Daiwa's Magforce brake impeded by the earth's gravity?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa's Magforce brake impeded by the earth's gravity?

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:54 am

poisonokie wrote:Earth's gravity is so weak compared to the centrifugal force of the spool and especially the electromagnetic force of the magnets that I'm sure the difference, while real, is negligible.
This .

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:07 am

Only on TT this would be hashed out and dissected !

Sorry OP ... :lol22: :offtopic:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:58 am

jpd0144 wrote:Only on TT this would be hashed out and dissected !

It's winter time. Is normal :lol:

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:17 am

poisonokie wrote:Earth's gravity is so weak compared to the centrifugal force of the spool and especially the electromagnetic force of the magnets that I'm sure the difference, while real, is negligible.
I would be interested to see an actual calculation. The gravity force along the spool axis is just the spool mass (including line) x gravitonal acceleration (9.81 m/s/s), and the cenrifugal force can be found, but estimating the magnetic force is harder....

Great post.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:27 am

Other than the magnets themselves there is nothing magnetic on a spool. The braking effect is the result of counter EMF or Eddy Current and not the result of the inductor being magnetic. In short the magnets do not pull the inductor outward towards them.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:41 am

jpd0144 wrote:Only on TT this would be hashed out and dissected !

Lol.

Anglers never complained before the advent of magnetic braking; they did pretty well catching fish with they bait cast gear they had.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:11 am

Interesting curve charts! I also was thinking of gratitation effect to Magforce. And beceuase of that I tried to tilt my reel (Tatula CT Type-R) 90 degrees during casts because I have seen in Youtube bass pros doing that. I found nothing else but it felt very strange to me.

In other topic (http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... 76#p637576) I was thinking to install HLC Spring to Steez 103 spool. And I made measurements for different spools how much spring force is when inductor is full out.

Ray’s ‘DIY’ Finesse spool: 14 g
SV Zillion original spool: 18 g
Steez 103 spool: 30 g
OG HLC Spool: 124 g

I didn’t take magforce system to apart and therefore I didn’t scale how much does inductors weight. But might standard Magforce Z inductor plus centrifugal weights be 2 g or something? Then there would be approx. +/- 7% difference. So there’s difference but can it be noticed during casts?

I’m just average baitcaster and my distane casts are less than 150 m. Maybe some better caster can noticed that +/- 7% difference. Between HLC and original Magforce even I can notice difference. :D But still effect to casting distance is not that big (138 m vs. 132 m).

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Strewth wrote:
I would be interested to see an actual calculation. The gravity force along the spool axis is just the spool mass (including line) x gravitonal acceleration (9.81 m/s/s), and the cenrifugal force can be found, but estimating the magnetic force is harder....

Great post.
The gravitational force is only working against the weight of the spool rotor when looking at the effect of reel position, that piece is so light there is very little change with different orientations.

crankenstein
Angler
Angler

Post by crankenstein » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:56 am

I called up Marty McFly, and he brought Doc Brown over for a consult on this. Doc said the 1.21 jiggawatts generated by the cast was negated by the Earth's downward gravitational pull on the lure. As he was blasting off Back to the Future in the DeLorean, he shouted "Great Scott!! Just go fishing!!!"

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:19 am

^ :D True

I changed HLC spring to Steez 103 spool. I scaled that Steez 103 spools Type-r+ inductor. It weighted aprox 1.5 grams. That's 5% of standard spring rate in full compress. I would say nobody could feel that +/- 5% difference.
Attachments
induktorin sisuskalut.JPG
Type-r+ inductor apart from spool
induktorin sisuskalut.JPG (234.17 KiB) Viewed 5241 times