What inshore reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
skno
Angler
Angler

What inshore reel?

Post by skno » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:53 am

I need a couple suggestions for and inshore reel. I go to FL every year and fish the inner coastal and the big pond. I like baitcasters and have a ruined a couple over the years that weren't meant for saltwater.

Any suggestions? Your experience?

It seems they all make one, just want to weed out the bad ones if I could.

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What inshore reel?

Post by dinosorcerer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:37 am

How about the Abu Garcia Orra Inshore? Or REVO Inshore Generation? No real experience with either reel but I have REVO NaCL 51 and it's pretty good. I'm sure revo inshore one will perform practically the same.

If reels are too heavy, you can go with 13 fishing reels; most of them are safe for saltwater.

I personally stopped using my Revo NaCL as I use Tatula Type R but I'm in west coast as the inshore fish are smaller than your inshore fishes.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 am

If you are ok with the T-Wing then there is the Coastal and Zillion HD ( both USDM reels) or the Morethan and HRF (both JDM reels). If you are wanting a larger LP reel then there are the Lexa HD series (300 and 400).

skno
Angler
Angler

Post by skno » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:36 am

dinosorcerer wrote:How about the Abu Garcia Orra Inshore? Or REVO Inshore Generation? No real experience with either reel but I have REVO NaCL 51 and it's pretty good. I'm sure revo inshore one will perform practically the same.

If reels are too heavy, you can go with 13 fishing reels; most of them are safe for saltwater.

I personally stopped using my Revo NaCL as I use Tatula Type R but I'm in west coast as the inshore fish are smaller than your inshore fishes.
I looked at the 13 today, looked like an OK reel.

skno
Angler
Angler

Post by skno » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:38 am

JWR075 wrote:If you are ok with the T-Wing then there is the Coastal and Zillion HD ( both USDM reels) or the Morethan and HRF (both JDM reels). If you are wanting a larger LP reel then there are the Lexa HD series (300 and 400).
The zillion HD is calling me,,, and I noticed it was a go for saltwater

goosed
Angler
Angler

Post by goosed » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:44 am

If your looking for longevity, look for reels with stainless gear sets.. Okuma Komodo 364, Revo beast, Lexa HD...

skno
Angler
Angler

Post by skno » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:24 am

goosed wrote:If your looking for longevity, look for reels with stainless gear sets.. Okuma Komodo 364, Revo beast, Lexa HD...
Thanks
I wondered about that

So the zillion won't cut it.?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:08 am

Daiwa 103L SW is a 100 sized saltwater round reel that’s perfect or find a Blue Bay Casting Special, either will work. I have e_bassfisher (Ian) supertune them especially for saltwater. These reels are amazing out of the box but after Ian is done with them they are worldly beyond anything you could of imagined.
SW103L_IIIJPG copy.JPG
SW103L_IIIJPG copy.JPG (98.07 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
IMG_Bay_SpecialJPG copy.JPG
IMG_Bay_SpecialJPG copy.JPG (93.27 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
Last edited by lpquick on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

goosed
Angler
Angler

Post by goosed » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:11 am

skno wrote:
goosed wrote:If your looking for longevity, look for reels with stainless gear sets.. Okuma Komodo 364, Revo beast, Lexa HD...
Thanks
I wondered about that

So the zillion won't cut it.?
Sure it will cut it. My Curado e7 and 300e have cut it for inshore bass fishing. If i'm targeting bigger fish, i'll reach for my Komodo or a small conventional with stainless gears. I tear down my Shimano's atleast twice a year after saltwater use.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 am

Just about any 50 size Shimano.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:47 am

although I have never used one, since all my bait casters have been low profile, I know a lot of inshore salt guys love the shimano calcuttas for saltwater, they are apparently super durable and last forever making them great for saltwater use. built to last with almost no plastic parts. i think the gold ones are the ones meant for the salt,

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:19 pm

I feel like any low pro baitcaster over 150 bucks will do the job if you understand that you need to rinse the reel off after use, you don't plan on storing it in a dock house or on a boat, you don't submerge the reel while fishing or while cleaning, and you do a full tear down ONCE a year.

If a reel gets submerged or if it gets sand in it then you MUST do a teardown or its gameover.

I have a gen 1 Revo STX, a curado 200e7 and a gen 1 FW Smoke that I have yet to have issues with. What kills reels is not rinsing them. Seriously, It takes all of 30 seconds with a low pressure hose. Duralumin or brass gears will do just as good as stainless steel for inshore if you care for your equipment. I haven't had issues with corrosion on any reels since I learned what it takes to keep a Zebco 733 fishing in saltwater when I was 13 :lol: .

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm

Ryoga.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Alphas Air is SW safe and according to Daiwa Japan's website so is the new Steez TW SV and Zillion TW SV.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Hulkster wrote:although I have never used one, since all my bait casters have been low profile, I know a lot of inshore salt guys love the shimano calcuttas for saltwater, they are apparently super durable and last forever making them great for saltwater use. built to last with almost no plastic parts. i think the gold ones are the ones meant for the salt,

X 2000 !!