Which reels to keep?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Which reels to keep?

Post by Cyacnba » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I currently have the following reels: Shimano Aldebaran 51HG, Lew's Pro Tournament G left handed 6.8:1 gear ratio, Daiwa Tatula Type R 8.1:1 gear ratio, and 13 Fishing Concept C 6.6:1 gear ratio. They are all left handed besides the Concept C.
I'm definitely keeping the Aldebaran for lighter jigs, but I'm not sure about the others. The Lew's is my all-round reel, the Tatula Type R is for flipping&pitching, and the Concept C is for when I need to slow down and when my right arm gets tired of holding the rod for too long.
So, my question is, out of the Pro G, Tatula, and Concept C, which one do you think I could get rid of? or which ones should I keep based on quality, specs, etc? If you were me, which one would you remove? I'm just trying to sell one because of the NRX rod I purchased last week.

Thank you!

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which reels to keep?

Post by bigturtle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Between the Tat, 13, and the Lews, I would not throw the Tat, mainly because of the gear ratio. If you want to throw one out, throw one of the 6:1. A 6.6:1 and a 6.8:1 is way too similar for me to want 2 of.

Between the 13 and Lews, I havnt fished either to say which is better, but if I were going to blindly pick, I would keep the 13 C, purely due to the drag.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:21 pm

bigturtle wrote:Between the Tat, 13, and the Lews, I would not throw the Tat, mainly because of the gear ratio. If you want to throw one out, throw one of the 6:1. A 6.6:1 and a 6.8:1 is way too similar for me to want 2 of.

Between the 13 and Lews, I havnt fished either to say which is better, but if I were going to blindly pick, I would keep the 13 C, purely due to the drag.
Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. The Lew's and 13 Concept C are both very smooth and similar weight-wise. Like you mentioned, the drag is awesome with the Concept C, but the only issue is line capacity.
If I were to replace the Concept C 6.6:1 with an 8.1:1 gear ratio, do you think I should get rid of the Tatula Type R?

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Cyacnba wrote: Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. The Lew's and 13 Concept C are both very smooth and similar weight-wise. Like you mentioned, the drag is awesome with the Concept C, but the only issue is line capacity.
If I were to replace the Concept C 6.6:1 with an 8.1:1 gear ratio, do you think I should get rid of the Tatula Type R?
Ya, it seems like 13 C has the least line capacity, with Tat having extra 40 or so yards. If line capacity is an issue, just keep the tatula. Lets be real here, when are you actually going to use a 22lb drag in bass fishing? It sounds really cool, but its impractical. When you lock down the drag on either of these reels, its more than enough to get a bass through pretty much any cover you can encounter.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:29 am

If you decide to go with an 8.1:1, definitely consider the Metanium XG

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:44 am

Okiekev wrote:If you decide to go with an 8.1:1, definitely consider the Metanium XG
I'm really considering selling all 3 to buy a Metanium now. I fished with the Aldebaran today, and it made the Lew's Pro G feel pretty uncomfortable...
Would you recommend the Metanium 13 or 15?

mdrap76
Angler
Angler

Post by mdrap76 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Cyacnba wrote:
Okiekev wrote:If you decide to go with an 8.1:1, definitely consider the Metanium XG
I'm really considering selling all 3 to buy a Metanium now. I fished with the Aldebaran today, and it made the Lew's Pro G feel pretty uncomfortable...
Would you recommend the Metanium 13 or 15?
Of course metanium 71 xg mgl if you can wait until may
Plus minus
1.Silent tuned 1.less line capacity
2.mgl spool
3.more compact 70 size
4.latest svs infinity systems

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:30 am

Sell all but the Aldebaran. When you moved to the NRX you would disgrace the rod with anything other than a worthy reel!

Get 2 13 Metaniums, or a 16 Scorpion 70 at least, or a Steez or Megabass.

Welcome to the "Upper Tier!"

Or the Conquest 100HG.