2016 Zillion SV TWS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: 2016 Zillion SV TWS

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:39 am

Bronzeye wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote: I put two bearings on the worm shaft, but I wouldn't recommend it. Very difficult and fair risk of damaging one of the plastic gears. I couldn't tell any difference after the change either.
I just add oil to the worm shaft every time I lube. It doesn't move on the cast, and I think the oil cuts down on friction enough to limit the strain on the ends of the shaft. Plus I put a drop at each end, hoping it will migrate to the bearing points.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:22 am

TommyG wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote: I put two bearings on the worm shaft, but I wouldn't recommend it. Very difficult and fair risk of damaging one of the plastic gears. I couldn't tell any difference after the change either.
I'm confused by this, could you explain why the bearings on the worm shaft would potentially harm the plastic gears? I don't have one of these reels so I don't know how they go together. Thanks!
I think he is referring to the difficulty of the task. The worm shaft on that reel is very hard to remove,hence the possibility of damaging the gear. The bearings themselves won't do any damage.
This ^.

The bearing doesn't hurt anything, but getting the worm gear out was very difficult. I don't recall exactly what was difficult about it exactly, but I think you have to grab on to or pry on the plastic gear in order to force the worm shaft out and I was nervous I was going to damage the gear.

Compared to an OG Zillion or TDZ, it was very sketchy. Those are "safe" to remove so long as you take your time with the clips.

DaveJ

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:27 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
TommyG wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
I'm confused by this, could you explain why the bearings on the worm shaft would potentially harm the plastic gears? I don't have one of these reels so I don't know how they go together. Thanks!
I think he is referring to the difficulty of the task. The worm shaft on that reel is very hard to remove,hence the possibility of damaging the gear. The bearings themselves won't do any damage.
This ^.

The bearing doesn't hurt anything, but getting the worm gear out was very difficult. I don't recall exactly what was difficult about it exactly, but I think you have to grab on to or pry on the plastic gear in order to force the worm shaft out and I was nervous I was going to damage the gear.

Compared to an OG Zillion or TDZ, it was very sketchy. Those are "safe" to remove so long as you take your time with the clips.

DaveJ
Ah, understood! Thanks for clearing that up.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:59 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
TommyG wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
This ^.

DaveJ
Are you sure the washer that is under the e clip wasn't holding the shaft? It's a common error. If it's not removed first it can catch in the groove the e clip sits in.
<")))><{

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 am

My XXH arrived today and I think I am in love. I have an SV105 so I sort of knew what to expect from the spool, but the TWS is really impressing me. I have been working crazy hours for the last few weeks and to stay sane I have been practicing pitching down a hallway in my house. I am still not great at it but have been improving a lot. But until this evening, I have never been able to achieve the "bait gliding perfectly parallel to the water/floor" effect with any consistency. But with this reel I can do it like clockwork, at least at short hallway distances. So excited to get this thing on the water.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Question, is it ok to turn the handle deliberately with no spool on it? I know its not recommended on Tatula CT as that action could damage pinion and main gear teeths (I spell it as design flaw)

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 am

wandyhee wrote:Question, is it ok to turn the handle deliberately with no spool on it? I know its not recommended on Tatula CT as that action could damage pinion and main gear teeths (I spell it as design flaw)

Not an issue with the zillion as the pinion gear is supported both ends by a bearing.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

Received my ZILLION SV TW 9.1 yesterday, I would like to share few picture here with some comments:

All in Japanese, can't understand single words but picture do tells thousand words :)

weight before disassemble

spool weight

crank handle weight

drag star weight

tension cap weight

If you look closely, there are only 1 bearing on each of handle knob (left), black stuff between knob & screw is plastic, i'm going to get another bearing to replace those, size 4x7x2.5

disassemble, grease & lube each parts inside. side note, I have trouble to remove key Washer #88 as it stuck on the end of Drive Shaft #83, end up sanding the end of Drive Shaft #83 to allow Key Washer slip out freely.

weight after service
Last edited by wandyhee on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:31 am

Did you get the reel cover with your reel? I bought 2 from Japan and neither one had a reel cover.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 am

ccass wrote:Did you get the reel cover with your reel? I bought 2 from Japan and neither one had a reel cover.
yep, free reel cover from this seller https://www.facebook.com/OCEAN-STAR-Fis ... 207554046/
Their shop are located in West Malaysia border with Thailand. Price I get is MYR1090/USD246.38 (google conversion) include shipping.

They don't have official webpage, I guess they start as traditional style fishing tackle shop/store and now they widen their marketing via facebook and others online social media

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm

wandyhee wrote:
ccass wrote:Did you get the reel cover with your reel? I bought 2 from Japan and neither one had a reel cover.
yep, free reel cover from this seller https://www.facebook.com/OCEAN-STAR-Fis ... 207554046/
Their shop are located in West Malaysia border with Thailand. Price I get is MYR1090/USD246.38 (google conversion) include shipping.

They don't have official webpage, I guess they start as traditional style fishing tackle shop/store and now they widen their marketing via facebook and others online social media
is that reel made in Thailand ?

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm

yep, MADE IN THAILAND as written at the back of reel seat

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 pm

wandyhee wrote:yep, MADE IN THAILAND as written at the back of reel seat
I wasn't sure , thanks. I like my CT's from Thailand.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Will reconfirm again once I get back home. As to me, it won't make much different as I'm sure their head of QAQC dept are authorised by their HQ branch in Japan. Most of factories nowaday move to Thailand or others SE Asia countries including automobile and so on