Aldebaran BFS for saltwater redfish?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Duweezy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Aldebaran BFS for saltwater redfish?

Post by Duweezy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:11 am

Hi all,

First off, I was wondering if I could use the new Shimano Aldebaran in saltwater. Second, if I can use this reel in saltwater, could I be able to get away with tossing light lures (1/32-1/16 jig heads) to tailing redfish (Texas slot 20-28") paired with the right rod of course. I was thinking 6-10 lb test braid should suffice on it. I'm sure it would work but just would like to get others opinions. I realize a possible bull red would be a workout :lol:

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Aldebaran BFS for saltwater redfish?

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:30 am

Shimano website says it's OK but I'd wait for the new Scorpion BFS which is aluminum. Performance should be the same because it looks to have the same spool and brakes.

Duweezy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Duweezy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:43 am

That reel seems like a winner to me. I will not be doing much blind casting with it so weight is not really a factor. Thank you.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:57 am

We've been using Aldebarans wade fishing for trout and reds for a while now, and they have held up great. Only problem I can see is casting a topwater and hooking a red on a long cast, not leaving much line on the spool. Have caught reds up to around 35" and reel still feels like new.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:06 am

Bootytrain wrote:Shimano website says it's OK but I'd wait for the new Scorpion BFS which is aluminum. Performance should be the same because it looks to have the same spool and brakes.
This. I'd wait for the Scorpion BFS.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:03 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:We've been using Aldebarans wade fishing for trout and reds for a while now, and they have held up great. Only problem I can see is casting a topwater and hooking a red on a long cast, not leaving much line on the spool. Have caught reds up to around 35" and reel still feels like new.
That's pretty impressive! Are you using the 15 Aldebaran or 2009 version? I'm considering buying one of the 09's again...

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:18 am

Like JB I use 15 Aldebarans and still have a few 09 Aldebaran/Cores in the rotation for Redfish. They are both excellent reels and if properly maintained have no problem in the saltwater. I also agree with Jeff that a long cast with the BFS could get you into serious trouble with a Red.

If you are fishing in Marsh areas, then I think you will be fine. I wouldn't use one in an open water situation though. I own two Brenious reels and use them in the Marsh quite a bit and they do very well with lightweight baits running 20lb braid. I have seen the spool several times but the Reds always run out of room to run in the marsh.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:15 am

Frosty wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:We've been using Aldebarans wade fishing for trout and reds for a while now, and they have held up great. Only problem I can see is casting a topwater and hooking a red on a long cast, not leaving much line on the spool. Have caught reds up to around 35" and reel still feels like new.
That's pretty impressive! Are you using the 15 Aldebaran or 2009 version? I'm considering buying one of the 09's again...
My apologies to the OP, I somehow missed the BFS part of the title, but we've been using the 15 Aldebaran. They have actually held up better than my Metaniums in the salt. Used to use Core 51s for a couple years, and they were also great reels that held up very well to the harsh conditions.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:05 pm

The 16 Aldebaran BFS I think should hold up fine. It has very tight tolerance reminiscent of many revos, unlike a lot of non Japan made Shimano's. It also has a good chunk of CI4+ which my CI4+ spinning reels have held up to salt better than anything else I've owned. I have a few 16 Aldebaran BFS and the plan is to make one of them a dedicated salt reel this spring, hope it holds up!

I'm thinking spool removal and rinse, air dry, light pat down of reel, sound good? So far only my Revo LTZ has handled salt well.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:11 pm

The stock spool is very sturdy and you should be able to fish very tight drag no problem. 100 yards of micro braid should fill the spool about halfway and will cast great. The only issue is the max drag I believe is only 3lbs.

Duweezy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Duweezy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 pm

I have been using a core 50mg7 for the past 6 years in the salt with no problems and a '15 aldebaran recently with no problems. I mainly fish off a kayak so they usually get a little bit of saltwater on them every trip. Of course being magnesium reels I take fairly good care of them. I'm just worried if the new bfs model had any components suspectable to corrosion. I'm sure the frame itself would be fine, just making sure before I drop some serious cash on a reel. In the scorpion bfs description it states that it's for the "saltwater game" so it'll probably fit the bill better and I'll be able to save some money vs the aldebaran.

When fishing for reds I normally just toss a 1/8-1/4 oz jig head with a soft plastic while sight casting. It's fustrating when sometimes the splash of the lure will spook the fish. I feel like I'll have more of an advantage with a more delicate presentation with bfs gear. I have a ultralight spinning outfit but have a difficult time making accurate casts vs a baitcasting setup, sometimes you have to hit them right in front of their face. I have a different setup I use for topwaters and other applications but that is repetively making blind casts.

I appreciate everyone's feedback