What's a good price for an older style Metanium?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What's a good price for an older style Metanium?

Post by chreim20 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:46 am

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what a good price is for an older style metanium, the same frame as the chronarch D or core 100? I have a friend of a friend that is selling one in mint condtion in box and wanted to know some members take on it. Thanks!

Christian

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What's a good price for an older style Metanium?

Post by karirick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 am

chreim20 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm wondering what a good price is for an older style metanium, the same frame as the chronarch D or core 100? I have a friend of a friend that is selling one in mint condtion in box and wanted to know some members take on it. Thanks!

Christian
Probably depends on how bad he needs to sell and how bad you want it:)
I love that frame/series of reels and would pay $200 for mint if it was me?

Good luck and hope you get it for a good price.

Rick

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:07 am

karirick wrote:

Christian

Rick
Thanks for the reply Rick! I love that frame style as well. I have the core and chronarch as well and love it. I was looking for another chronarch and core, but they are around 300 dollars, sometimes more. This guy wants 240 but it's mint condition and probably is smoother than the core, more bearings. I'm still going to try to get it for 200 like you said. Thanks for your input!

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:35 am

chreim20 wrote:
karirick wrote:

Christian

Rick
Thanks for the reply Rick! I love that frame style as well. I have the core and chronarch as well and love it. I was looking for another chronarch and core, but they are around 300 dollars, sometimes more. This guy wants 240 but it's mint condition and probably is smoother than the core, more bearings. I'm still going to try to get it for 200 like you said. Thanks for your input!
I had a Core 101 and a Met MG7 101. That met was one of the nicest reels I ever owned! Never should have sold it. If that reel is truly mint...I wouldn't be scared to spend $240 on it...just sayin'

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:27 am

Look for the DC version of that reel. It casts like a dream.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:21 am

trent_s wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
karirick wrote:

Christian

Rick
I had a Core 101 and a Met MG7 101. That met was one of the nicest reels I ever owned! Never should have sold it. If that reel is truly mint...I wouldn't be scared to spend $240 on it...just sayin'
ReallY? Maybe he's spot on with his asking price then.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:22 am

chrisjr1981 wrote:Look for the DC version of that reel. It casts like a dream.

Really? Does the DC version cast just as good as the non DC version? I should ask, is it $100 better? lol

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:26 am

chreim20 wrote:
karirick wrote:

Christian

Rick
Yeah go for it, these are harder to come by as time goes on. I only have a BNIB Chronarch 101D7 in that series, and it is staying in the box for now. I think it reminds of the original the most, so I want to keep it forever....:)

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:18 pm

karirick wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
karirick wrote:

Christian

Rick
Yeah go for it, these are harder to come by as time goes on. I only have a BNIB Chronarch 101D7 in that series, and it is staying in the box for now. I think it reminds of the original the most, so I want to keep it forever....:)
Went ahead and bought it for $230. Have no regrets! Thanks for the responses, sometimes you just need to be nudged a bit, lol

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:16 am

Great reel- reliable, refined, versatile with some of the best ergonomics ever. You won't regret it.
There's also a TON of aftermarket parts & upgrades available for it.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:14 am

chreim20 wrote:
karirick wrote:

Christian

Rick
Thanks for the reply Rick! I love that frame style as well. I have the core and chronarch as well and love it. I was looking for

Then put another chronarch and core, but they are around 300 dollars, sometimes more. This guy wants 240 but it's mint

condition and probably is smoother than the core, more bearings. I'm still going to try to get it for 200 like you said. Thanks for
your input!

Then dump some 100mg7 brass gears in it

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:59 am

Does the met mg7 have aluminum gears?

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:40 pm

chreim20 wrote:
chrisjr1981 wrote:Look for the DC version of that reel. It casts like a dream.

Really? Does the DC version cast just as good as the non DC version? I should ask, is it $100 better? lol
It's amazing

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:31 am

chreim20 wrote:Does the met mg7 have aluminum gears?
Yeah they both have duraluminum gearing. The only model that had the brass gears was the 100 MG7, which was a USDM flipping/pitching version of the reel. I put the brass in b/c I prefer brass on my Core 101, but just fished my Met as is, and I never noticed any difference to speak of. Can aluminum gearing strip out, yes, but it takes years of abuse. This board tinkers with everything :lol: . Just fish the dang thing!

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:43 am

Core 100mg7 non flip version is brass as well.

I'm running aluminum in a few of my reels. I think some get a little carried away with their concerns of brass vs alum. I have had several Met. mg7's with aluminum and had zero problems with them.

Enjoy your reel ! It's a nice one for sure ! 8-)