(SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:13 pm
Location: Orland park,IL

Re: (Help)Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby phatbass » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=70035

even if this guy would have made them available to buy, i don't think i would want to glue that piece to the frame and i don't see how it would hold with that little surface area.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 am

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby jjbassnforfun » Sun May 20, 2018 11:12 am

Rippin-lips wrote:There's nothing available to make it click unless you can buy one from the guy who machined one or find an old junk reel and take that piece from it. They're pressed on but will come off if you work at it. The guy who makes the piece doesn't seem to respond to anyone's messages from what I've heard. I also messaged him with no response. I ordered the SS SV special washer kit from Hedgehog and that will allow you to use any of the Steez style cast control knobs available. Without the kit it's not a snug fit and adjustment is crap. Been there tried that already. Works great with the kit though.
Image

Sorry guys, Busted up my shoulder and was forced to stay away from fishing. Locator cuff in my cast shoulder.

Didn't seem to be that much interest in them and the pro's did nothing but bad mouth them............... So as to not tease myself with fishing topic. I just drank beer!! :( :doh:

I still have a few of the original lot left. and can make more if needed!! ;)
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 am

Re: (Help)Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby jjbassnforfun » Mon May 21, 2018 3:19 pm

phatbass wrote:

even if this guy would have made them available to buy, i don't think i would want to glue that piece to the frame and i don't see how it would hold with that little surface area.

Not glue! Epoxy and it holds fine, Mines going on 2 plus years and no issues even when sonic tank cleaned!

OEM zillion is also bonded IIRC with epoxy. Add some heat(375*F) and it will come out rather easy. ;)
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

User avatar
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby Rippin-lips » Mon May 21, 2018 8:17 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:There's nothing available to make it click unless you can buy one from the guy who machined one or find an old junk reel and take that piece from it. They're pressed on but will come off if you work at it. The guy who makes the piece doesn't seem to respond to anyone's messages from what I've heard. I also messaged him with no response. I ordered the SS SV special washer kit from Hedgehog and that will allow you to use any of the Steez style cast control knobs available. Without the kit it's not a snug fit and adjustment is crap. Been there tried that already. Works great with the kit though.
Image

Sorry guys, Busted up my shoulder and was forced to stay away from fishing. Locator cuff in my cast shoulder.

Didn't seem to be that much interest in them and the pro's did nothing but bad mouth them............... So as to not tease myself with fishing topic. I just drank beer!! :( :doh:

I still have a few of the original lot left. and can make more if needed!! ;)


I’d be interested in 2 of them myself. Have they all been tested to make sure they function 100% ?
I believe Ian has a few from your first run and he mentioned that he could only make a couple work fully.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 am

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby jjbassnforfun » Tue May 22, 2018 5:47 am

Rippin-lips wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:There's nothing available to make it click unless you can buy one from the guy who machined one or find an old junk reel and take that piece from it. They're pressed on but will come off if you work at it. The guy who makes the piece doesn't seem to respond to anyone's messages from what I've heard. I also messaged him with no response. I ordered the SS SV special washer kit from Hedgehog and that will allow you to use any of the Steez style cast control knobs available. Without the kit it's not a snug fit and adjustment is crap. Been there tried that already. Works great with the kit though.
Image

Sorry guys, Busted up my shoulder and was forced to stay away from fishing. Locator cuff in my cast shoulder.

Didn't seem to be that much interest in them and the pro's did nothing but bad mouth them............... So as to not tease myself with fishing topic. I just drank beer!! :( :doh:

I still have a few of the original lot left. and can make more if needed!! ;)


I’d be interested in 2 of them myself. Have they all been tested to make sure they function 100% ?
I believe Ian has a few from your first run and he mentioned that he could only make a couple work fully.


Yes, Ian poo poo'd em. He wants drop in's and with manufacturers and machining tolerance stack ups. Its not possible!! A parts changer likely wouldn't be able to handle the mod. Just sayin!!

I've got 10 plus SV103 reels tweaked and even did a Fuego for E73Bass and I haven't heard a complaint from....... At least he never complained directly to me anyway!! I also have 15 SS SV's and a few Tatula's with moded clicking CCC's Doing tourney duty as well...

An oem fiber washer from a ZLN SV TW(see pic- item #58) is all that's needed to keep the click spring from popping out of position. I like the ZLN SV TW CCC as well(color of choice) As it is not as tall as the ZLN OG CCC. With the OG cap, You may need to install a thinker spacer/washer under the CCC. This will keep the CCC from bottoming out on the side plate before spool tension is achieved. See pic, #8 is the spacer thickness you'll need to play with. I can include an assortment if need be?? Easy peazy IMHO!! Or just buy a zillion side plate and paint them if you'd like??
Attachments
SV TW.JPG
SV TW.JPG (57.31 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Cast Con cap.JPG
Cast Con cap.JPG (22.15 KiB) Viewed 498 times
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:57 pm

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby E73Bass » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:39 pm

He made 2 for me on my Fuegos and its 2+ years and they are holding up fine. Bought 2 TDZ 103 spool tensioner knobs.

Many do not understand the real reason for a spool tensioner. It can limit casting distance.

But the most important part is what it does after the cast and after the lure hits the water. I have many baits and techniques that I want as vertical of a drop on slack line as possible without pulling the lure from the target in a pendulum fashion.

This Clickies are nice and help to fine tune.

Hoping for one on each of my SV105's.

fishonsc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:43 am

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby fishonsc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:56 am

I just picked up a 103sv. Which drag stars will work with this reel? Can you use parts from a OG zillion with this reel? Thanks!

User avatar
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby Rippin-lips » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am

fishonsc wrote:I just picked up a 103sv. Which drag stars will work with this reel? Can you use parts from a OG zillion with this reel? Thanks!


