Best Shimano for Big Crankbaits?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Shimano for Big Crankbaits?

Post by Okiekev » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Hey guys, I am building a rod for a buddy of mine as a wedding gift and I want a reel to compliment it. It will be a Rod built around deep diving crankbaits like the 6xd. He likes Shimano reels, what reel is the best for handling those big, hard pulling baits?

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best Shimano for Big Crankbaits?

Post by slime king » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:21 pm

I like the Chronarch d5 or Chronarch bpv reel for pulling deep cranks like you described.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best Shimano for Big Crankbaits?

Post by MTBF » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:42 pm

A Curado 200I PG would be a nice fit or the recently discontinued Chronarch 200E5 would make a nice reel for cranking also. If you want to spoil him in terms of the reel you could explore a Calcutta Conquest 100/200 they are superior crank bait reels. Last option would be a Calcutta TEDC 100 or 200 size. Regret selling these reels very nice and might be a good alternative.

MTBF