Curado 200i maintenance Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curado 200i maintenance Question

Post by Hulkster » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:06 am

Hello all, just curious how often those of you who have the curado 200i have had to do the oil brake drum and bearing thing?

I have had mine for a while and didn't have to do anything for a while (but I did lube it before I first took it out on the water)

but now I have had to oil the brake drum twice in a short period of time. when it needs it, the noise is high pitched and distinct.

after I lube it with a Q tip and put a drop of oil on that spool bearing, within a few casts it sounds normal again.

have people had similar experiences?

I'm kind of bummed that shimano has upgraded the SVS system on the new reels to have less noise and require less maintenance (ie oil) without being able to upgrade the older versions of SVS, but that's life. I still really like the curado 200i.

I keep a bottle of oil and Q tips in my tackle bag and do it out on the water, because it seems to happen quick. one cast its fine the next its buzzing lol.

thanks for all imput.

-Hulk

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Curado 200i maintenance Question

Post by trevorvandam » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:22 am

I got my curado I for xmas 2 years ago, but I didn't start using it until that February. On my 2-4th trip out with it, it started to make that squeel/buzzing noise. I tried lubing the brass ring or whatever (I think I did it twice). But it kept on making noise. I ended up getting a new one, and haven't had a problem since. On a few of the newest shimano reels that have came out this year I believe they changed the brake pads in the svs system. It's a different material.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:12 am

I have two 200I reels and have not had the problem, but I do wipe the brake rings with an oiled Q tip after each outing, during which they get a work out. Picked up mine when they were released for sale.

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trevorvandam » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 am

trevorvandam wrote:I got my curado I for xmas 2 years ago, but I didn't start using it until that February. On my 2-4th trip out with it, it started to make that squeel/buzzing noise. I tried lubing the brass ring or whatever (I think I did it twice). But it kept on making noise. I ended up getting a new one, and haven't had a problem since. On a few of the newest shimano reels that have came out this year I believe they changed the brake pads in the svs system. It's a different material.
I forget to mention that I oil mine once a year

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:24 am

Is this noise on the cast or retrieve? Mine also started making noise but only on the retrieve. Almost like a dry friction sound. After I cleaned the pinion, greased the wormgear, oiled the spool bearings and brake drum, it stopped. Hasn't done it again after two outings. I've never experienced this since Iv'e only ever owned Daiwa. The reel is sweet though for the money.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:28 am

thanks for all the responses. the noise, when it occurs, is on the cast pretty much throughout.

it seems to stop after the oiling, I was just surprised by how quickly I had to oil it again.

if it was a bad bearing, it should do it all the time right? oiled or not?

the retrieve is smooth and quiet.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 am

I oil mine every trip. Not due to noise though, it helps casting distance. There are three spots that need oiled. A tiny drop on each end of the spool shaft and one drop one a brake that is out(where it contacts the brass drum. I always wipe off the spool tips before I oil. One thing that can make them scream is if you have side to side play in the spool because the spool tension is too light. Check that. If you follow these steps and still squeal you may have a bad or dry bearing.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:34 am

ok thanks. so do I have to put any oil on the actual red brakes themselves? or just the brake drum? (the gold part)?

also, if these brakes can 'wear down' isn't this a step backward from the old VBS system? I had my old chronarch for 10 years and never had to do anything other than an occasional lube???

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:36 pm

You can do a drop on the brake or the drum. Putting it on the brake makes sure that it lubes the ring of contact.