Quantum Tour MG PT any good?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Quantum Tour MG PT any good?

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:14 am

Are these any good? I just picked one up on clearance at Cabela's for 150$. Seems really nice, casts good, just not familiar with Quantum reels long term, except for cheaper spinning reels. They had several at this price, if they are any good, i may pick up another

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Quantum Tour MG PT any good?

Post by GaterB » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:05 am

Please fish it and let me know! I've been curious about those reels for a while now.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:53 am

nikbrewer wrote:Are these any good? I just picked one up on clearance at Cabela's for 150$. Seems really nice, casts good, just not familiar with Quantum reels long term, except for cheaper spinning reels. They had several at this price, if they are any good, i may pick up another
I fished Quantum for over 20 yrs exclusively. I NEVER had one problem with any of their reels. Their PT reels are great. I would not hesitate to buy those Tour MG reels. I'm sure they are on discount because Quantum will have new reels coming out soon. For $150, I would definitely buy them.

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:22 am

so far, i am very happy with it. Have it on a cabela's MH rod ( also on clearance) and it casts worms w/ a 1/16 oz weight like a dream. I recently got a 13 fishing KP as well, seems as smooth as it.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:12 am

It is made by doyo, same as the kp and other 13 fishing reels, and also the same as okuma. I don't own this specific quantum, but I've owned several accurist and energy reels. I have always liked quantum's acs braking system, but the reason I have gotten rid of my quantums and replaced with daiwa and shimano is that after a few seasons, the quantums began to get noisy and developed back play in the handle and looseness in the knobs. Even with cleaning they would smooth out for a few trips then be back to the same issues. Admittedly this was on the previous generation reels and none were at the price point of this reel so the issue may be nonexistent with this reel or any newer quantums. I've heard very good things about this reel and if I didn't have so many nice reels already I'd be tempted to give this a try at that price

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:01 am

I was under the impression that the 13fishing, Quantum and Okuma reels were Banax rather than Doyo. Either way I have a KP and while it is very light weight, the retrieve is lacking in refinement and not up to par with my SS SV.