Daiwa Tatula vs. Zillion 103sv

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
frogman1963
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Tatula vs. Zillion 103sv

Post by frogman1963 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:22 am

Hey Guy's, I'm thinking of trying a new Daiwa Zillion Sv103. The thing is, loved my OG zillions years back, but, they couldn't cast like the newer t-wing daiwas like the tatulas etc. So, I'm wondering if the new SV103 can with the new spool, etc. I will be using 60# fx2 braid and throwing mainly frogs and toads. Thanks

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula vs. Zillion 103sv

Post by Randingo » Mon May 16, 2016 3:54 am

I'm confused about what you're asking... Are you interested in the new Zillion SV (the model numbers are 1016...) or the Daiwa SV103, a completely different reel? I can't really answer your question either way, but I imagine others are uncertain about what you're asking as well.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon May 16, 2016 4:39 am

What randingo said, you're mixing up 2 reels.
The sv103 is basically the traditional zillion body with a steez sized SV spool.
The new zillion 1016SV has T-wing(and features the same size SV spool)and is smaller than the previous zillion tws.
If you like T-wing, it sounds like the new zillion 1016SV would give you the best of both worlds- the compact size of previous zillions but with the T-wing.
Both are new reels this year and not too much feedback yet, but all the initial reports so far seem positive for both models.
Gary at the Tackletrap (bronzefly here on TT) has been testing them both, he can likely give you the best info on how they stack up.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon May 16, 2016 5:40 am

But TS pointed blank - he is interested in Zillion Sv103 reel. And wondering if that reel (Sv103) can cast better vs old OG Zillion, because of the SV spool, at least I understood it like that.
According to Daiwa you don't have to have shallow SV spool for heavy braid or fluorocarbon. Daiwa recommends Tatula, Tatula CT for that.
I don't see any benefits of SV spool for frog fishing. TWS is what you need here.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon May 16, 2016 10:10 am

frogman1963 wrote:Hey Guy's, I'm thinking of trying a new Daiwa Zillion Sv103. The thing is, loved my OG zillions years back, but, they couldn't cast like the newer t-wing daiwas like the tatulas etc. So, I'm wondering if the new SV103 can with the new spool, etc. I will be using 60# fx2 braid and throwing mainly frogs and toads. Thanks
I'm also a bit confused with this statement. I've got a couple older Zillions and had a Tatula and still have a couple Tatula Type Rs. Are you talking about distance or something else? Lure weight? Ease of casting? Pitching? I suppose a Zillion may not cast a light lure or pitch as well, but I use both reels on MH rods and don't try either. I don't see a difference in casting distance or ease of casting with the lures I use on these rod/reel combos. The SHLA is a bit touchier, but the 50th is a set and forget reel. I wouldn't think there would be much noticable difference between the two when casting frogs and toads.

frogman1963
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by frogman1963 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:48 am

Hey Guys, sorry if there is some confusion. I am talking casting distance and I am talking about the newer Zillion reel, sv103xs with the sv spool (With the zillion body like the OG zillion) against a Tatula with the t-wing system. Thanks for the advice guys.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon May 16, 2016 11:46 am

Well, I'm sure they both cast, but the sv103 is going to feel more refined with better gearing and a more versatile spool. I would totally go with the zillion sv tw, though, since you get both a free floating sv spool and the t wing, plus it's an ounce lighter.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon May 16, 2016 7:00 pm

I had a Tatula Type R a while back. While I thought the TWS was a pretty neat design, I didn't feel it was enough of an advantage to go and sell my OG Zillions. In fact, I haven't, they still rule. Lol. Though the design of the new SV103 was to aim towards people that love the OG Zillions, but want to be able to cast light baits. That's where the adding of SV spool came into play. For frogs and heavy braid, just get a set of Hedgehog Studio bearings and an HLC spool and go to town. I can sling a frog 40-50yds depending on wind with my Zillion Coastal. How much further you need to throw?

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 am

I've been mulling between the 2 myself. I'm probably gonna get the Zillion TW SV first. But once I sell off a few of my TD-Z's, I'll add the SV103.

Nice to hear most of the 34mm spools will fit them both. :D

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:45 pm

All I can say is the SV103 is a freaking sweet reel. Casts better than an SS SV. The braking profile on this reel is the best out of all the stock SV reels I've used. This reel can do damn near anything and maintains control with most any type of cast, yet doesn't struggle with distance. Couple that with the sturdy ruggedness the OG Zillion is known for and you have a winner. Best reel Daiwa has brought to the US market in a very long time imo.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu May 26, 2016 6:32 am

Well, I did the reverse of what I initially stated. Chatted with Gary at Tackle Trap and he hooked me up with the SV103XS. I'll get the ZN TW SV a bit later.

Seems everyone I see loves the SV103's and Just had to see for myself... As I do really like the OG zillians.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:34 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:Well, I did the reverse of what I initially stated. Chatted with Gary at Tackle Trap and he hooked me up with the SV103XS. I'll get the ZN TW SV a bit later.

Seems everyone I see loves the SV103's and Just had to see for myself... As I do really like the OG zillians.
Good choice =D>

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu May 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:Well, I did the reverse of what I initially stated. Chatted with Gary at Tackle Trap and he hooked me up with the SV103XS. I'll get the ZN TW SV a bit later.

Good choice =D>
X2....I wonder for how long this reel will be in production, I should add another one to the fleet, just in case 8-[

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 27, 2016 12:45 am

389Maverick wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

Good choice =D>
X2....I wonder for how long this reel will be in production, I should add another one to the fleet, just in case 8-[
Will be a dumb thing to stop this reel. I have to say that I will be adding one to my arsenal, just will be a while. I am very curious as to how much similarity it has with the OG. I love the OG, and I dont care how heavy it may be, I will just get a better bicep workout using it all day if I have to. :lol:

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 27, 2016 12:51 am

Does anybody know if all the HH parts for a TD Zillion fit the SV103? You know like the screws, line guide screw, etc?