IP68 to Zillion magnet swap

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IP68 to Zillion magnet swap

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:07 am

I've got Megabass IP68 and part of the Megabassafication of the reel was to fit stronger magnets to it. These stronger than normal magnets gives the reel lots of control but really chokes off the distance. The reel is on an FX711 that I use as general purpose do all including frogging and mag heavy deep cranking as well as close up work as a pitching stick at times. As much as I like the extra control when skipping baits (reel does it SV like) the distance just sucks. HLC spool is not a option. I want to treat the illness directly, plus I payed good money for that 12 gram spool Megabass OG Zillion and am not about to pop the spool out of it.

I guess I need to get another zillion and steal it's magnet out it it and stick it into the IP68. How do I do this?

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: IP68 to Zillion magnet swap

Post by jjbassnforfun » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:12 am

Instead of replacing the magnet(Not familiar with the spool you have, But assume it isn't fixed already.), You could try fixing the rotor or installing a heavier spring to limit how far it extends.

I haven't removed the mag's on my OG's, But assume it requires the big spring clip(magnet holder retainer) be removed. Hopefully one of the guru's will continue the removal process.

I need to learn myself as the SS SV I just bought has a loose mag and I'm gonna need to fiddle with it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:57 am

I really don't want to mess with the spool. The IP/J-Dream have a 12 gram spool that is unique to these reels. The J-Dream has normal zillion magnets and is an excellent caster while the IP has stronger magnets fitted to it to increase control at the cost of distance. I'd like to make my IP cast like the J-Dream is all. I'll probably wait until the off season to mess with the reel and once I figure out how to remove the magnet as an assembly I can purchase a regular Zillion and do the swap. I'll end up with an IP that casts like a J-Dream and some other heavy spool generic Zillion (Cabelas 50th anniversary maybe) with the IP magnets that will cast with lots of control.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:21 pm

Just order the magnet from a J Dream from Plat. http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/part ... 9R-JD.html

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:44 pm

Why won't you be an enabler my FrankenZillion fantasy? Thant's not very TT. Thanks for the link to the part though. I was planing in doing a plat order soon anyway.

Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rarebreed » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:53 am

I don't know if this will help but I have a J-dream spool in my HLC and it launches baits with less over run. I don't know if maybe you could locate HLC magnets.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:59 am

I wonder if shaving or drilling the actual magnets would have a useful effect.

DaveJ

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:49 am

Rarebreed wrote:I don't know if this will help but I have a J-dream spool in my HLC and it launches baits with less over run. I don't know if maybe you could locate HLC magnets.
I have to ask. You managed to acquire the bespoke J-Dream spool without a whole J-Dream bolted to it? If so, where and are there more for sale?

I wasn't aware that HLC magnets differed from the standard Zillion. I always thought the differences were in the spool with a shallower depth inductor and stiffer spring.

Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rarebreed » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:24 am

LowRange wrote:
Rarebreed wrote:I don't know if this will help but I have a J-dream spool in my HLC and it launches baits with less over run. I don't know if maybe you could locate HLC magnets.
I have to ask. You managed to acquire the bespoke J-Dream spool without a whole J-Dream bolted to it? If so, where and are there more for sale?

I wasn't aware that HLC magnets differed from the standard Zillion. I always thought the differences were in the spool with a shallower depth inductor and stiffer spring.
Yea, they pop up from time to time on the Japanese auction site. I didn't realize that the magnets where the same as the standard zillions, just figured they might be different. But I also thought that the ip79 was just a pimped out jDream7.9, didn't realize the mags were different till I read this thread. Someone aught to publish all this knowledge :lol:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 am

Ito must have a thing for control. The Zonda had stronger magnets fitted to than what were found on an Alphas and his honeycomb spools, although I've never fished with one, have awfully deep inductors.

Which Japanese auction site are you referring to?

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:49 pm

Megabass reels in particular are known for outstanding control. The IP, IS, and Zonda reels are all very user friendly for this, although the trade off is distance. As for swapping the magnets, there is nothing that I am aware of to keep a TD Zillion magnet set plate from swapping into the IP reels. You should be able to order the set plate directly from Daiwa. P/N G01-1902 & F71-7702