado 71 right when it came out and only made it a few trips and my gears had the same thing happen. But from what I read and hear it was an isolated incident.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:46 am

I have a Metanium MGL. Smoothest and best casting reel I have ever used, hands down. No experience with the others. Just a super solid, lightweight, smooth reel.
It is magnesium so don't use it in saltwater.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 am

I've been using a '13 Met in the salt for a while now, and have no frame corrosion at all. The '13 and the MGL are both rated for use in saltwater. I had the same corrosion issue with the main gear(and lower drag plate), and when I installed the new set I used CorrosionX grease and haven't had any more problems with them. Whatever they use is not corrosion resistant at all.

bassvet_87
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bassvet_87 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:53 am

I have MGL's and Zillion SV TW reels, and to be honest I like the MGL better. Now this is my opinion and everybody has one. To me the MGL has a smoother, much more quiet cast. And the retrieve is so smooooooth. Now I do like my Zillions, but to me MGL is the way to go. I can feel the difference between the reels, especially on the retrieve.

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:42 pm

The Met mgl is more refined. smoother retrieve. Better ergonomics. I am more comfortable casting with the mgl than the zillion sv tws. I really dig the silent tune technology as well in the shimano reels