Preferred reels for distance

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Preferred reels for distance

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:20 pm

funder1 wrote:Since there is about 10% difference between the distance and line length, around 70 meters would be my estimation for his casting distance.
In case the meaning of that sentence is not evident, I think funder1 is talking about the fact that when the lure hits water on a long cast, there is an arc of line in the air that is longer than the straight-distance path to the lure. In the video he linked, the tester hastily takes that settling arc out of the line before he puts the line in the line counter.

Thanks to funder1 for the effort put in to come up with a calculation!

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:06 am

Jdmbassman

Here is the same thread we discussed about a year ago.
Furthest Casting LP baitcaster?
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... baitcaster

Many agreed Morethan PE SV and T3 platform reels are the best for long casting.

Video Morethan PE SV vs Morethan spinning reel, and 92m cast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUFS4RSnwY

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:13 am

Thanks Cracker

I wondered with the introduction of the T-Wing Daiwas and new Shimanos; Antares DC / Met MGL if things have changed ?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:39 am

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried plugging a 1016 spool into a Zillion SV TW? My furthest casting reel I've owned was a T3 Mx with 1016 spool - Tuned of course, however I didn't like that particular reel for half ounce resistance baits. I bet if the 1016 spool fits the new Zillion it would be pretty awesome.
As Matt stated, the spool in the FX68 is pretty intense for half ounce baits. I put mine in my Tdz 103 for a bit and almost spooled it with a half ounce lipless crank. Line capacity with this spool could be a problem, but with Daiwa, these are the 2 longest casting spools I've encountered with half ounce baits.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:23 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried plugging a 1016 spool into a Zillion SV TW? My furthest casting reel I've owned was a T3 Mx with 1016 spool - Tuned of course, however I didn't like that particular reel for half ounce resistance baits. I bet if the 1016 spool fits the new Zillion it would be pretty awesome.
As Matt stated, the spool in the FX68 is pretty intense for half ounce baits. I put mine in my Tdz 103 for a bit and almost spooled it with a half ounce lipless crank. Line capacity with this spool could be a problem, but with Daiwa, these are the 2 longest casting spools I've encountered with half ounce baits.
The 1016 now lives in my SLP works zillion permanently :-$

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:26 am

I use a Quantum Smoke 100 and 50lb braid, on a Smoke frog rod, and come really close to spooling it with a 1/2 oz frog.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:34 am

Jdmbassman wrote:Thanks Cracker

I wondered with the introduction of the T-Wing Daiwas and new Shimanos; Antares DC / Met MGL if things have changed ?
Good question...
Only real test on the ground can prove it, preferably indoor conditions like any Super Dome :D
I could do the testing if I could find folks with new Shimano reels living in my area.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:36 am

Once you guy put all the technical calculations away and step on a real football field I think some of you will be in for a shock at your best casting distance. 85 or 90 meters, I doubt it.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:38 am

Hogsticker2 wrote: As Matt stated, the spool in the FX68 is pretty intense for half ounce baits..
I had that spool in my FX68 and sold it, when I tested that original spool vs SLP 1012SV I could get slightly better distance with SLP 1012SV.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:36 am

Cracker wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: As Matt stated, the spool in the FX68 is pretty intense for half ounce baits..
I had that spool in my FX68 and sold it, when I tested that original spool vs SLP 1012SV I could get slightly better distance with SLP 1012SV.
I have that spool in my Tdz now rather the FX68 spool. I'd say they're about equal

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:36 am

africanbass wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried plugging a 1016 spool into a Zillion SV TW? My furthest casting reel I've owned was a T3 Mx with 1016 spool - Tuned of course, however I didn't like that particular reel for half ounce resistance baits. I bet if the 1016 spool fits the new Zillion it would be pretty awesome.
The 1016 now lives in my SLP works zillion permanently :-$
That good huh? ;)

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:44 am

For bombing 1/2oz+, The og zillion HLC is beast. And that's in stock form, without any bearing or tuning upgrades. Definently the longest caster I own.
But it's a temperamental sucker and a one trick pony. It wants to do one thing only- bomb heavy baits long distances. No matter how I set the brakes or cc, it refuses to behave for me in any other circumstances.

funder1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by funder1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:18 am

Bass1980 wrote:Once you guy put all the technical calculations away and step on a real football field I think some of you will be in for a shock at your best casting distance. 85 or 90 meters, I doubt it.
Yes I did the cast test in the real football field, which is measured to be 105 meters long,

This is one of the cast test video recorded, I did it yesterday, I am not sure if you can visit it, the distance is measured by tape, which turned out to be 96.7 meters:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/kHvtLqoCHsM/

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Tuned FX68 with the original spool/#10 832 or the 1016 spool with the same line. I imagine a T3 would cast same.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:29 pm

I can only speak on the reels I own. My furthest caster is a tuned red Zillion 50th, with an Ize HLC spool, sucker burns my thumb. It is one wild child, for 1/2 of lures.