Any swept drag star that has the threaded hole in it. Yes, you can, it’s built off the og zillion and shares a lot of the same parts. Just depends on what specific parts you’re talking about.

fishonsc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:43 am

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby fishonsc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 am

Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:I just picked up a 103sv. Which drag stars will work with this reel? Can you use parts from a OG zillion with this reel? Thanks!


Any swept drag star that has the threaded hole in it. Yes, you can, it’s built off the og zillion and shares a lot of the same parts. Just depends on what specific parts you’re talking about.


Dress up parts but mainly spools. Thanks!

User avatar
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby Rippin-lips » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:51 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:I just picked up a 103sv. Which drag stars will work with this reel? Can you use parts from a OG zillion with this reel? Thanks!


Any swept drag star that has the threaded hole in it. Yes, you can, it’s built off the og zillion and shares a lot of the same parts. Just depends on what specific parts you’re talking about.


Dress up parts but mainly spools. Thanks!


SV103 uses a 34mm spool and the og zillion uses a 36mm spool. You can use any spool in your 103 that fits a steez/tdz/T3/IS. Not sure what dress up parts you want but for instance the alumin sideplate screws would be the same as the og zillion.

fishonsc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:43 am

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby fishonsc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:I just picked up a 103sv. Which drag stars will work with this reel? Can you use parts from a OG zillion with this reel? Thanks!


Any swept drag star that has the threaded hole in it. Yes, you can, it’s built off the og zillion and shares a lot of the same parts. Just depends on what specific parts you’re talking about.


Dress up parts but mainly spools. Thanks!


SV103 uses a 34mm spool and the og zillion uses a 36mm spool. You can use any spool in your 103 that fits a steez/tdz/T3/IS. Not sure what dress up parts you want but for instance the alumin sideplate screws would be the same as the og zillion.


Thanks! Great info about the spools. Mainly wanting to change the cast control knob. I seen where you can use a steez if you get the ss sv kit from hedgehog. Thanks again.

User avatar
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby Rippin-lips » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:52 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:I just picked up a 103sv. Which drag stars will work with this reel? Can you use parts from a OG zillion with this reel? Thanks!


Any swept drag star that has the threaded hole in it. Yes, you can, it’s built off the og zillion and shares a lot of the same parts. Just depends on what specific parts you’re talking about.


Dress up parts but mainly spools. Thanks!


SV103 uses a 34mm spool and the og zillion uses a 36mm spool. You can use any spool in your 103 that fits a steez/tdz/T3/IS. Not sure what dress up parts you want but for instance the alumin sideplate screws would be the same as the og zillion.


Thanks! Great info about the spools. Mainly wanting to change the cast control knob. I seen where you can use a steez if you get the ss sv kit from hedgehog. Thanks again.


Yes, you can. I have one on mine. Adjustment isn’t as tight as I’d like it to be but what can you do...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby mark poulson » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
Any swept drag star that has the threaded hole in it. Yes, you can, it’s built off the og zillion and shares a lot of the same parts. Just depends on what specific parts you’re talking about.


Dress up parts but mainly spools. Thanks!


SV103 uses a 34mm spool and the og zillion uses a 36mm spool. You can use any spool in your 103 that fits a steez/tdz/T3/IS. Not sure what dress up parts you want but for instance the alumin sideplate screws would be the same as the og zillion.


Thanks! Great info about the spools. Mainly wanting to change the cast control knob. I seen where you can use a steez if you get the ss sv kit from hedgehog. Thanks again.


Yes, you can. I have one on mine. Adjustment isn’t as tight as I’d like it to be but what can you do...


Can you put a shim in the cast control cap to tighten it up? I've done it with a disc from a clear margarine tub top.

User avatar
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby Rippin-lips » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:48 am

mark poulson wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Dress up parts but mainly spools. Thanks!


SV103 uses a 34mm spool and the og zillion uses a 36mm spool. You can use any spool in your 103 that fits a steez/tdz/T3/IS. Not sure what dress up parts you want but for instance the alumin sideplate screws would be the same as the og zillion.


Thanks! Great info about the spools. Mainly wanting to change the cast control knob. I seen where you can use a steez if you get the ss sv kit from hedgehog. Thanks again.


Yes, you can. I have one on mine. Adjustment isn’t as tight as I’d like it to be but what can you do...


Can you put a shim in the cast control cap to tighten it up? I've done it with a disc from a clear margarine tub top.


I’m sure you could if you felt the need to. It has plenty of adjustment in the way of spool tension. The ccc itself is just pretty easy to move with the ss/sv washer kit from HH. It’s not going to randomly fall off or anything. I just wish it was a hair tighter to turn.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:57 pm

Re: (SLP TATULA "Click" works?) Is it possible to install clicking spool tensioner on SV103?

Postby E73Bass » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:53 am

Rippin-lips wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
SV103 uses a 34mm spool and the og zillion uses a 36mm spool. You can use any spool in your 103 that fits a steez/tdz/T3/IS. Not sure what dress up parts you want but for instance the alumin sideplate screws would be the same as the og zillion.


Thanks! Great info about the spools. Mainly wanting to change the cast control knob. I seen where you can use a steez if you get the ss sv kit from hedgehog. Thanks again.


Yes, you can. I have one on mine. Adjustment isn’t as tight as I’d like it to be but what can you do...


Can you put a shim in the cast control cap to tighten it up? I've done it with a disc from a clear margarine tub top.


I’m sure you could if you felt the need to. It has plenty of adjustment in the way of spool tension. The ccc itself is just pretty easy to move with the ss/sv washer kit from HH. It’s not going to randomly fall off or anything. I just wish it was a hair tighter to turn.



Can someone send me a link to this Hedgehog SS SV Kit....I want to order one.

Thanks,
Eric


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests