Preferred reels for distance

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Preferred reels for distance

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:22 am

Let's say you have a 1/2oz lure attached to your favourite line, what's your preferred reel to cast that lure the farthest.

I appreciate the rod plays a significant role but all things equal, what's the best reel for the job ?

Im using a Jdream 6.3 tuned by Ian Shields and that's getting my Chatterbait and Keitch Swing Impact Fat 3.8" out there but I'm interested to learn what others are using

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Preferred reels for distance

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:01 am

My regular old stock tatula will bomb out a 1/2oz bait further and easier than just about any other reel I've used. It's stupid just how good those reels are.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:17 am

In no particular order the furthest casting reels I have used would be an Excsence DC, a Metanium MGL, and a supertuned T3 1016. These are the furthest casting I have used for 1/2 oz baits.

If I wanted pure distance for 1/2 oz and up and wasn't concerned with price I would look at an Antares DC/Calais DC.

hoskope
Angler
Angler

Post by hoskope » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:49 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:In no particular order the furthest casting reels I have used would be an Excsence DC, a Metanium MGL, and a supertuned T3 1016. These are the furthest casting I have used for 1/2 oz baits.

If I wanted pure distance for 1/2 oz and up and wasn't concerned with price I would look at an Antares DC/Calais DC.
+1 for Antares.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:13 am

Antares definitely seem to be pretty hard to beat for ultimate distance but I have to say I had an fx68 that would absolutely bomb lures out there...

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:18 am

On a recent shimano video the guy can throw a frog for around 90 m on 74MH glorious and 16 Antares DC.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:31 am

hzzhangc wrote:On a recent shimano video the guy can throw a frog for around 90 m on 74MH glorious and 16 Antares DC.
https://youtu.be/F2qD3VNqrg4

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:50 am

It's a long cast in the video, but the distance calculation is too high. Because the circumference of spooled line decreases as line leaves the spool (and I think this demonstration used 14 lb. test, which would show that effect dramatically), one can't accurately figure distance by taking the inches per handle turn at full spool--which Shimano routinely overstates, BTW--times the number of handle turns needed to retrieve the distant lure.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:50 am

Bronzeye wrote:It's a long cast in the video, but the distance calculation is too high. Because the circumference of spooled line decreases as line leaves the spool (and I think this demonstration used 14 lb. test, which would show that effect dramatically), one can't accurately figure distance by taking the inches per handle turn at full spool--which Shimano routinely overstates, BTW--times the number of handle turns needed to retrieve the distant lure.
It wasnt accurate to the inch but he acheived that distance with relative ease in real fishing conditions.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:54 am

Calais DC for me. Haven't tried any of the other DC reels though.

2nd would have to be my Gen2 Premier.

All the others cast the same for me, especially with 1/2oz+.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:17 am

Calais DC for me as well with a DC100 a close second. I have a D.R. tuned CQ100 that can really chunk 1/2 oz out there too.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
hzzhangc wrote:On a recent shimano video the guy can throw a frog for around 90 m on 74MH glorious and 16 Antares DC.
Bro... I been fishing today, got bored because of that summer heat, and decided to check TT forum to see what's new out there, maybe new tackle came out help me catch more fish. :D
I watched that video on a water and it blown my mind with questioning myself about my recent investments in several high-end Daiwa reels...
I doubt he reaches 90m, because the length of football field is 92m(100yards) and I don't see he cast so far. But... able to cast a frog like that... I don't know what to say. I wish that Shimano/Jackall prostaffer would test that combo on a real field , I don't really buy those digits by counting IPT, it is never accurate. Another Shimano guy actually does very accurate indoor casting tests, but he doesn't throw real baits.
Last edited by Cracker on Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funder1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by funder1 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:26 pm

In general, some of Daiwa Baitcasting reels could cast low air resistance lures longer than Shimano's.
Yes, I have an antares DC 2016, although its casting distance is good, it can not beat some of my daiwa reels.
As mentioned by other guys, calculate the casting distance by counting the cranks is inaccurate. For an instance, I've cast a 21 gram IMA style jig by using a tatula and a DTD TA103 spool, gear ratio 6.3, I got 203 cranks. Since I made this cast in a football field (105m total length), I could measure the actual distance by using a tape, it is 99.6 meters.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Cracker wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Bro... I been fishing today, got bored because of that summer heat, and decided to check TT forum to see what's new out there, maybe new tackle came out help me catch more fish. :D
I watched that video on a water and it blown my mind with questioning myself about my recent investments in several high-end Daiwa reels...
I doubt he reaches 90m, because the length of football field is 92m(100yards) and I don't see he cast so far. But... able to cast a frog like that... I don't know what to say. I wish that Shimano/Jackall prostaffer would test that combo on a real field , I don't really buy those digits by counting IPT, it is never accurate. Another Shimano guy actually does very accurate indoor casting tests, but he doesn't throw real baits.
Thats exactly the point, he threw a real bass lure in a real fishing situation. Not throwing a casting plug or a saltwater metal jig. Thats where DC outshines other reels. They can potentially match an Antares DC throwing a metal jig or plug but with real fishing lures the DC brakes give longer casts on a more consistent basis in all conditions. I knew he didnt reach 92 meters but that was at least 85 plus which is ridiculous for a hollow body frog.

funder1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by funder1 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:10 pm

This tests below would be more informative since it is a comparison between several reels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1wswgFCvno

The antares DC 2016 shows no advantages as compared with some other reels.

"as least 85 meters" would be too optimistic. When I did cast test in the football field, 90 and over meters cast would need around 150 cranks (7.4 version), I am not fully spooled the line.

In the Shimano video, we could noticed that the line is nearly cleared when casting finished. The lower diameter of the spool is about 21.5mm, the max diameter of the spool is 37mm. Since 1mm space is recommended by the manual, we use 35mm instead. (37+21.5)/2=28.25mm, since the larger diameter part contains more line, we use 30mm instead. 0.03 x 3.14 x 7.4 = 0.697meters per crank. 108 cranks would got 75meters line. Since there is about 10% difference between the distance and line length, around 70 meters would be my estimation for his casting distance.

Bootytrain wrote:
Cracker wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Thats exactly the point, he threw a real bass lure in a real fishing situation. Not throwing a casting plug or a saltwater metal jig. Thats where DC outshines other reels. They can potentially match an Antares DC throwing a metal jig or plug but with real fishing lures the DC brakes give longer casts on a more consistent basis in all conditions. I knew he didnt reach 92 meters but that was at least 85 plus which is ridiculous for a hollow body frog.