Spending big money on spinning reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spending big money on spinning reel?

Post by TahoeDust » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:56 pm

I did not have a problem shelling out a decent chunk of change for my Conquest and Metanium, but for some reason have not been able to pull the trigger for a true high end spinning reel.  I have some nice ones...a new '16 Stradic CI4+, a Stradic FK, a JDM Soare CI4+, but I keep getting tempted to pick up Something more in the league of the Conquest.  A Twinpower, '16 Vanquish, or even a Stella.  I don't regret spending the money on the Conquest or Met at all...they are both truly exceptional.  So my question to the guys that shelled out for the high end spinners, are they worth it?  Do you regret it?  Also which would you recommend for the money?  Twinpower for ~$330, '16 Vanquish for ~$440, or go all the way...Stella ~$650?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spending big money on spinning reel?

Post by DavidSA » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:56 pm

If you like spinning gear, then it would be as worth it as baitcasting gear. I have two nice spinning reels (not stella class) sitting at home not in the boat. I'm afraid Stella would be sitting next to them :doh:

One more thing I ran into is almost no one services spinning reels so you will need to get creative to get them worked on.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:15 am

I used to be cheap when buying spinning gear but now I own 3 top end spinners and I never been happier. And YES, its definitely worth the money!

I think your choice should depend on how much you're going to be using the reel, and how long you plan on keeping it. If you want to keep it for more than 10 years I would only buy the Stella. If you're only going to use the it around 20 times a year or less I would say consider something a little cheaper. I have briefly used the new stella, it's amazing in every aspect. I have never used the other two but I hear they are both excellent.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:42 am

DavidSA wrote:If you like spinning gear, then it would be as worth it as baitcasting gear. I have two nice spinning reels (not stella class) sitting at home not in the boat. I'm afraid Stella would be sitting next to them :doh:

One more thing I ran into is almost no one services spinning reels so you will need to get creative to get them worked on.
There are places that will service spinning reels. The cost may be a bit higher per reel compared to a baitcaster. Thetackletrap will service them.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:14 am

DavidSA wrote:

Fishing4fun is right, most places will service spinning reels. Here in wersten pa tackle unlimited is a certified Daiwa & shimano dealer, they will service all the high end reels.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:14 am

Keep in mind.

Servicing JDM reels (shimano , daiwa )even if they have a usdm equivalent is as of this writing becoming a crap shoot.

THEY WILL return them to you even if after a decent argument over the phone.

Not sure of the future with the yen regaining strength again. As i suspect that was a big cause (supporting us distributors by denying service)

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 am

buy used Stella's.

Best way to get deals...

Lots of folks who feel spinning tackle isn't cool and dump them off for decent savings to the buyer.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Yes absolutely its worth ut to buy big $$ spinning reels. If you fish a lot with a spinning reels i have found even the lower cost reels (around $200 mark) wear out after a few seasons and get noisy, loose and less smooth. Even with proper maintenance i find the lower cost reels like the stradic just dont last and permanently loose their smoothness. This is not the case with the stella for example. With proper maintenance this reel could last for decades and still be smooth. This is a case of getting what you pay for...tighter tolerances, superior quality components and made in japan definitely helps.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Stella: it's amazing and it's worth it and it's in the boat. I never understood why folks spend the dough for a really nice reel, tool, or fire arm and never used them because they're afraid they might get dinged. Life is too short and if you've work for it and you bought it; enjoy it: 'cause you can't take 'em with you. my 2 cents.

Gloomis34
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gloomis34 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:28 am

Shimano high end spinning reels are amazing I have 2 vanquish C2500hgs a Stella C2000hgs, c2500hgs and 2500hgs I can never get enough of them they are extremely durable I have dropped them fell and landing on them hardly a ding on them shimano doesn't have an issue repairing them it's usually best to talk to the tech because they have a better understanding on what to do to repair them. Performance wise you get more then what you pay Goethe reels are built to perform and last and it is fun to add custom shimano yumeya parts to them.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Dexter wrote:Stella: it's amazing and it's worth it and it's in the boat. I never understood why folks spend the dough for a really nice reel, tool, or fire arm and never used them because they're afraid they might get dinged. Life is too short and if you've work for it and you bought it; enjoy it: 'cause you can't take 'em with you. my 2 cents.
Careful, you may have to give your reel away because of a scratch and/or ding....can't sell it for top dollar on here....

Better that you don't use it...they look pretty sitting on a shelf. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:12 am

Rock on brother...rock on.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:37 am

I like the Pflueger Patriarch and the Revo series. The made in China reels are getting better and they are lighter on the wallet.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Snyder Rods wrote:I like the Pflueger Patriarch and the Revo series. The made in China reels are getting better and they are lighter on the wallet.
Dafuq?? What on earth does this have to do with the original posters request?

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:52 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Snyder Rods wrote:I like the Pflueger Patriarch and the Revo series. The made in China reels are getting better and they are lighter on the wallet.
Dafuq?? What on earth does this have to do with the original posters request?
I was wondering the same thing. And also just as an fyi both companies are manufactured by doyo in korea. The Pflugers do have lots of features for the money compared with other brands, especially affordable magnesium based reels instead of using composite plastics like many brands. I've heard of lots of problems with retrieve feel after a year or 2 of use and that has made me stick with my daily procyons and classic SS tournament spinners. Higher end spinners to me would definitely come down to daiwa or shimano though. Although I am a huge daiwa fan, I'd much rather have a vanquish or Stella over the steez or exist, with the main reason being that their frames are made of metal while the exist and steez are now zaion. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on what is essentially a plastic framed reel, no matter how advanced it is and how light it is