Looking to Shimano one more time

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Looking to Shimano one more time

Post by goldrod » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 pm

I loved to Chronarch D / Core ergonomics so much that i havent really bought another shimano in a long time.
I had the JDM Conquest in the higher speed and although I loved the reel, it was a 200 which I think was the reason I sold it.
Still I loved the way it casted and looking into the shimano realm once more. I kinda like the new metanium mgl, but i see that TWH has it for 419 where as JT.com has it for 357 and I am wondering will the price drop on this side of the world. I really like the looks of the reel but my main concern is the fully detachable side plate. So I am looking at the Antares and I like what it looks like and it has the micro module gearing that i miss, but i hear that it is too heavy. I am middle of the road right now cause IMO,
the SV spool from Daiwa is just as good as any DC reel. This is only my perception as i dont have any DC reels but i think that. Maybe I am wrong with thinking that but I just feel what it took shimano to do with a chip, daiwa did with a spool. Which brings me to the Daiwa SV103. A zillion type platform I love but with something extra and I am a little used to the SV spool being I have it in my Steez. To me its a GREAT topwater casting reel, because most of the time your casting into the wind or just casting at pin point targets.

My question is what you decide on if you were looking for a new shimano or would you just go back to daiwa and get an SV103 OR do you just such up the weight of they antares?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Looking to Shimano one more time

Post by John G » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Reels that have sideplates that detach completely are a non issue for me after using one. I don't look at the Shimano DC's the way that you do. I look at them, or most of them, for the cool factor that comes with it. The only DC Shimano that I have ever used is the 50DC so it's not like I am spooling it on every cast because I don't ever spool it. It's a 50DC and that alone makes it worth owning. I am 5'7" and I have normal size hands for a guy my size. My problem with the 12Antares was not the weight. My problem with the 12Antares was it's size. The damn thing in my hands is huge and that is why I sold mine.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:35 pm

If I were to acquire any shimano reel, it would be a 15 Metanium DC. Lots to like about that reel. Aside from that I'm all SV spooled Daiwas. The cool factor is definitely there, but I don't know if it's 500 dollars cool. Fish what you like. Life's to short to not. I saw the review of the Metanium stating this is the 1st DC reel that can comfortably handle 3/16. All the SV reels I have fish 1/8 no problem.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Using 8lb Big Game, the 50DC easily handles a Baby Griffon/Baby Griffon Zero and they are just under 3/16oz.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:58 am

I really enjoy ergo and performance of the CHD7 platform so can relate with the fondness of that series. I owned the 12 Antares and Metanium reels you mentioned. Those reels were great performers but the ergo just did not work for me, mainly the clutch bar was too tall for my liking. I do have a Conquest 100HG that uses the new tech which Shimano offers and comfy ergo for me. It's the only newer Shimano that I have kept in the last few years. I know there is a ton of praise for the Metanium platform but it just didn't feel comfy to me. I lean towards Steez reels for the lighter stuff and use Core 100s, D7s, or TDZ/Zillion platform for heavier stuff.
I've owned a few DC reels too, including a Calais. They performed well but the extra weight from the braking circuitry was always present and they never seemed a leap above Mag or Centri reels performance in my hands. I think the SV spools from Daiwa are very user friendly and provide a gob of control if needed. I presently own an SV spool for a Steez and only employ it when there is a desire to skip baits, which it does really well for me.I prefer Mag V stuff from Daiwa because they can really sing with a nice light casting motion. Tough decision but if were shopping for new reels now the SV103 would sit at the top of a list. Though I've been too distracted by purchasing Core100s and Steez 103s from the auction site recently.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:25 pm

The Antares isn't as heavy as I thought after looking at the TWH.com listing. They are relatively close in their weight

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:00 am

While I have never owned Daiwa's I have never had an issue with the removable side plate on any of my Shimanos. What's the concern with them? Is it ergonomics, the plate coming loose while casting or having to pull the plate to adjust the brakes?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:51 am

TFOUR wrote:While I have never owned Daiwa's I have never had an issue with the removable side plate on any of my Shimanos. What's the concern with them? Is it ergonomics, the plate coming loose while casting or having to pull the plate to adjust the brakes?
Its my perfrerence that the side plate doesnt fully detach. I have reels whose side plate comes completely off. I dont have an issue per say. I have Mostly D7's and Cores MG7's so I like shimano , even have a couple E50 curado's. If the Conquest was faster in the 100 series i'd be all over that..I love the conquest, the new platform esp. just dont need the 200 size , with all the line capacity

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 am

The conquest is available in Japan in the hg version.
The side plates coming off doesn't bother me at all. I rarely ever have to adjust my brakes on my reels- but I have a reel for each technique I use. I think the new mgl's are great, I also love the aldebarans. As for the dc reels, I have an Antares dc on my list. I'm pretty sure it is smaller than the regular Antares and lighter as well.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:39 pm

goldrod wrote:
TFOUR wrote:While I have never owned Daiwa's I have never had an issue with the removable side plate on any of my Shimanos. What's the concern with them? Is it ergonomics, the plate coming loose while casting or having to pull the plate to adjust the brakes?
Its my perfrerence that the side plate doesnt fully detach. I have reels whose side plate comes completely off. I dont have an issue per say. I have Mostly D7's and Cores MG7's so I like shimano , even have a couple E50 curado's. If the Conquest was faster in the 100 series i'd be all over that..I love the conquest, the new platform esp. just dont need the 200 size , with all the line capacity

That makes sense, I have larger hands so the 200 size never bothered me. If I ever feel like I don't need the capacity I usually just use old line to fill the space. Saves money at least.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:07 am

Large capacity reels give you the ability to use heavier line and still have enough line for long casts. I use my 200 reels for 5" swimbaits on 20lb fluoro. Long casts through tulles and grass require both capacity and line strength.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm with ya OP, I don't like fully detachable sideplates either.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:55 pm

spookybaits wrote:I'm with ya OP, I don't like fully detachable sideplates either.
Thanks
I was starting to think that I was on an island. Got the SV103 until I get another conquest