New Chronarch Video

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Chronarch Video

Post by brownhl » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 am

Legacy Fishing has a nice video on the New Chronarch. It answers a lot of questions.

hysupra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Chronarch Video

Post by hysupra » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:50 am

Link?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:57 am

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:34 am

Thanks for posting. I'm gonna be broke this year... :crying:

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 am

I watched that video and would love to have one. Hard to buy one when you can get the metanium mgl for basically the same price. Just got email from them and they're available for pre order and suppose to be in stock next week

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Fwiw Japan lure shop has these in now for $230 and the metanium mgl for $290 before shipping. Only a $60 difference and that's considering the metanium mgl retails for over $400. There are some chronarch mgls popping up on eBay now for $250 & free shipping. Hopefully there will be users that'll fish both and determine if the $60 difference is justifiable

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:59 pm

If the Chronarch is similar but better then the old CI4 then I would like it for spinnerbaits, topwaters, lipless cranks, buzzbaits, chatterbaits and such. I like the old CI4 for these apps better then the Met. For anything bottom bouncing, I go with the Met and for most bottom bouncing applications the Japan version of the Met MGL has plenty of line capacity.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 am

Hennessy wrote:Fwiw Japan lure shop has these in now for $230 and the metanium mgl for $290 before shipping. Only a $60 difference and that's considering the metanium mgl retails for over $400. There are some chronarch mgls popping up on eBay now for $250 & free shipping. Hopefully there will be users that'll fish both and determine if the $60 difference is justifiable
Depends what techniques and types of fishing I'll be using it for. Moving baits will always prefer the Chronarch, as well as inshore fishing. The Chronarch is probably the best value in the lineup. I always wonder why the price of the Met Is so low(a $130 difference) while the Chronarch price barely changes(usually $20-$50 difference)?

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:58 am

Hennessy wrote:I watched that video and would love to have one. Hard to buy one when you can get the metanium mgl for basically the same price. Just got email from them and they're available for pre order and suppose to be in stock next week
I looked at the new MGL Chronarch. Had the Ci14. Sold it and bought 2 13's and 1 MGL.

NO REASON AT ALL TO EVER BUY A CHRONARCH MGL. JUST GET THE MGL!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:26 am

I had my chronarch mgl out today, started out with 4 brakes on and the dial on 1 just to let the line settle in, overrun on the first cast. Throwing a pointer 78. 12 lb flouro spooled straight from my scorpion. Turned the dial all the way to 6 and the distance was not anything to get excited over. Dialed it down 4 and distance was better. Decided to go down to 1 and blew it up lol. I see potential in this reel to outcast the Ci4 but not by alot. Granted I only got about 10 casts on it. Will Def need more time on it. For now met mgl is a league above based on my short experience. I think the brake pipe needs to be wiped down.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:40 pm

looking forward to your second report. I would think the brake set-up the same as the MGL????? I think my MGL is set to 1 brake ON plus external dial. Could be 2 brakes ON. I set mine up one way and a friends another. My experience with the scorpion was very different but it is not a MGL model

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Bootytrain wrote:I had my chronarch mgl out today, started out with 4 brakes on and the dial on 1 just to let the line settle in, overrun on the first cast. Throwing a pointer 78. 12 lb flouro spooled straight from my scorpion. Turned the dial all the way to 6 and the distance was not anything to get excited over. Dialed it down 4 and distance was better. Decided to go down to 1 and blew it up lol. I see potential in this reel to outcast the Ci4 but not by alot. Granted I only got about 10 casts on it. Will Def need more time on it. For now met mgl is a league above based on my short experience. I think the brake pipe needs to be wiped down.
Hoping your next attempt to dial it in is more successful. I have one of these on the way and had always found the braking on my CI4 Chronarchs to be consistent, well behaved, and easy to dial in. Was really hoping the new MGL would be more like reviews of the Met MGL and that it would be as well behaved. Was also hoping it would not as seemingly untamed as the Curado/Scorpion 70.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 am

Kschultz76 wrote: Was also hoping it would not as seemingly untamed as the Curado/Scorpion 70.
x2, was not even thinking this a possibility.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:29 am

DavidSA wrote:
Kschultz76 wrote: Was also hoping it would not as seemingly untamed as the Curado/Scorpion 70.
x2, was not even thinking this a possibility.
I'm hoping it's an over oiled brake pipe. If it's not then running anything but 4 brakes on may not be a possibility for me. But on the other hand this is not a Metanium and we should remember that.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 am

What about the 17 Scorpion DC?
Its about 15 bucks more from JLS. Been trying to decide on something new to pair with a Poison Adrena 1610M hoping to use it for jerkbaits and some topwater.