Too many choices.... which shimano?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Too many choices.... which shimano?

Post by oops » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Bootytrain wrote:I'll go against the grain and say try out a Lews Team Lite. It can hold its own in casting against any reel. It's also light and very small. I have one and it's every bit the equal of the Chronarch ci4(which I have as well) in casting but it's over half an oz lighter and the frame is aluminum.

I didn't read the responses before I posted and every single designed for freshwater baitcasting reel I own is Shimano, but if I purchased a reel for under $200, it would be this one. Everything about it intrigues me and I've read a lot of good things. I don't know why Shimano can't make a reel in this price range, at this weight, with this line capacity.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:30 pm

oops wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:I'll go against the grain and say try out a Lews Team Lite. It can hold its own in casting against any reel. It's also light and very small. I have one and it's every bit the equal of the Chronarch ci4(which I have as well) in casting but it's over half an oz lighter and the frame is aluminum.

I didn't read the responses before I posted and every single designed for freshwater baitcasting reel I own is Shimano, but if I purchased a reel for under $200, it would be this one. Everything about it intrigues me and I've read a lot of good things. I don't know why Shimano can't make a reel in this price range, at this weight, with this line capacity.
I'm with ya on that. Everything I own is shimano. I looked into the Team Lite and actually picked one up on ebay for 179 shipped. I'm going to test it out and see how I like it. I don't think I'll load up on them, but I think they will be very nice to have on a few setups that I'd love to have dedicated, but don't use often (if that makes sense).

I think I may get some chronarch CI4's in addition.

Unimog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Unimog » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 pm

I have some 13 metaniums and a new Mgl as well as a chronarch CI4 and I think the chronarch is very close in performance. If I was looking to save a little money over the metanium that's the route I'd go.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:21 am

Nothing wrong with getting more Shimanos. Wish I had picked up a couple Mets when they were available. If you are willing to try different brands, Daiwa isn't a bad place to start. :lol: I can also recommend a couple other reels that I am impressed with....the Pinnacle Primmus and Okuma Helios Air. I know they aren't on many "Must have" lists, but I liked them enough to pick up another Helios and two more Primmus. I've got Zillions, Alphas', TD-Zs, Sols, Fuegos (old ones), Chronarchs, Curados and a few other brands to compare them against.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:09 am

One thing I can't get out of my head is the possibility of the Chronarch CI4 getting a facelift or new model. It's been out since 2013 and can't help but thing they may refresh it soon.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:39 pm

I have to chime in on the Lew's as well, I only have one but I have caught a ton of fish on it an it has held up perfectly and is so close to my Shimano's costing much much more sometimes I wonder :-k maybe I should not have so much money wrapped up in the big two....

Kurt

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Kurt L wrote:I have to chime in on the Lew's as well, I only have one but I have caught a ton of fish on it an it has held up perfectly and is so close to my Shimano's costing much much more sometimes I wonder :-k maybe I should not have so much money wrapped up in the big two....

Kurt
I'm really getting excited to test out the team lite. It's loaded up with all the right features at half the price of the big two... Been wanting to pull the trigger on some Chronarch's, but not till I get these reels in and test them.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 am

jbabin193 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:I have to chime in on the Lew's as well, I only have one but I have caught a ton of fish on it an it has held up perfectly and is so close to my Shimano's costing much much more sometimes I wonder :-k maybe I should not have so much money wrapped up in the big two....

Kurt
I'm really getting excited to test out the team lite. It's loaded up with all the right features at half the price of the big two... Been wanting to pull the trigger on some Chronarch's, but not till I get these reels in and test them.

Funny how things work... Went to Fishing Tackle Unlimited (FTU) here in Houston at lunch time for their annual Salesman Sample Sale... The shimano guys showed up with some outstanding deals on all Shimano reels. Picked up some Chronarch's for $195, Stradic FK 3000 for $149, and some Casitas $89 for my son. Very good haul. That's almost 30% off retail. \:D/ \:D/

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:25 am

jbabin193 wrote:
jbabin193 wrote:

Kurt

Funny how things work... Went to Fishing Tackle Unlimited (FTU) here in Houston at lunch time for their annual Salesman Sample Sale... The shimano guys showed up with some outstanding deals on all Shimano reels. Picked up some Chronarch's for $195, Stradic FK 3000 for $149, and some Casitas $89 for my son. Very good haul. That's almost 30% off retail. \:D/ \:D/
Dang... you should have shook him down for some metaniums!

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:20 am

They had met's and aldebaran's for 325. I almost picked up some met's but really needed more reels to fill some voids. But if I wake up tomorrow with any regrets.... I'll be back tomorrow! :lol:

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:46 am

he stradic fk 3000HG

the new chronarch paired up with my kistler zbone xh f 7'-6".... A++ on style points!

steakified
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by steakified » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:18 am

Big fan of my Chronarch ci4+. I've been kind of dabbling between Shimano and Daiwa and trying different reels. My latest kick has been the OG zillions and TDZ's. This day and age, I don't really see you going wrong with any of the new Shimano and Daiwa offerings at the 200$ price point. I like some of the older reels because then I won't feel so bad marking them up after using them.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:56 am

I own only the Met and Ci4 so will leave others to comment on other brands.

My CI4 is on my punching rod. The reel has a very different feel then my Mets. The reel does not flex in my opinion but feels different and many are turned off by this. I don't have any issue with it. Thursday I was tossing a 3/4oz total rig weight and my casting distance was insane.

My CI4 has had the handle lengthened by adding the met XG handle shank. While I feel the Met a better reel if money is a factor I pick the CI4 for punching and moving baits. For bottom bouncing on an NRX rod, I will pay for the 13Met. In a thread I posted several weeks ago about the Met vs CI4 it was all about feel which is subjective.

On the matter of the new Curado, I have no experience. What I can say is that I have no reel where I only pitch. The distance I was casting the CI4 would have left the curado 70 with like 30 yards of line if that.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:59 am

Having used my new Ci4's for a while now, I can honestly say I am very pleased with them. They perform very well. I've upgraded the handle on a few to the XG handle.

To me they are a very good all around reel covering most bass fishing applications. Like many, I have my Met's reserved for my pitch/worm rods, senko rod, and a few left over for general use.

Unless the Met13 pricing in the US comes way down, I don't see getting any more.

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mickeyfin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:11 am

fyi-
If interested?
I found a few Met HG 2013'S on ebay for $280 3 weeks ago. That's only $20 more than the blow out prices of a couple months ago
Got mine delivered last week.
here's one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Shimano-MET ... Sw-RRXChTw

Go gettum'

Mick