Preferred reels for distance

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Preferred reels for distance

Post by silversix » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:36 am

africanbass wrote:
silversix wrote:Has anyone tried the Ryoga's 1016 spool and compared it to the T3 1016 spool? Is there a difference in casting performance?
Yip,the ryoga spool did the rounds and ended back in the ryoga
Sucked in the Steez :?
The T3 MX spool was the big surprise in the Steez
So the Ryoga's spool this bad or simply wasn't a very good performer inside the Steez? If the T3 1016 is noticeably better than the stock ryoga spool, i gotta get one.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:59 pm

silversix wrote:
africanbass wrote:
silversix wrote:Has anyone tried the Ryoga's 1016 spool and compared it to the T3 1016 spool? Is there a difference in casting performance?
Yip,the ryoga spool did the rounds and ended back in the ryoga
Sucked in the Steez :?
The T3 MX spool was the big surprise in the Steez
So the Ryoga's spool this bad or simply wasn't a very good performer inside the Steez? If the T3 1016 is noticeably better than the stock ryoga spool, i gotta get one.
Nothing wrong with the ryoga spool in the ryoga :lol:
Tried the 1016 t3 spool in the ryoga,no noticeable improvement,go figure :?

funder1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by funder1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:49 pm

I've tried many reels, the overall best so far is the Tatula with dreamfishing TA103 spool. In addition, this combo performs impressively even in casting light lures such as 2.5 gram spoons.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 am

funder1 wrote:I've tried many reels, the overall best so far is the Tatula with dreamfishing TA103 spool. In addition, this combo performs impressively even in casting light lures such as 2.5 gram spoons.
Is the dream fishing spool fixed inductor. air brake or magforce z?

funder1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by funder1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:12 pm

LowRange wrote:
funder1 wrote:I've tried many reels, the overall best so far is the Tatula with dreamfishing TA103 spool. In addition, this combo performs impressively even in casting light lures such as 2.5 gram spoons.
Is the dream fishing spool fixed inductor. air brake or magforce z?

Air brake, I am not sure if there is any IP issue with Daiwa……

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:05 pm

D7 with magnesium yumeya 34mm spool.
You can easily spool it when casting so heavy, and of course upgraded bearings.

IMO, I have always noted that my shimano's and my daiwas have always jockeyed for furthest casting reels. One of my best and easiest casting reels is my conquest 50 and my calcutta TE GT 100 with zpi finesse bearings... effort less casting.

RB 77
Angler
Angler

Post by RB 77 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:48 am

BucketHunter wrote:If anyone has a Citica E, find a Curado E spool and install it. Flush stock bearings with acetone or upgrade. Something about tolerances between the reel and spool combo makes it very wild and free. I have to turn the brakes up more than I would normally for that platform.
The distance I get on bigger spinner baits with a Loomis 864 SB rod are just wild. With good wind conditions, spooling the reel loaded with 15lb mono is a constant concern.
I have repeated this upgrade on two other reels to equally good results. It's a cheap way to get into a real bomber, although likely not a pertinent suggestion on a jdmbassman thread :lol:
You know what, I did exactly this (spool and bearings) with a CI 200E and a CU 200E and I swear I can bomb lures farther with that combo than with any of my other combos (factoring in the same rods). Why on earth, I have no idea. Crazy huh? I just read what you posted and had a similar experience and thought I would chime in.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:42 am

I gotta say my 15 Shimano Calcutta 100HG. I just used it for the first time this past sunday on my MB XX spinnerbait special rod and 15lb Invizx line, 1/2oz WE spinnerbait. I could not believe how far I casted that bait. I have never seen or experienced anything like that reel. Effortless casts and unbelievable smoothness. I was lobbing 30-40 yrds into the wind. I have '13 Metaniums and while those are great reels and cast very well, they do not even begin to compare to my Calcutta. AWESOME reel.

Hunter_Pro48
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hunter_Pro48 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:41 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:OP, you asked "what's your preferred reel to cast that lure the farthest"? And this did not take into consideration the rod. I can't afford many of the reels in this thread. Of my reels the Primmus, Helios Air, Concept A and Curado 201E give some of my best distances. The T3 1016s, tuned Zillion 50th and a couple Lew's aren't too shabby either. I'd have to say none of my reels seem to blow away the others. I have to attribute this to my lack of skill. No way can I spool a reel. 60-70 yards is about it for me. Which puts me low man on the totem pole around here. :crying:

My reel that probably averages the shortest distance is an Alphas SV105....currently out for Ian to do his magic on.
Is the Alphas sv105 not good for long casts or was yours like a fluke? I've been looking to get one because I heard it's a really good caster.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:00 am

Well, Hunter.....how to answer that? Most of what I have read says they aren't reels for long distance casting, yet one poster said it cast as far as his longest casting reel. Personally I would go with the majority. As far as my reel is concerned, I would say I got a fluke. I love Alphas reels and was prepared to be wowed by this reel based on all the threads I had read.

However, it took a trip to Ian before it performed as I had hoped. Cold weather had set in by the time I got it back so it has only been out once or twice. Casting is much better. Not backlashing and distance is average...for me. Ian said it would take a little time for me to get use to it the way he has it tuned now so I am expecting even better out of it this summer. Plan on it being one of the reels I take to Florida with me next month. I will know more when I get back.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:17 am

I put some HH air bearings in my calcutta conguest 101hg and 1/2 ounce is gone, that's on a gloomis NRX 843

Not sure of the distance but damn its crazy.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:33 am

IS 71 Hyper Lariat for me, that spool can be wild, but it really screams. For big baits OG Zillion.

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dug » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Pixy liberto Mica Pixzilla moded and supertuned, 1/4 lure, 20lb braid full original spool and I cast it to the end of the line, right to the knot on the spool. Not sure how far that was, but it was my longest cast by far. I was pretty proud and amazed at the distance. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Dug