Daiwa SV103

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa SV103

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Anyone had the chance to put this old dog new tricks reel through the paces yet? Do tell -

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa SV103

Post by Dink Dawg » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:44 am

I did order one and it should be here any day. The dealer I use placed a direct order and had to meet the minimums so it was slow coming. I'm excited to get this model. I'll be happy to share my thoughts going forward.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:33 am

Dink Dawg wrote:I did order one and it should be here any day. The dealer I use placed a direct order and had to meet the minimums so it was slow coming. I'm excited to get this model. I'll be happy to share my thoughts going forward.
Right on

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:36 am

I want the spool :D

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:11 am

njbasscat wrote:I want the spool :D
Same spool as the Steez SV and SS SV. It should be available from Daiwa USA in a few months.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:13 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Same spool as the Steez SV and SS SV. It should be available from Daiwa USA in a few months.
So it will not fit the OG Zillion. I was under the impression that the SV 103 had the body of the OG Zillion with a 103 SV spool.

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:07 am

I got the sv 103 and have had a few chances to fish with it. Paired up with a 2015 diablo fast move and 14lbs fluoro it was launching a 1/2 oz chatterbait and a pointer 128. Very solid feel to the reel and very smooth.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:20 am

Does anybody know if the magnets on the SV103 are the same as the original Zillion? If so, somebody needs to make side plate shims that will allow us to use the 34mm SV spools in the original Zillion. I'm in for a few sets. It would also be nice if Daiwa would start making a light 36mm spool again. It doesn't look like Daiwa is going to make more PE longcast spools.
Maybe a cheap and light 36mm Chinese aftermarket DIY spool that has a much easier start-up than the original Zillion spool will become available. Anybody else want one?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:42 pm

capesmallie wrote:I got the sv 103 and have had a few chances to fish with it. Paired up with a 2015 diablo fast move and 14lbs fluoro it was launching a 1/2 oz chatterbait and a pointer 128. Very solid feel to the reel and very smooth.
Nice. Have you thrown anything on the lighter side with it? Can you gauge how strong the magnets are? I'm still looking for a reel to throw small swimbaits. I've been using my SS SV to toss 1/8 Oz heads and 4 inch Keitechs. The reel handles them fine, but I feel the magnets/braking are a little stronger than I'd like.

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
capesmallie wrote:I got the sv 103 and have had a few chances to fish with it. Paired up with a 2015 diablo fast move and 14lbs fluoro it was launching a 1/2 oz chatterbait and a pointer 128. Very solid feel to the reel and very smooth.
Nice. Have you thrown anything on the lighter side with it? Can you gauge how strong the magnets are? I'm still looking for a reel to throw small swimbaits. I've been using my SS SV to toss 1/8 Oz heads and 4 inch Keitechs. The reel handles them fine, but I feel the magnets/braking are a little stronger than I'd like.
I have not tried to toss anything light yet and have not had much on the water time with the reel. My initial impression of the reel is that it is a solid workhorse, feels so much different than the magnesium reels.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:22 am

njbasscat wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
So it will not fit the OG Zillion. I was under the impression that the SV 103 had the body of the OG Zillion with a 103 SV spool.
That's correct. There's a spacer at the edge of the spool on the gear side and the palm side has the magnet cage from a TD-Z 103, which has a ridge that fills in and matches the 103-size spool without leaving a gap. I am wondering if the spacer is removable. If so, then you could get the magnet cage from a standard Zillion and put a 100M spool or PE Special spool in this reel. Just a thought......

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:24 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
njbasscat wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
That's correct. There's a spacer at the edge of the spool on the gear side and the palm side has the magnet cage from a TD-Z 103, which has a ridge that fills in and matches the 103-size spool without leaving a gap. I am wondering if the spacer is removable. If so, then you could get the magnet cage from a standard Zillion and put a 100M spool or PE Special spool in this reel. Just a thought......
Great intel... so by deduction, if the gear side spacer from the SV103 is in fact removable, and it is somehow attachable to the fuego/100M us trail/zillion frames, these SV spools could fit?

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:33 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
njbasscat wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I don't think there is a spacer on the edge of the spool. I think the hole on the gear side of the SV103 is smaller then the og Zillion. Just like the smaller hole on the TD-Z 103.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:26 am

Should have mine this upcoming weekend, pretty stoked about this one! \:D/

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:42 am

@ goblue-if there IS a spacer, then yes, that would be true. We need some close, clear pics of the spool recess on the gear side to confirm or deny the spacer's existence. Count me out if there's no spacer. But I highly doubt Daiwa would re-tool a proven, existing frame (such as this OG Zillion frame) just to cut a frame opening to a different specification to fit a smaller spool diameter. It wouldn't make financial sense, especially given that they are trying to wring out every last bit of profit out of this aging frame design.