Quantum Exo Baitcast for Salt Water?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Quantum Exo Baitcast for Salt Water?

Post by ultralight » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Anyone here use Quantum Exo Baitcast for salt water? Does it hold up? And how often do you clean after saltwater use?

Love the Exo for its lightweight - the size 300 is, I believe, the lightest of its capacity among baitcast reels.

Thanks,
UL

BullBass
Angler
Angler

Re: Quantum Exo Baitcast for Salt Water?

Post by BullBass » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:14 am

I wouldn't even use it for light freshwater use. Those reels are garbage IMO. They are lightweight because they use a slew of very cheap plastic parts. Ive had 2 different customers (i clean/service reels) bring me these reels one 100 series size and 1 300. The 100 had a broken spool, the red plastic that holds the brakes together completely shattered. The 300 was a nightmare. Customer complained of drag problems. Spool would just spin even with drag fully locked. Finally figured out spool was broken on this one too. The cheap plastic holding the spool shaft to the spool had broken causing the shaft to just spin inside the spool which is why the drag didnt work. Also upon taking it apart I found a shield from the cast control knob bearing just sitting on the pinion shaft. No clip in sight was just sitting there. Never seen that before. The icing on the cake though was trying to get the 2 piece sideplate to fit back together on the reel. If I tightened all the screws down you could feel resistance when you reeled. Back them off resistance gone. After spending way more time than I needed too I explained my findings to the customer and advised him to send it off to Quantum. He agreed and after they looked at they just gave him a whole new reel. So even they couldn't fix it!

Anyways I said all this to basically say they use a bunch of "cheap" ie low quality components in these reels. Don't think using it in saltwater would be a good idea. But hey go for it if you wanna! After all it is "Made in China" for a reason...

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 am

No, don't use Quantum anything in Saltwater unless its a Boca/Cabo

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:52 am

I suggest you contact Quantum, and ask them.