Issue with new Tatula

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Issue with new Tatula

Post by Teal101 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:31 am

Most likely the spool isnt re-engaging into the pinion due to lack of tension on the spool. The pinion spins and in doing so it spins the spool instead of the spool dropping into the pinion slots. If there is tension on the spool like fishing line, that will hold the spool in place for the pinion to rotate and the spool pin to drop in and engage. It is more apparent with a drag turned down since there isnt enough drag to rotate the pinion well and the spool never engages.

Place your thumb lightly on the spool and try it. You'll feel when the spool drops into full engagement on the pinion.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 am

ElectricAngler wrote:It definitely is more common if I do it gently, but when I was testing it repeatedly last night I was giving it a good crank to snap it into place and still having the same thing occur.

So ABCD sales from amazon has already sent me a pre-paid shipping label and says they will ship a replacement as soon as I drop the item off with UPS. Hard not to just take them up on that. If nothing else I can at least recommend these guys, good service.
That's the smart play! Let them replace it. A new reel should not have problems right out of the box.

OleTC
Angler
Angler

Post by OleTC » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 am

I had the same symptoms on a Tatula R, since I fished it a few days.
The cure was to grease the release and engage mechanism for the free-spool, inside the reel.
'Liquid grease' gives me the best result. Must not be too thick a grease.
You know that You can engage the freespool button with Your thumb, pressing it up? Test if this will make it engage, when the problem occurs.

Do agree, that Daiwa could improve here.

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I decided to go through with the return since it was made so simple to do so by the seller. All of this has however gotten me quite interested in reel maintenance/cleaning/repair. I am really considering tearing down my revo sx for a deep clean as it is about 3 years old now and likely needs it. I work on electronics/PCBs for a living so I am not to concerned with things like small parts, wondering if anyone has any wisdom they would like to share in terms of where to grease, where to oil, is it worth it to bother buying drag grease and touching up the washers, etc?

You guys are awesome by the way, happy new year

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:55 pm

I clean and lube my own reels, and, for me, the key is having a step-by-step process that helps to eliminate problems.
I put a clean cloth down on my well lit work area, so if I drop something it won't bounce and get lost, or get dirty.
On a new reel, I take cellphone pictures of the entire disassembly process, if I'm not familiar with that type of reel, so I can see where everything came from.
Go slow, use common sense, and make sure you put the little pinion release springs in a safe place when you first open the handle side of the reel. Don't ask me why! Hahaha
There are videos on Utube that show you how to clean reels. They are worth watching several times.
Good luck.

BassTrap316
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BassTrap316 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:12 pm

If I understand you correctly, I have the same issue on an old Daiwa Advantage. I just press the button back up with my thumb and away I go. It's a minor inconvenience, but it dose not really effect my fishing.
Do you hear His call? John 3:16

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I hear you BassTrap, just figure since it's new may as well get it replaced. And thanks for the suggestions Mark, I been watching lots of youtube videos. One thing I can't seem to find a clear answer on is the drag washers however, do any of you guys grease them with drag grease? And is it really worth it? Tried to buy some Cal's on amazon but it's either sold out or silly expensive for a tub of grease.. The drag on my revo seems to be working fine so I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Went a little nuts today and bought a cranking rod and revo winch. Thank goodness I'm single lol...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:30 pm

ElectricAngler wrote:I hear you BassTrap, just figure since it's new may as well get it replaced. And thanks for the suggestions Mark, I been watching lots of youtube videos. One thing I can't seem to find a clear answer on is the drag washers however, do any of you guys grease them with drag grease? And is it really worth it? Tried to buy some Cal's on amazon but it's either sold out or silly expensive for a tub of grease.. The drag on my revo seems to be working fine so I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Went a little nuts today and bought a cranking rod and revo winch. Thank goodness I'm single lol...
I found Cal's grease here: http://www.biggreenfish.com/

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:21 am

Thanks for the link, that is great.

