Issue with new Tatula

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Issue with new Tatula

Post by ElectricAngler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi all, bought a new Tatula Type-R today and I am noticing something odd.. have not fished with the reel yet but I have noticed sitting around playing with it that occasionally when I press the button and start reeling something is not engaging properly. Typically when I start reeling it's very smooth and I can send the handle spinning, but once very 10 presses or so the handle spins very slowly and I have to crank the handle to keep the spool spinning. If I press the button again and start reeling it seems to fix itself.. Maybe this is normal, I am pretty new to baitcasters, but I have never seen this happen before. I don't suspect it would make much difference while fishing as I'll be cranking the handle if I'm reeling with a fish on, but I'm worried something is wrong. Hoping someone can confirm if this is typical or not.. I'll gladly send the reel back for a replacement, but don't want to waste my time if this is just something that happens?

Anyone have any insight? would be much appreciated! thanks

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Issue with new Tatula

Post by TommyG » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:59 pm

Sounds like the drag is set too loose, tighten the drag and see if it does the same thing.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:36 pm

That's all I own now. I did have that happen once on one reel but never happened again. But I have notice in some of my other older Daiwa reels that has happened. I believe it didn't engage properly and I don't believe it had anything to do with the drag. As I tried disengaging and reengaging several times to my Tats and nothing happened.That leads me to think it just isn't engaging properly and I would send it back for a replacement.

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:53 am

I had this happen with one particular reel from another manuf.
I asked Ian (e-basser) and he suggested I check the spool shaft for debris or burrs near the pinion gear/yoke section.
I did, and couldn't see anything, but my eyes aren't what they once were, so I cleaned the shaft, rubbed that part down with some metal polish on a fine cloth, cleaned and reoiled it, and reassembled the reel.
The problem went away.

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:19 am

Thanks for the info everyone.. This seems to happen once every 15 - 20 times I press the button, very frustrating as I wanted to go fishing this weekend :( Oh well, I will look for any noticeable imperfections when I get home later, and most likely get a return started.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 am

I have a TD-Z that I got that is NIB and when the drag is loose and I press the thumb bar and turn the handle, the spool doesn't spin all the time. If I slightly touch the spool it very slightly clicks and then everything is okay. If I tighten the drag up to about medium drag pressure, it doesn't do it. I had an Aldebaran that did something similar with drag pressure all the way down too.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:28 am

Did you tighten the drag and try it? That may be all that there is to it. Try it out.

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:47 am

Yes, I tried it with the drag in various positions and had the same issue. I got the return started, but I will tinker with it a bit more when I get home to see if I missed something.

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:50 am

Also you are right, sometimes when I barely tap the spool I hear a click and the reel corrects itself. Most of the time is does not manage to do that though.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:56 am

ElectricAngler wrote:Also you are right, sometimes when I barely tap the spool I hear a click and the reel corrects itself. Most of the time is does not manage to do that though.
Try greasing the thumb bar release mechanism.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:00 am

ElectricAngler wrote:Thanks for the info everyone.. This seems to happen once every 15 - 20 times I press the button, very frustrating as I wanted to go fishing this weekend :( Oh well, I will look for any noticeable imperfections when I get home later, and most likely get a return started.
I had the same issue with my Tatula, if you reassemble the button it would fix it.

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:02 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try later today and report back.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:42 am

Ive had that happen with a few reels , especially old garcia's..it's usually lack of grease or lack of good grease on the thumb bar mechanism. penn grease works well , a light coat with a acid brush.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:15 am

When you have pressed the thumb bar and go to turn the handle to engage the spool, are you turning the handle slowly and softly? I ask this because most reels I have don't like to have the spool engaged that way and often but not always, become stuck mid engagement producing a odd sensation in the retrieve of resistance and drag. I have a T3 Ballistic that is notorious for this.

When you go to engage the spool, grab a hold of a knob, turn the handle like you mean it and make the guts snap into place with an audible click and THEN start reeling.

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:26 am

It definitely is more common if I do it gently, but when I was testing it repeatedly last night I was giving it a good crank to snap it into place and still having the same thing occur.

So ABCD sales from amazon has already sent me a pre-paid shipping label and says they will ship a replacement as soon as I drop the item off with UPS. Hard not to just take them up on that. If nothing else I can at least recommend these guys, good service.