MGL jdm vs usdm

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

MGL jdm vs usdm

Post by Dark3 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:02 am

Wonder if there are any differences and if they are distinguisable from one another. I have two jdm MGL still in the box. Think I paid 300 a pop for them shipped. Cant imagine paying 419 for the same reel. I have the same question about the Alde HG. I have one I got from japan. Are there any differences there or how are they told apart from the usdm offering

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MGL jdm vs usdm

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:40 am

USDM MGL has the yumeya deep spool...

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/4369

carries 20yard mroe than jdm met mgl

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:11 am

Ya the USDM Met MGL is now classified as a "150" sized reel with the extra line capacity, where the JDM version is still a "100" series. The USDM and JDM aldebaran (2015) are identical i believe.

The extra cost is obviously to cover a domestic warranty, but you have to ask yourself is the extra $$ worth it for only a 1 year warranty?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:51 am

good info!

The MGL Japan model was a slight turn off to me because of the lower line capacity. I don't use a Met as a finesse reel. US line capacity would be more to my long term liking.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:02 pm

DavidSA wrote:good info!

The MGL Japan model was a slight turn off to me because of the lower line capacity. I don't use a Met as a finesse reel. US line capacity would be more to my long term liking.
Agreed. I'm so glad the US version holds more line as it will make it much more appealing to the vast majority of US anglers. I'm excited to get my 151XG next week and give it some on the water time. The Tackle Trap will have them in stock (both RH and LH in all ratios) on Monday. The TT10 code is active as always too...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... d780fc3895

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:24 pm

bronzefly wrote:

Agreed. I'm so glad the US version holds more line as it will make it much more appealing to the vast majority of US anglers. I'm excited to get my 151XG next week and give it some on the water time. The Tackle Trap will have them in stock (both RH and LH in all ratios) on Monday. The TT10 code is active as always too...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... d780fc3895

oh yea..mine shipped yesterday, can't wait to get mine! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8-) 8-)

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:47 am

can't be that much of a difference ,were fishing for bass not tuna. :lol:

Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dark3 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:14 am

I was kinda thinking the same thing. The price difference of $100 alone for a slightly deeper spool...why?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:54 am

Dark3 wrote:I was kinda thinking the same thing. The price difference of $100 alone for a slightly deeper spool...why?
It's not that alone.

With 10# line, it probably doesn't matter all that much. Where it matters is when you spool up with 15#, 17#, or 20# and start casting any number of presentations, especially with the distances the reel is capable of casting. An additional 20' of line, give or take a few feet depending on the line choice, can make a significant difference when using heaver lines, which US anglers do more often than Japan anglers. In the case of a break off during a day of fishing, that additional line can make a significant difference as well.

Regarding the $100 price differential, that's a comparison between a $310 or more shipped (if no duty) JDM Metanium against a full US MSRP, which we all know, we can get a better deal than that here on the US version. Clearly, for some guys, the shallow spool and cheaper price and lack of warranty service will be fine. For others, they'll prefer to support US tackle shops or maybe even Tackle Tour sponsors, get more line capacity, and have Shimano USA warranty and service behind them, to each their own :D

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:10 am

bronzefly wrote:
Dark3 wrote:I was kinda thinking the same thing. The price difference of $100 alone for a slightly deeper spool...why?
It's not that alone.

With 10# line, it probably doesn't matter all that much. Where it matters is when you spool up with 15#, 17#, or 20# and start casting any number of presentations, especially with the distances the reel is capable of casting. An additional 20' of line, give or take a few feet depending on the line choice, can make a significant difference when using heaver lines, which US anglers do more often than Japan anglers. In the case of a break off during a day of fishing, that additional line can make a significant difference as well.

Regarding the $100 price differential, that's a comparison between a $310 or more shipped (if no duty) JDM Metanium against a full US MSRP, which we all know, we can get a better deal than that here on the US version. Clearly, for some guys, the shallow spool and cheaper price and lack of warranty service will be fine. For others, they'll prefer to support US tackle shops or maybe even Tackle Tour sponsors, get more line capacity, and have Shimano USA warranty and service behind them, to each their own :D
:D
Last edited by phatbass on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:20 am

I have used my JDM Met MGL a few times. It may be one of the best reels I have ever fished. Going to use it again tomorrow morning. This is a reel that Shimano got right and the small differences over the 13 Met seem quite noticeable and appreciated to this guy. :D

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:45 am

The new Metanium is a thing of beauty! Shimano did me a favor and sent me mine. Got to test it on the water today. First of all they got rid of that nasty black top cover color which is the only reason why I never bought the 13 met. Secondly I personally prefer the deeper pool. It casts like a dream. Great weight and the new svs braking system is cool. However it does seem more fragile than the previous one which is a concern for me. Balances right above the locking nut on my adrena and zodias 7'2" heavy rods

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:14 pm

paulito wrote:The new Metanium is a thing of beauty! Shimano did me a favor and sent me mine. Got to test it on the water today. First of all they got rid of that nasty black top cover color which is the only reason why I never bought the 13 met. Secondly I personally prefer the deeper pool. It casts like a dream. Great weight and the new svs braking system is cool. However it does seem more fragile than the previous one which is a concern for me. Balances right above the locking nut on my adrena and zodias 7'2" heavy rods

Explain what you mean by fragile.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:31 pm

stingray23 wrote:
paulito wrote:The new Metanium is a thing of beauty! Shimano did me a favor and sent me mine. Got to test it on the water today. First of all they got rid of that nasty black top cover color which is the only reason why I never bought the 13 met. Secondly I personally prefer the deeper pool. It casts like a dream. Great weight and the new svs braking system is cool. However it does seem more fragile than the previous one which is a concern for me. Balances right above the locking nut on my adrena and zodias 7'2" heavy rods

He probably means the brake block on/off actuation

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
stingray23 wrote:

He probably means the brake block on/off actuation
Yes, the little plastic parts that keep the brake off are tough, but I am uncertain whether they will wear out since they are very thin plastic parts. Would you like a picture?