Update on Shimano spinning reel binding issue

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Update on Shimano spinning reel binding issue

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:35 pm

I posted a few weeks ago concerning binding in several shimano symetre FJ reels. I have done considerable research since then on the internet and talking to other fishermen I know concerning the issue. This concerns ANY shimano spinning reel which has had binding issues. Some people have used a reel for only a few days and others it took a couple years of use before the reel began to bind. What happens is that during a continuous retrieve the reel develops rough spots where the handle takes more force to turn, or during a pause on retrieve the handle is very difficult to start again or sometimes is almost completely stuck. The most common models I've read about or talked to someone about are the symetre or sahara, although it has been reported on some stradics. In many instances it seems to become worse during heavy rains or when anglers are fishing from a kayak, canoe, or wade fishing. My research has shown several possible reasons. One often cited is the black friction ring found on many spinning reels throughout the early 2000s (years). This friction ring was said to swell when wet, and sometimes deform, causing it to cause the problem by contacting the inside surface of the rotor, although some people removed the friction ring and the problem still persisted. Others reported that there are certain plastic bushings in shimano spinning reels that when saturated with water due to rain or dunking into the lake as is common in kayak or wade fishing will swell and cause the issue. I also saw a post that said the washers in the drag stack would swell under these conditions and cause binding, and that replacing with smooth drag washers seemed to prevent the issue. More mechanical issues that would cause binding in any spinning reel are a bent main shaft or tooling grooves on any of the gears or oscillating parts inside the reel. Also a culprit could be stiff bearings that are underlubricated, which I do not believe causes many of these issues because it seems to only be a problem with certain model reels. One last thing I read is that the very tight tolerances on the reels could cause binding when excessively wet, due to water entering the reel body and then hydrolocking when the water compressed. I'm just wondering for those of you who have had a binding issue with a shimano spinning reel and successfully fixed it, what did you do to the reel? I have had it happen with 1 sahara and 2 symetrys and am more curious than anything about it. Since then I have purchased 3 stradic 2500FA's and have never had a binding issue with any of them. I also have 2 Diawa Tierras, but went away from them due to the anti-reverse failure that happens with them in cold weather. Thanks to anyone who has solved this problem and will share information on it. I really love my Shimano reels and hope to fix the rare few that are having this problem.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Update on Shimano spinning reel binding issue

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:37 pm

I had a Symetre that had a binding problem. Removed the friction ring, and it started working fine.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:27 pm

when it happened to my symete i was told to check the friction ring as well.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:20 am

Check the "Handle Screw Lock Washer". The plastic piece tends to break and doesn't hold it's position causing binding to occur.

Part 12159:

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:53 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. Aquaholik that is a good tip. Just out of curiosity is there an interchangeable/updated friction ring I can put on this older reel and does anyone have a part number. What is the purpose of the friction ring and if removed all together does it cause the rotor to feel sloppy?

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:36 am

When you open the bail, it extends an L shape rod against the friction ring so that the bail won't slam shut during the cast.

Take my advice and open the knob opposite the handle size and make sure that the little plastic piece is not broken and that it is seated against the knob.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:25 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies. Aquaholik that is a good tip. Just out of curiosity is there an interchangeable/updated friction ring I can put on this older reel and does anyone have a part number. What is the purpose of the friction ring and if removed all together does it cause the rotor to feel sloppy?
I have removed the friction rings in two of my three Sustain FE's (not due to binding issues). No difference in retrieve. No slop. As mentioned the friction ring assists with bail not slamming shut on beginning the retrieve. You should be closing the bail by hand so this should be a non issue.