Great reels no one talks about?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Great reels no one talks about?

Post by DavidSA » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:30 am

Do you guys have a great reel that has stood the test of time that no body talks about now or then????

The original Revo Premier falls into this category for me. When the reel came out at 6.35oz with a full size spool it was breakthrough but soon died out because of low drag strength and a few negative posts. Guys were trying to punch with the reel, pitch and so forth. What was missed is that with a crankbait or spinnerbait you can cast this reel a country mile and it is light and has full line capacity. Ian upgraded my drags last year and now even the drag is quite acceptable for most applications. I was getting mine ready for season today and was testing on a 6'3 rod with a Sammy 100. I threw all my 40# line off down to my backing. Casts further then any baitcaster I've ever used with dense baits. Still does not like wind or high wind catching baits. It is so important to put the reel in the right application. Go with strength vs. talking about what something does not do well.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Great reels no one talks about?

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:13 am

The old Chronarch 100SF reels were great performers. Very good casters for distance and retrieve was quite smooth. Once you got past the weight and bigger profile it was a high performing workhouse reel. With reels lighter, more feature packed, and smaller frames this reel seems to get lost in the shuffle in todays conversations. I sold mine about 4 years ago but still miss the reel.

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:25 am

Yep, Lew's Team Lite and Team Pro Z. Right out of the box, with no mods, they cast so well and palm perfectly for me. I can cast really light lures down to 1/8 oz to swimbaits weighing 2.5 oz with ease. Going 3 seasons and still works like the first day I bought it. Team Pro Z is now discontinued which makes me sad because I wanted to pick up another. There's also the Team Gold, and other variants that I missed out on because I wasn't into baitcasting yet.They match the Megabass rods perfectly too. Same color scheme and perfect weight to balance it out.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:31 am

The good ole' greenies are darn near bullet proof!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:34 am

I've not even held a Lews so unfortunately have no knowledge. I do recall that 100SF chronarch and in fact I had the curado SF which would cast a mile. I think I lost interest because reels were coming out that were so much lower on the rod and with less weight. Wow would one of those not make a great swimbait reel!

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:44 am

The Calcutta a and b series is one of those for me. They were/are great reels and built like tanks but we're always overshadowed by the te/conquest series reels. I had the 50 on up to the 400 and love the simplicity and class they bring.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:09 am

The original BB1N and any of the Shimano B series. These are classics yet still perform at an amazing level...if you have any. There are still loyalists that covet these reels and for good reason.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:58 am

Abu Morrums...

oe

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:38 am

Team Daiwa Advantage 153HSTA Supertuned.

Beast of a reel. A tad on the big side, you need some mitts to palm it, but very smooth and well made. I still use mine to launch my larger lipless cranks, but it will do a decent job on smaller baits as well. In it's day it was legendary.

My second reel of note is the first gen Revo STX. That was my first "high end" reel and I had a blast with it. Many people prefer the first gen over the subsequent versions. She's back in her box now living the retirement dream. She earned it.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:01 pm

uljersey wrote:Team Daiwa Advantage 153HSTA Supertuned.

Beast of a reel. A tad on the big side, you need some mitts to palm it, but very smooth and well made. I still use mine to launch my larger lipless cranks, but it will do a decent job on smaller baits as well. In it's day it was legendary.

My second reel of note is the first gen Revo STX. That was my first "high end" reel and I had a blast with it. Many people prefer the first gen over the subsequent versions. She's back in her box now living the retirement dream. She earned it.
I actually prefer this reel to the og zillions, i believe they are a better casting reel , went very well with a set of upgraded bearings and Carbontex drag washers. And built well . Looked classy, and the finish held up well, better than the saltist HRF which is basically the same reel supposedly treated for saltwater work. And to add all my reels are used in salt/brackish waters unless they are mg construction

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:09 pm

uljersey wrote:Team Daiwa Advantage 153HSTA Supertuned.

Very underestimated reel!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:15 pm

This casts like a Metanium and palms like a Core 50.. and much cheaper than either

jmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by jmyers » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:39 pm

How about the old Shimano Curado DHSV.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:57 am

My old Pflueger Patriarch XT baitcast reel. It was essentially Pfluegers version of the Premier. Great reel but no one ever talks about Pflueger. LOL.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:09 am

lape0019 wrote:My old Pflueger Patriarch XT baitcast reel. It was essentially Pfluegers version of the Premier. Great reel but no one ever talks about Pflueger. LOL.
That sure was one of the best looking reels that came out of that factory. I used to dream of owning one, but for some reason never bought one.