shimano reels more powerful than daiwa?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

shimano reels more powerful than daiwa?

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:15 am

i want to start off by saying i currently own nothing daiwa and abu reels.

but i seem to notice that shimano reels in comparable sizes seem to be so much more powerful and easier on the retrieve.

example. 2oz wake baits on a curado 300 is so much easier to retrieve than a luna 253. i will say on the daiwa you feel the bait working more on the handle of the reel, i guess this is what they mean by "connected".

i love my daiwa reels but having such a easy retrieve helps out with these big baits. does anyone else feel the same as me?

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: shimano reels more powerful than daiwa?

Post by silversix » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:27 am

I don't know about that, my Ryoga1016 feels like an atomic engine in my hands. Power is certainly not something that's missing and its a damn small reel.

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:52 am

Bring it.
Bow down Shimano 300s.
http://imgur.com/a/e0oyS

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:14 am

Power is tied to gear ratio with handle length and has nothing to do with brand.

brighamvang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brighamvang » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 am

For my standard bass technique i perfer my Daiwa, but for big baits hands down Shimano. Power/plamability between my Pluton & luna 253 is nothing compare to the 2015 Conquest 301.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:29 am

i prefer daiwas overall also. i just never really noticed the difference in power (atleast for me) until i started throwing big wake baits.

from what i know the curado 300 is a 6:3 ratio and the luna 253 is 5 something. the difference in retrieve is night and day. the shimano being way easier to turn but the daiwa having more of a "connected" feel.

thanks for the input. i might need to try more of each reel before i come down to a conclusion.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:30 am

both reels stock btw. no change in handle.

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:45 am

bemo wrote:Power is tied to gear ratio with handle length and has nothing to do with brand.
And gear size.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Rich Frye wrote:
bemo wrote:Power is tied to gear ratio with handle length and has nothing to do with brand.
And gear size.
x2 on the gear size... Most bc reels have evolved the dropped gear box to increase or maintain larger overall gear sizes. Shimano of course has an acronym for this.. HEG (high efficiency gearing) and they do have Xship that helps reduce lateral gear travel due to helical gears... I think Daiwa has some similar features but I don't know what they call them.

Increase torque (cranking power) by:
Increasing fulcrum length ---> larger handle
Increase the gear size while maintaining the same gear ratio
Decrease the gear ratio ---> just like riding a bicycle up a hill your low gear wins every time

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:07 am

They call it digigear. They're all helical cut, too. I've never seen dog tooth gears on any reel, even those that are over 100 yrs old, on anything except level wind drive gears. Actually, the spirals are even tighter on those antique reels.

My luna 103 is 5.8:1 for 24"/turn and feels like a rock on a composite rod throwing dd22's, 8xd's, duo g87's, and big Colorado spinnerbaits. I installed a swept 85mm aluminum handle and there is plenty of leverage. If I were to throw a 100mm handle on there it would be a total stump puller.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:54 am

It's because daiwa is garbage

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:59 am

fishingandfords wrote:It's because daiwa is garbage
Now , that's =)))) !!!

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:38 pm

poisonokie wrote:They call it digigear. They're all helical cut, too. I've never seen dog tooth gears on any reel, even those that are over 100 yrs old, on anything except level wind drive gears. Actually, the spirals are even tighter on those antique reels.

My luna 103 is 5.8:1 for 24"/turn and feels like a rock on a composite rod throwing dd22's, 8xd's, duo g87's, and big Colorado spinnerbaits. I installed a swept 85mm aluminum handle and there is plenty of leverage. If I were to throw a 100mm handle on there it would be a total stump puller.
Straight cut gears are common in lever drag overheads

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:01 am

Gear ratio,handle length and bearings on pinion are factors but my t3 with 8.1 has n't the power than met xg with 3mm more handle.I guess shimano is a step ahead in gearing technology and I love my t3...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:02 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote: Straight cut gears are common in lever drag overheads
Cool, that's one type of reel I've never torn apart. I could see the need for the mechanical advantage in that kind of reel.