Reel Gear Physics

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel Gear Physics

Post by Tony9 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 am

First off I'd like to say that I am not a physicist nor is it my specialty and will probably be wrong with these figures. Please feel free to chime in and correct me.

Sometimes when I'm bored at work the gears in my head turn it gets me thinking... A lot of people TT like to upgrade their handle length to increase the torque of their reels (myself included). This got me thinking about the equivalent gear ratio of the reel with the new longer handle compared to the old handle.

Example 1:
Daiwa Luna 103L
5.8 gear ratio
80mm stock handle

I swapped in a 100mm handle, an effective gain of 25% more torque. 80mm (1.25) = 100mm. Which makes it easier to retrieve in those deep diving crankbaits. Using the same theory of 25% gain. Would it be the equivalent of the Luna having with a 4.64 gear ratio with the 80mm handle? 5.8 / 1.25 = 4.64.

Example 2:
Daiwa Alphas SV
7.2 Gear Ratio
80mm stock handle

Swapped in a 90mm handle. An increase of 12.5%. So 7.2 / 1.125 = 6.4 with the 80mm handle.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reel Gear Physics

Post by alafly » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 am

I check and calc "inches per turn" if it's easier...

I saved the following link before who did the similar calc as you did above.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishin ... advantage/
Tony9 wrote:First off I'd like to say that I am not a physicist nor is it my specialty and will probably be wrong with these figures. Please feel free to chime in and correct me.

Sometimes when I'm bored at work the gears in my head turn it gets me thinking... A lot of people TT like to upgrade their handle length to increase the torque of their reels (myself included). This got me thinking about the equivalent gear ratio of the reel with the new longer handle compared to the old handle.

Example 1:
Daiwa Luna 103L
5.8 gear ratio
80mm stock handle

I swapped in a 100mm handle, an effective gain of 25% more torque. 80mm (1.25) = 100mm. Which makes it easier to retrieve in those deep diving crankbaits. Using the same theory of 25% gain. Would it be the equivalent of the Luna having with a 4.64 gear ratio with the 80mm handle? 5.8 / 1.25 = 4.64.

Example 2:
Daiwa Alphas SV
7.2 Gear Ratio
80mm stock handle

Swapped in a 90mm handle. An increase of 12.5%. So 7.2 / 1.125 = 6.4 with the 80mm handle.
Last edited by alafly on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"North" of America...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 am

To muddy things up some more there is also a correlation between handle length and the rate of line recovery. Rapid small circles of the hand are more easily made and sustained with a short radius of the circle rather than a long radius.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:58 am

alafly wrote:I check and calc "inches per turn" if it's easier...

I saved the following link before who did the similar calc as you did above.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishin ... advantage/
Tony9 wrote:First off I'd like to say that I am not a physicist nor is it my specialty and will probably be wrong with these figures. Please feel free to chime in and correct me.

Example 1:
Daiwa Luna 103L
5.8 gear ratio
80mm stock handle

Example 2:
Daiwa Alphas SV
7.2 Gear Ratio
80mm stock handle

Really interesting read. Thanks for the link!

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:30 am

LowRange wrote:To muddy things up some more there is also a correlation between handle length and the rate of line recovery. Rapid small circles of the hand are more easily made and sustained with a short radius of the circle rather than a long radius.
The comfort level making smaller vs. larger circles is relative person to person. It actually may be easier or more comfortable turning a larger radius for some hands and situations. I know for me the stock handle on my Cacutta 100 XT was very foriegn and uncomfotable for me to use. Imagine trying to turn ,as an arbitrary example, a 40mm handle .
I feel in more cases than not the upgrade in torque on a sensibly lengthed handle upgrade far outways the extra circumference when turning.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:50 am

Changing handle length is not gonna change how much line is taken up per turn, a gear ratio would though. The handle will change the comfort at which you turn the handle, and you may be able to turn it more rotations per second depending on what handle length works best for you. Torque, well thats another story.
<")))><{