kercha83
Angler
Angler

Post by kercha83 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:45 am

Exact same thing happened to my on my 1 month old Tatula CT-R and the problem was the yoke spring. It was doing the same thing that you were saying and I keep playing around with it and all the sudden the reel just locked up. I took the reel apart and found that the yoke spring worked its way out and when it did it got lodged between the drive gear and pinion gear.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:56 am

kercha83 wrote:Exact same thing happened to my on my 1 month old Tatula CT-R and the problem was the yoke spring. It was doing the same thing that you were saying and I keep playing around with it and all the sudden the reel just locked up. I took the reel apart and found that the yoke spring worked its way out and when it did it got lodged between the drive gear and pinion gear.
Is that the reel you sent in to The Tackle Trap for warranty repair? There have been a few minor issues with some of the Tatula CT models, but they have been few and far between. TTT is a Daiwa Service Center regardless where the reels were purchased should anyone else have similar issues, feel free to get in touch!

The Tackle Trap is also a Tackle Tour sponsor and sells Cal's drag grease here:

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... h=898_2350
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

kercha83
Angler
Angler

Post by kercha83 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:53 am

yes that is the one I sent in to you guys to get repaired.
bronzefly wrote:
kercha83 wrote:Exact same thing happened to my on my 1 month old Tatula CT-R and the problem was the yoke spring. It was doing the same thing that you were saying and I keep playing around with it and all the sudden the reel just locked up. I took the reel apart and found that the yoke spring worked its way out and when it did it got lodged between the drive gear and pinion gear.
Is that the reel you sent in to The Tackle Trap for warranty repair? There have been a few minor issues with some of the Tatula CT models, but they have been few and far between. TTT is a Daiwa Service Center regardless where the reels were purchased should anyone else have similar issues, feel free to get in touch!

The Tackle Trap is also a Tackle Tour sponsor and sells Cal's drag grease here:

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... h=898_2350

ElectricAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by ElectricAngler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:26 pm

So I got the replacement reel today (the return is still in transit, thumbs up ABCD sales) and it has the same issue. Guess it's a feature.. Like I mentioned originally maybe this is typical, but I'm gonna call Daiwa tomorrow for the official word. I hear you guys with the thumb bar but it is pretty weak to expect your customers to work on the reel straight out of the box. I'm kinda torn cause I like the reel, and I know some of you guys do it anyways :D When it spins freely it's definitely impressive. I'll keep y'all updated.

Curado looking might fine right about now..

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:08 pm

ElectricAngler wrote: One thing I can't seem to find a clear answer on is the drag washers however, do any of you guys grease them with drag grease? And is it really worth it? Tried to buy some Cal's on amazon but it's either sold out or silly expensive for a tub of grease.. The drag on my revo seems to be working fine so I'm just wondering if it's worth it.
Don't use any grease on the washers on your revo. They come from the factory dry and you already said they are working fine. I've got about 12 pair of carbontex washers in various shimano reels and I put as light a coat on as possible. Too much and the point of the upgrade is moot. Daiwa, lews, and abu I run dry and the reels seem to work better that way.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:06 am

lifeofRiley wrote:
ElectricAngler wrote: One thing I can't seem to find a clear answer on is the drag washers however, do any of you guys grease them with drag grease? And is it really worth it? Tried to buy some Cal's on amazon but it's either sold out or silly expensive for a tub of grease.. The drag on my revo seems to be working fine so I'm just wondering if it's worth it.
Don't use any grease on the washers on your revo. They come from the factory dry and you already said they are working fine. I've got about 12 pair of carbontex washers in various shimano reels and I put as light a coat on as possible. Too much and the point of the upgrade is moot. Daiwa, lews, and abu I run dry and the reels seem to work better that way.
I actually put a tiny bit of Quantum Hot Sauce on my Abu drag washers to make it a little smoother. I don't get the 20 pounds of drag, but it's a lot smoother and more consistent than if I were to run them dry.