Met MGL vs Curado 70 for my applications

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Met MGL vs Curado 70 for my applications

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:30 am

DavidSA wrote:Nothing like urgency to get action =D>

I'm interested to fish my fathers when it arrives. I'm sure for pitching it is the bomb. For casting into a wind on a cold day with a light lure and 15# FC line I will reserve judgement on until I test for myself. My 13Mets are the bomb with 30# braid and I was disappointed when I put FC line on last winter and learned the reel was human. I liken it to something to do with the new brake system.
Lol I've yet to find any braking system that can easily handle average Flouro over 14 lbs without having to turn up the brakes. And I have reels with all the braking systems from pretty much all manufacturers

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 am

our unique casting styles makes a slight difference as well

I will be sure to test the scorpion out on a realistic but typical early spring day side by side with my Chronarchs

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 am

the scorpion 70xg is a sweet reel ,palms well , would make a excellent pitchin/flippin reel.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 am

I use my 71 xg for froggin on my steez frog rod.

I love it, it cast my frog a mile, it is light, the drag is a beast, the ergonomic is perfect, fast retrieve. I just tune it with a 98mm metanium handle to add some crancking power.

With a microclick system on the friction drag like the one on lews reels, it would be a 10/10 rate reel for its price.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:02 am

Bootytrain wrote:
DavidSA wrote:Nothing like urgency to get action =D>

I'm interested to fish my fathers when it arrives. I'm sure for pitching it is the bomb. For casting into a wind on a cold day with a light lure and 15# FC line I will reserve judgement on until I test for myself. My 13Mets are the bomb with 30# braid and I was disappointed when I put FC line on last winter and learned the reel was human. I liken it to something to do with the new brake system.
Lol I've yet to find any braking system that can easily handle average Flouro over 14 lbs without having to turn up the brakes. And I have reels with all the braking systems from pretty much all manufacturers
I know you guys are Daiwa/Shimano people, but I found the Quantum Smoke PT, the original burner 7/1, can throw 17-20 lb BPS fluoro all day with just centrifugal brakes. I set them with 2 brakes on, and a fast drop spool tension, and just fish. In the wind, I tighten the spool tension a little, but the two brakes still work fine. I think it has a 14 gram spool.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:37 am

I sometimes find a super hot reel is challenged by wind. I recall getting my first MG7 and loving it until I fished 16# FC with a 1/4oz total weight worm in March temps/wind. Just a bit squirrely compared to the older Chronarch MG50. I will test the Scorpion.

Were you guys aware the spool capacity of the scorpion appears the same as the Japan version of the Metanium MGL?

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:25 am

i noticed that. i assume the JDM spool sacrifices line capacity for performance? Anyone fished both?

Im not so sure how accurate the line capacity ratings are. i know there is a significant difference between US and Japan ratings but this is strange. I have not heard anyone mention that the spools were a different size on the Curado and Scorpion.

Curado 70 - 85 yards of 12#
Scorpion 70 - 100m (109 yards) of 12#

But the Aldebaran is not so far off:

US Aldebaran - 85 yards of 12#
JDM Aldebaran - 80m ( 87.5 yards) of 12#

I have a feeling the US Curado 70 holds more line than the US Aldebaran 50. not sure why Shimano USA gives them the same line capacity rating.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Sometimes the only way to really understand the line capacity is to spool one reel then transfer that line to another reel. I will spool the scorpion first then transfer it to the MGL. I agree shimano ratings seem to be complex and at times inconsistent. I was looking at the US shimano website between the MGL and CI4 and it appears the CI4 may have more line capacity even though both rated 150 size reels. If fishing braid none of this matters and the smaller spool is actually better as it should perform better and save line. It is only when I go to 20# FC on a distance based application such as a C-Rig does this matter to me.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:36 am

Since the yen is down, wheres everyone buying the scorpion 70?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 am

Black Haze wrote:Since the yen is down, wheres everyone buying the scorpion 70?
I got mine from JLS, but if you want free shipping go digitaka. I use JLS because of the free gifts for repeat customers. I got hooked up with a sweet Bantam rip flash jerkbait and on another order a jackal deracoup

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Black Haze wrote:Since the yen is down, wheres everyone buying the scorpion 70?
$196 after shipping a few days ago at Japan lure shop

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Digitaka has most of the Scorpion models in stock. $175 shipped.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:00 am

bigfruits wrote:Digitaka has most of the Scorpion models in stock. $175 shipped.
Damn nice price

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:37 am

yep, Z put me onto this about a week ago. My Dad ordered from them. No shipping cost either.