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Handle length has zero effect on line retrieved per turn. The axis on which the drive gear turns is unaffected, and with so leaves the gear ratio unaffected. Think of it if you will, as a bycicle. You can put longer pedal cranks on your bike to give you more torque and power, but your bikes gear ratio remains the same.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:42 am

The size of the fisherman seems to be important. The Japanese are smaller than Americans, and, in general, you will see shorter handles on many JDM reels. I like to make fun of the Japanese for being dainty :D , but I'm really just upset that I have to put a 90mm handle on my JDM reels that don't have them. The shorter handles probably fit the Japanese, as whole, better than the longer handles. I don't think that a change of 10mm changes the torque so much that I can't reel in a big fish with an 80mm handle, but it is understandable that people change to a longer handle to get every advantage possible when fighting bigger fish.
I have tried many shorter and longer handles on various ratio standard size reels. I find the 90mm handle to be my sweet spot from finesse up to punchin'. Your results may vary.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:56 am

Utter drivel. How are people so easily confused?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 am

I would not argue any of the figures, I'm sure they are right. The only reason I put longer handles on is because it is more comfortable for me. Making those little bitty circles is hard for me at 64. I know the difference is not much when I go to a longer handle but it feels better to me, and really the user is the only one who counts.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 am

Example 1:
Daiwa Luna 103L
5.8 gear ratio
80mm stock handle

Example 2:
Daiwa Alphas SV
7.2 Gear Ratio
80mm stock handle

Adding a longer handle is not changing the torque of the reel. Adding a longer handle only makes it easier to apply the same amount of torque to the input shaft. The amount of torque applied to the spool is a direct result of the gear ratio.
In other words a 100 lbs of torque is a 100 lbs of torque, regardless if is it applied with a 10 inch or a 10 ft wrench. The 10 ft wrench obviously makes it easier to apply, this is the benefit of leverage.

Two reels, each with a different gear ratio , one is a 6.0:1 reel the other is a 7.0:1 reel, apply an equal amount of torque to the input shaft and the reel with the lower gear ratio will provide more torque to the spool. Two reels with an equal gear ratio, 5.0:1, the reel with the taller gears will provide more torque to the spool.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:17 am

Adding longer handle does increase the torque being applied to the drive shaft though, because torque equation takes into account of distance between the pivot point to the point where you are applying the force. Think about it this way; when you are adding more length to the handle, you are increasing the distance that you have to rotate to achieve one rotation due to the larger diameter, so you are applying more force to cause it travel the same distance that shorter handle would.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 am

Tavery5 wrote:

Example 1:
Daiwa Luna 103L
5.8 gear ratio
80mm stock handle

Example 2:
Daiwa Alphas SV
7.2 Gear Ratio
80mm stock handle

Adding a longer handle is not changing the torque of the reel. Adding a longer handle only makes it easier to apply the same amount of torque to the input shaft. The amount of torque applied to the spool is a direct result of the gear ratio.
In other words a 100 lbs of torque is a 100 lbs of torque, regardless if is it applied with a 10 inch or a 10 ft wrench. The 10 ft wrench obviously makes it easier to apply, this is the benefit of leverage.

Two reels, each with a different gear ratio , one is a 6.0:1 reel the other is a 7.0:1 reel, apply an equal amount of torque to the input shaft and the reel with the lower gear ratio will provide more torque to the spool. Two reels with an equal gear ratio, 5.0:1, the reel with the taller gears will provide more torque to the spool.
So, if your logic were correct, a longer wrench with the same size socket wouldn't add torque?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 am

toddmc wrote:
Tavery5 wrote:

Example 1:
Daiwa Luna 103L
5.8 gear ratio
80mm stock handle

Example 2:
Daiwa Alphas SV
7.2 Gear Ratio
80mm stock handle

So, if your logic were correct, a longer wrench with the same size socket wouldn't add torque?
It definitely adds leverage.
<")))><{

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:10 am

...or , what we really care about, power. The option for increasing power without changing gears.