Daiwa Steez SV vs. SS SV vs. Zillion SV TWS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa Steez SV vs. SS SV vs. Zillion SV TWS

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:17 am

Can anyone compare these reels based on performance and function? I know their are price differences but I am looking for pros and cons of each. Thank you.

P.S. Any additional performance/function regarding the Steez A and Tatula CT SV TWS would also be helpful but I know there are only a select few who have held those reels and even fewer who have fished them.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez SV vs. SS SV vs. Zillion SV TWS

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:36 am

The SS SV gets noisy after some use and when paired to the stock spool lacks casting distance when compared to other SV reels. The drag, while very smooth, is very weak. NIB for $199 it is still a viable option for the 103 spool compatibility and light weight. I use mine for BFS with a DIY spool in it. It's a good reel if you're willing to change the spool out or just use it as short distance target casting and skipping reel.

The Steez SV should be much smoother and quieter than the SS SV and is certainly worth the upgrade IMO. Even my Steez Limited with an abnormally noisy retrieve (for a Steez) is quieter and smoother than my SS SV. My IS73 (Megbass Steez) is much smoother as well.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:40 am

I own Steez SV TW and Zillion SV TW

Pros for Steez SV TW
Light weight, nice balance with BFS, ML rods
I guess better throws lures under 1/4Oz, because of the G1 spool (11gram)
Cons: Price point

Pros for Zillion SV TW
Price, better sits on MH, Heavy rods, because of the heavier weight
No difference in casting distance if you throw any lures over 3/8Oz, identical stock bearings on both reels
Cons: Don't have any, casts, skip lures really well.
Both reels really smooth and quite (I relubed and added 4 additional bearings to Zillion)

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:20 am

Steez SV TW is on its way 2017 so hold your horsies and start saving!
Performance-wise, it's the flagship model that has all the latest technology Daiwa has developed so it's supposed to be better than all other Daiwa reels unless paired against some specialty variants that excel at one specific area. And neither the SS SV nor the Zillion SV TWS is a specialty reel so you can expect the Steez to outperform both of them.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:26 am

I feel alone at times in that everyone else doesn't seem big on the SS/SV, I bought mine for like $180 after getting a gift card and using a sale... I cannot cast 1/8oz like my SV105, but I have 12lb Invisx on mine and chunk 3/16 Easy Shiners (4" on ball head). If price goes into consideration it is one of my favorite. Everyone talks about the more aggressive brakes, so I simply turn mine down and adjust the tension accordingly. But for an absolute fact it doesn't throw like the other 2 reels mentioned... My SS/SV range is 3/16 to 5/8 on a Medium powered rod with 12F.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:17 pm

I also picked up an SS SV on sale. It's been spooled with 12 Invizex and casts a 1/8 Bitzy Bug Jig a respectable distance. I understand the noise issue. My SV103 is quieter. May be it's the frame material. I like the reel very much regardless. A Steez is on my wish list, new or pre owned.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Dink Dawg wrote:I also picked up an SS SV on sale. It's been spooled with 12 Invizex and casts a 1/8 Bitzy Bug Jig a respectable distance. I understand the noise issue. My SV103 is quieter. May be it's the frame material. I like the reel very much regardless. A Steez is on my wish list, new or pre owned.
So after reading more and more, I have kind of become nervous. With the SV105 on sale and the SV103 only $70 more than the $200 I paid for my SS/SV, did I mess up??? Honestly so far mine is great, bombs small lures as far as I need, amazing control with the spool (girlfriend and dad can fish 3/16 easily), but I have read so much negative. Everyone says they get rough and crap out. I don't really see how they do if they share the aluminum gears and magnesium frame of the Steez (I understand the braking profile differences, first hand at that)...

Are they generally unreliable? I am lucky now to fish once or twice a week and all 12 of my combos get fairly equal use, should I expect repairs or failures? Or are most here used to the best of the best and just being good critics?

PS I love my two Zillion TWS 9.1, and 7.3; I know they weren't the best reviewed either.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:38 am

I don't think they crap or anything just that they develop some noise and vibration over time but are very smooth out of the box. I guess it's only natural given that they are a magnesium framed reel with aluminum gears. They're just not going to be a smooth and quiet as a reel made from 8 ounces of aluminum with brass gears like the SV103.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm

LowRange wrote:I don't think they crap or anything just that they develop some noise and vibration over time but are very smooth out of the box. I guess it's only natural given that they are a magnesium framed reel with aluminum gears. They're just not going to be a smooth and quiet as a reel made from 8 ounces of aluminum with brass gears like the SV103.
Fair enough, if it ever does go out on me, I figure I could either find brass gears from another reel like it (steez, 103 style?) or just let by gones be by gones and realize I only spent about $180 on it.