Daiwa SV103 vs Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa SV103 vs Zillion SV TW

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:57 am

Hi all - Looking at these two reels and have been researching all that I can find on here and the web about them. Seems like I can't find a bad thing about either which is great :D . The prices are identical and both feature the SV spools. That is about where the list of similarities end and where I need you all to help decide which is better for me.

For the differences:
I can see that the SV103 is heavier
The Zillion SV TW is on the same frame as the Tat CT and features more of a compact or traditional handle knob
The SV 103 would accept other 103 sized spools if I am not mistaken

So for those of you that have used both or just one I would like your feedback on the reel.?
Which do you feel like is the better distance caster for things like plastics and jigs where wind resistance could play a part. Which reel seems more comfortable to palm in hand?
How would you rate the smoothness of either reel to other Daiwa reels you have used
Are the reels really much difference performance wise or is mostly just in the frame, weight, and handle knobs? :-k

Decided I am going to treat myself to one of the two for a Christmas present to myself. 8-) Thanks all!

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa SV103 vs Zillion SV TW

Post by Cracker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:24 am

When I been choosing between both I decided to go with Zillion SV TW, because of

1. Lighter weight
2. TWS - better casting distance

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:58 am

I'll likely pick up one of these reels in the future and it will be difficult to chose at the time of buying. I'll likely pick up an SV103 because:

1. Not a Tatula
2. Is a real Zillion

I've heard that the tat zillion TWS SV is an excellent distance caster and can skip as well. I don't know how well the SV103 casts but my concern is that it may not cast as far as the TWS SV.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:14 am

I'm pretty interested to see where this thread goes as I've been looking at both for quite some time also. I have been leaning towards the SV103 mostly because it's on the OG Zillion platform.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:11 am

If you are an OG Zillion fan and not a weight wennie, get the SV103.

If you want to try something different (and haven't tried the TatCT yet), get the Zillion SV TW. Long leaders are the only thing that might cause a problem for it.

Both are fantastic reels for under $250 most places.

DaveJ

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:15 am

I have 3 of the Zillion SV TW reels and they are fantastic. I do not own the SV 103, so I have no opinion of them. I guess it boils down to whether you are a fan of the TWS or the line guide style on the SV103. I think both reels would serve you well.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:08 pm

I own both. I have a SV103XS and a Zillion TWS SV 100HS. I have fished both side by side on the same rod/line/lure. The TWS SV Zillion does cast a bit further, but not just because of the TWS. It has a lighter G1 spool in it compared to a slightly heavier A7075 spool in the SV103XS. As for skipping, I give the nod to the SV103. The heavier spool seems to work well with the braking to exhibit more control. Both reels fish incredibly well. I tend to lean towards the SV103 more often than not, just due to my comfort with the OG Zillion platform.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:06 pm

For what it's worth and I don't own a Zillion SV TW, the SV103 palms better. The Zillion is about the size of a Shimano Chronarch / Curado 200E. I chose the SV103 due to this, the fact that it's all aluminum, and a time proven platform still made in Japan. That doesn't mean something to everyone, but I'm old school. I took the G1 spool out of my Steez SV TW and popped it in the SV103. Casting with light and heavy baits was marginally better. Nothing to blow your skirt up over. The SV103 is going to be more robust, yet still capable of handling both ends of the spectrum.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:10 pm

PikeRoadBassn wrote:I own both. I have a SV103XS and a Zillion TWS SV 100HS. I have fished both side by side on the same rod/line/lure. The TWS SV Zillion does cast a bit further, but not just because of the TWS. It has a lighter G1 spool in it compared to a slightly heavier A7075 spool in the SV103XS. As for skipping, I give the nod to the SV103. The heavier spool seems to work well with the braking to exhibit more control. Both reels fish incredibly well. I tend to lean towards the SV103 more often than not, just due to my comfort with the OG Zillion platform.
I agree with Bryan on this one. Both reels are excellent in terms of overall performance, but do have their differences. I get a little more distance with less effort using the Zillion SV TW, but the SV103 is smoother overall, feels more powerful and more refined. The original Zillion platform is a personal favorite, so the SV103 is a natural fit for me. I've added a few more SV103 to my line up while keeping only one Zillion SV TW. Anybody wanting to give one a shot, get in touch with The Tackle Trap - pricing is competitive with just about anyone out there and TT is a Tackle Tour sponsor!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:18 pm

bronzefly wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:I own both. I have a SV103XS and a Zillion TWS SV 100HS. I have fished both side by side on the same rod/line/lure. The TWS SV Zillion does cast a bit further, but not just because of the TWS. It has a lighter G1 spool in it compared to a slightly heavier A7075 spool in the SV103XS. As for skipping, I give the nod to the SV103. The heavier spool seems to work well with the braking to exhibit more control. Both reels fish incredibly well. I tend to lean towards the SV103 more often than not, just due to my comfort with the OG Zillion platform.
I agree with Bryan on this one. Both reels are excellent in terms of overall performance, but do have their differences. I get a little more distance with less effort using the Zillion SV TW, but the SV103 is smoother overall, feels more powerful and more refined. The original Zillion platform is a personal favorite, so the SV103 is a natural fit for me. I've added a few more SV103 to my line up while keeping only one Zillion SV TW. Anybody wanting to give one a shot, get in touch with The Tackle Trap - pricing is competitive with just about anyone out there and TT is a Tackle Tour sponsor!
Do you still need to use your thumb with these reels?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:02 am

mark poulson wrote:Do you still need to use your thumb with these reels?
You can set them up so you wouldn't need to use your thumb at all, but in my opinion, you'd be inhibiting the optimal performance you could gain by having them set up more freely.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:28 am

bronzefly wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Do you still need to use your thumb with these reels?
You can set them up so you wouldn't need to use your thumb at all, but in my opinion, you'd be inhibiting the optimal performance you could gain by having them set up more freely.
Thanks.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks for the replies fellas! :D

Looks like distance wise the Zillion SV TW edges out the SV103 while the SV103 has a smoother and more refined retrieve.

I wonder if there is any difference in regards to casting of lighter baits?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:20 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas! :D

Looks like distance wise the Zillion SV TW edges out the SV103 while the SV103 has a smoother and more refined retrieve.

I wonder if there is any difference in regards to casting of lighter baits?
My TW SV Zillion will almost launch a 1/4 oz. spinnerbait into orbit. I haven't tried anything lighter than that with it, because it is spooled with 17# Sufix Siege. I'm confident it will go lower than that.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:40 am

Thanks for all the input. I have decided on the Zillion SV TW for now mainly due to it being lighter, further caster, and I like the knobs better. 8-)