Shimano Aldebaran vs Daiwa SV105. Which is better?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Aldebaran vs Daiwa SV105. Which is better?

Post by stingray23 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:12 am

I'd like to hear some feedback from people that own these reels, especially those who own both. Also, whats the difference between the SV105 and the SS SV103?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Aldebaran vs Daiwa SV105. Which is better?

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:52 am

aldebaran because of the weight, the sv105 is the better deal though. sv103 is same frame as og zillion.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:24 am

sv 105= alphas frame ss 103 sv = steez frame

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:50 pm

reznor wrote:sv 105= alphas frame ss 103 sv = steez frame

Gotcha, now which is the preferred reel?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:12 pm

stingray23 wrote:
reznor wrote:sv 105= alphas frame ss 103 sv = steez frame

Gotcha, now which is the preferred reel?
I prefer the Aldebaran. It is lighter. My Aldebaran is also a tighter package and slightly more smooth than my Alphas. I prefer the looks of the Aldebaran. However, we are talking small differences and I love both reels. Whenever someone new to baitcasting reels asks me which to get, the Alphas is the first reel I mention. For the price, I have found no better reel.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:29 am

Both great reels. The SS is the least popular of the 3.

The Aldebarans are better stock, but for you invest the price difference in upgrades (bearings, handle, drag) for the Alphas they are neck and neck and it is down to user preference.

I have a Met DC XG and Brenious for example... Both are awesome reels, but for some reason my Diawas just feel "right" to me so I use them more.

If you know someone new to baitcasters that will use 15lb braid the Brenious is a fantastic starter reel that can throw anything 1/8-1oz long and controlled.

DaveJ

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:13 am

If I wanted distance I'd go Aldebaran and if I wanted to skip thumb free like a mad man I'd go Alphas SV. I went Alphas SV because of this vid and haven't looked back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NxIFMtRT4

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:22 am

Oh and the SS SV is kind of a piece of junk. I've got one and it is very hallow and stock spool while very controlable seems to have very strong breaking profile that really chokes off distance. the reel is smooth but emits all sorts of clunks and bangs that aluminum bodied reels deaden out. I use mine for BFS with a DIY spool and that DIY spool bounces back and forth in the pinion making all sorts of noises my IP68 with DIY spool and Alphas SV with DIY spool never made. My advice is that anyone looking at an SS SV should just go Alphas SV instead or pony up for a Steez SV TWS or 2nd hand Steez SV.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:10 am

LowRange wrote:If I wanted distance I'd go Aldebaran and if I wanted to skip thumb free like a mad man I'd go Alphas SV. I went Alphas SV because of this vid and haven't looked back.

I remember watching that video too. I always wanted to do that,lol. I have a bunch of Shimanos and wanted to get a few Daiwas to compare. I already bought an SV105HS last week that I havent tried out yet. I had my eye out for that Aldebaran since it came out but now that I'm into Daiwa too, I figured let me look at the SV105. I guess I cant lose with either one. Is there enough drag power on these reels?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:59 am

stingray23 wrote:
LowRange wrote:If I wanted distance I'd go Aldebaran and if I wanted to skip thumb free like a mad man I'd go Alphas SV. I went Alphas SV because of this vid and haven't looked back.

I remember watching that video too. I always wanted to do that,lol. I have a bunch of Shimanos and wanted to get a few Daiwas to compare. I already bought an SV105HS last week that I havent tried out yet. I had my eye out for that Aldebaran since it came out but now that I'm into Daiwa too, I figured let me look at the SV105. I guess I cant lose with either one. Is there enough drag power on these reels?
Most say the Alphas needs a drag upgrade unless used primarily in open water.

DaveJ

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:31 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:

DaveJ
Interesting option. Though the line capacity makes it really hard to use for anything else than ultra finesse. Also not sure on the weight..

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 am

The Aldebaran holds 5 yards less than the SV105 (of 12lb). I love my SV105, and don't hate my SS/SV. The only mentionable issue with the SV105 I can imagine is the claims of stuck inductors, I have personally never experienced this in over 2 years of hard fishing. If it does happen, a Zillion SV TW ramp wI'll prevent spool sticking completely.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:34 pm

The Alde is probably the more refined reel, but I prefer Alphas. I just prefer Daiwa's braking and mod/tuning options.
Alde- magnesium frame, aluminum gears, 4.7oz.
Alphas- aluminum frame, brass gears, 6.1oz.
Both have ci4/zaion side plates.
Alphas bonus- $100+/- cheaper, and you can swap parts & spools from any alphas/zonda ever made.

Both are rad little reels, likely just boils down to your daiwa/shimano preference. Diawa guys will lean Alphas, Shimano guys will lean Alde.

If going shimano... personally I'd pick the older Alde/core 50 over the new one, and drop in the brass 7.7 brenius gears + white brake pins. That'll really give the alphas a run for its money. They dubbed the Alde the alphas killer when it came out, but with that configuration I'd say it might be more of a td-z killer- in that you get a compact magnesium reel + numerous spoil options + high speed brass gears(available for RH guys too). Still giving the nod to Daiwa for braking system though.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:53 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:

DaveJ
Interesting option. Though the line capacity makes it really hard to use for anything else than ultra finesse. Also not sure on the weight..
Not really. The SV105 holds 200' of 16# Sniper FC.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:58 pm

spookybaits wrote:The Alde is probably the more refined reel, but I prefer Alphas. I just prefer Daiwa's braking and mod/tuning options.
Alde- magnesium frame, aluminum gears, 4.7oz.
Alphas- aluminum frame, brass gears, 6.1oz.
Both have ci4/zaion side plates.
Alphas bonus- $100+/- cheaper, and you can swap parts & spools from any alphas/zonda ever made.

Both are rad little reels, likely just boils down to your daiwa/shimano preference. Diawa guys will lean Alphas, Shimano guys will lean Alde.

If going shimano... personally I'd pick the older Alde/core 50 over the new one, and drop in the brass 7.7 brenius gears + white brake pins. That'll really give the alphas a run for its money. They dubbed the Alde the alphas killer when it came out, but with that configuration I'd say it might be more of a td-z killer- in that you get a compact magnesium reel + numerous spoil options + high speed brass gears(available for RH guys too). Still giving the nod to Daiwa for braking system though.
I have the SV105 with HH air and a Core50 with HH air bearings. Fished them many times side by side and I would most definitely choose the Core50 over the SV105. I would choose the Curado 70 over another SV105.