Better start with 2016 Shimano Ci4+ Stradic

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Better start with 2016 Shimano Ci4+ Stradic

Post by Kurt L » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:33 am

Update on the poor start I had with this reel, I tried to send it back to the seller in Malaysia but FedEx quoted me $118.00!!! so I thought what the heck I will call Shimano USA and they were great as always. they said to send it in it should be covered! =D>

I was just about to open it up to see what's going on! In retrospect I think it is just dry, it is smooth as glass until any load is on it then it gets gritty and tight, to me that's a sign the grease did not go were it should have...?

So hopefully the service department will save the day again! I will miss Silver season (the reason I bought it) with it but as long as it's sorted out :D

Kurt

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Better start with 2016 Shimano Ci4+ Stradic

Post by Bassmar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:47 pm

Any feedback? Lack of grease or a faulty reel? Thinking of getting one myself.

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:29 am

I have added 4 to my collection and all them fish jam up. I love the reels. Hope yours are working out. G

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 pm

Nothing from Shimano yet, the Salmon runs are over now in my area so I'm on to Duck hunting but I would sure like to give it a try before we freeze up! I bet they don't have the parts for them yet, Oddly it was silky smooth until the slightest load was applied, I could feel it knocking and ticking while spooling it up but I assumed it to be coming from the spool of line (you know that low spot on the Sunline spools), first cast I knew the reel was toasted. it felt like it was running bone dry and the gear surfaces were galled.

Kurt

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:39 pm

Lucky1 wrote:I have added 4 to my collection and all them fish jam up. I love the reels. Hope yours are working out. G
They jam up. But you love them? :shock: :doh: Or do the fish jam up? :lol:

DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DammitKhoa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:10 am

Bassmar wrote:
Lucky1 wrote:I have added 4 to my collection and all them fish jam up. I love the reels. Hope yours are working out. G

I was wondering the same thing lol
Kurt L wrote:So hopefully the service department will save the day again! I will miss Silver season (the reason I bought it) with it but as long as it's sorted out :D
I saw on another thread that Shimano had fixed the issue and the reel's back in your hands. From what it sounds like so far, it's a definite step above the FK and a definite improvement over the previous generation of CI4+. I think the "CI4+" is just a name for the carbon material and Shimano should be able to improve the material as they find necessary? It'll be interesting to see how Shimano continues to develop this technology and what other aspects of the reel they can apply it to.. They've come a long way; I keenly remember how wobbly the original "CI4" Stradic was lol
Last edited by DammitKhoa on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Sorry, that's a billiard term used in my area. It means, the balls, bitchen, or the bees knees, depending on where your from.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:50 am

DammitKhoa wrote:
Bassmar wrote:

I was wondering the same thing lol
Kurt L wrote:So hopefully the service department will save the day again! I will miss Silver season (the reason I bought it) with it but as long as it's sorted out :D
I saw on another thread that Shimano had fixed the issue and the reel's back in your hands. From what it sounds like so far, it's a definite step above the FK and a definite improvement over the previous generation of CI4+. I think the "CI4+" is just a name for the carbon material and Shimano should be able to improve the material as they find necessary? It'll be interesting to see how Shimano continues to develop this technology and what other aspects of the reel they can apply it to.. They've come a long way; I keenly remember how wobbly the original "CI4" Stradic was lol
Not in my hands yet... I have not received any word on the 2016 Ci4 yet, the reel from the previous thread was a Stradic 4000FK that had several issues. I have had bad luck with anything that say's "Hagane" on it! I have since picked up a few extra Ci4+FA's and Sustain FG's to get me through and no problems from any of them.

Kurt

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 am

Well I received the 2016 Ci4+ back from Shimano service on Friday and it is not much better than when I sent it in, you can tell it has been greased it is stiff cranking now but... it still has the knocking and that odd tightening up while reeling, I spooled it up and was planning to hit the water today but just a few cranks after spooling it I could tell all was still not well inside. So I will take the hit and put it up for sale as a used/damaged reel and move on. :evil:

Kurt

Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dark3 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:31 am

Kurt L wrote:Well I received the 2016 Ci4+ back from Shimano service on Friday and it is not much better than when I sent it in, you can tell it has been greased it is stiff cranking now but... it still has the knocking and that odd tightening up while reeling, I spooled it up and was planning to hit the water today but just a few cranks after spooling it I could tell all was still not well inside. So I will take the hit and put it up for sale as a used/damaged reel and move on. :evil:

Kurt
So basicly who ever worked on it gave zero shitz and sent it back. Good thing JP products are know for QC, apperently not this time.