new Tatula CT

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: new Tatula CT

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed May 11, 2016 8:55 am

Just finished rowing through all 18 pages. Nap time. :lol:

I have the older Tat and Tat Type R. Type R has a lighter spool, but if you recall TT said they didn't notice a difference in casting. 1/8 oz. was the low limit for both reels. The Type R was margininally easier to cast that weight. I'm not good enough to notice any casting differences, but don't try weights that low. I'd be surprised if the new CT reels weren't basically the same as the older models when it comes to handling light lures.

I've got a few aftermarket spools, but I'm not going to try and turn something like a Tatula or Zillion into a finesse reel. Better to just buy a finesse reel. :big grin: Changing spools to increase casting distance or improve braking stability is something I could still go for. The SV spool in an older Zillion sounds worth trying. My 50th is a set and forget, but my SHLA is a bit touchier. A spool that made it almost backlash proof would be nice even though it gained no improvement anywhere else.

I've got MH and H rods Zillions and Tatulas work great on. I've got Alphas', Sols, PXL Type R, Carbonlites, TD-Z 105Hs, Black Max 1600C reels for the lighter stuff. Nothing wrong with having reels that perform best from 5/16 oz. up. I seldom change reels around. Spool on 12#, mount on a MH rod and leave it there. Spool on 8#, mount on a Medium and leave it. Spool on 6#, mount on ML or Light and leave it alone. As much as I love my 50th I am not going to fish it on a MH today, and switch it to a ML tomorrow. Nor would I with the new Tatula CT.

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:50 am

Thinking about the new type-R for jig/pitching/flipping duties. Anyone have any first hand experience with these techniques on the new reel?

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:13 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:I will try get more pics up later but my initial gut feeling was spot on ... The gear side cover is composite. I'm sure it's to save weight and cost. It's not a deal breaker though for me as it still feels pretty solid. Rotation and clutch engagement feels pretty solid. A lil different sound than OG Tat but I'm sure it's due to composite.

Will try post a lil more info later tonight ... Excuse pics and typing. All done from my phone.

Aaahhhh , that bearing retainer in the cast control bearing is a pita.
some question here from newbie, can someone explain how to remove those retainer and what tool to be use? Thanks in advance

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:16 am

I have not tried popping that out yet on my reels , but I was told a small flathead screwdriver would do the trick ? :?

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 pm

johnD wrote:I have not tried popping that out yet on my reels , but I was told a small flathead screwdriver would do the trick ? :?
thanks for input, i'll try your method the next time I disassemble my CT. here picture of yesterday evening

2 screws #74 which located under driveshaft gear #75 seem hard to remove. I can't open those screw and did not manage to lube bearing #72 located un the end of Drive Shaft #76

here's my Tatula CT

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:42 pm

yeah those two screws are super tight..you need to have a screwdriver that fits perfect.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:27 pm

ok, found the way to remove those retainer in this youtube link, seem so easy though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1gSy9ATvc

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 pm

wandyhee wrote:ok, found the way to remove those retainer in this youtube link, seem so easy though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1gSy9ATvc
Thanks.
(from 11:52)

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 pm

When i pulled a CT and a regular 100 Tatula Type R some of the weights between say a normal CT drag star and Zaion was 1 gram, between the spools 2 gr.

Oy when it came to the frame and gearbox side plates thts where most of the weight differences show up.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:08 pm

this is what I get from my cheap digital scale (not sure how accurate it is)

out of the box and straight away disassemble it for lubing and greasing, still waiting for my RAY'S STUDIO custom micro spool which is still on the way (order from Aliexpress) before it do field test

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:15 pm

here's my Tatula CT with Ray's Studio microspool

https://youtu.be/H77xQ6QGRRA

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

wandyhee wrote:here's my Tatula CT with Ray's Studio microspool

https://youtu.be/H77xQ6QGRRA
what line are you gonna put on that thing ?

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:06 pm

5lbs fluorocarbon and 562UL 1-6LB rod. it's going to be my ultralight BFS setup

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm

wandyhee wrote:5lbs fluorocarbon and 562UL 1-6LB rod. it's going to be my ultralight BFS setup
hedgehog air bfs bearings ?

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:20 pm

nope, I'm stick with OEM bearing as for now, until they wear out maybe, or until I've got extra cash to spend :)