Shimano Aldebaran 51 Rod decision?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Aldebaran 51 Rod decision?

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Hey guys i just recently ordered a Shimano Aldebaran 51 from Japan Tackle, I'm stuck between a light weigh pitching setup of a lighter line rod for smaller jigs and stuff. I'm thinking rods from the zodias line or crucial line(temporary rod) Let me know ur opinions I'm truly stumped :-k :?: open to all

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Aldebaran 51 Rod decision?

Post by John G » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Well, I've been down this road before and if I would have known then what I know now, I would have gone broke a lot sooner. LOL
You got yourself a really nice JDM Shimano reel so why not put it on a really nice JDM Shimano rod. There is a new line up of Poison Glorious's coming so save your money and splurge or look at the Expride or the Adrena. I don't have an Adrena but I did just get 2 Exprides and they are nice rods and they can be had cheaper overseas than in the U.S.

I'll add that I keeping getting hit with customs fees on some of my JDM rods so that is taking some of the fun out of it.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:26 pm

NRX 852

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:36 pm

If you are looking for something a little different you might explore the Major Craft MS-X 70MH. It's very very light and compares well against rods twice the cost. It's a very light medium heavy in my opinion with a nice soft tip that's perfect for light Texas rigs. It also feels amazing paired up with the new Aldeberan.

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:08 am

what are customs fees and do u know when the glorious's are coming out and how much will they be?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:48 am

fishingcreekoutdoors wrote:what are customs fees and do u know when the glorious's are coming out and how much will they be?
Customs fees are fees (penalties) that you sometimes pay when you buy something from overseas. The last one that I paid was this week when I took delivery of a rod from UPS from Japan. I had to pay UPS $32.08 for a UPS Brokerage Fee. You can google that and learn about it. I have also had to pay FedEx customs fees on rods. As I am typing this, my wife handed me another bill from FedEx for $28.48. So far, I have never paid any fees on reels. In fact, I have never paid any customs fees on anything that was shipped Japan Post EMS. I do not know exactly when the new rods are coming out. It will be after the fishing show in Osaka and I believe that is in early February. If they are priced like the last Glorious's, they will be pricey but worth it.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:51 am

My aldebaran currently resides on a NRX802C and it likes it.

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:04 am

John G wrote:
fishingcreekoutdoors wrote:what are customs fees and do u know when the glorious's are coming out and how much will they be?
Customs fees are fees (penalties) that you sometimes pay when you buy something from overseas. The last one that I paid was this week when I took delivery of a rod from UPS from Japan. I had to pay UPS $32.08 for a UPS Brokerage Fee. You can google that and learn about it. I have also had to pay FedEx customs fees on rods. As I am typing this, my wife handed me another bill from FedEx for $28.48. So far, I have never paid any fees on reels. In fact, I have never paid any customs fees on anything that was shipped Japan Post EMS. I do not know exactly when the new rods are coming out. It will be after the fishing show in Osaka and I believe that is in early February. If they are priced like the last Glorious's, they will be pricey but worth it.

Hm thats interesting, have u ever had any rods that haven't got penalized? and ya my aldebaran is being shipped post ems.... more than the adrenas or less?

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:05 am

romans wrote:My aldebaran currently resides on a NRX802C and it likes it.
nice! what do u use that rod for mostly?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 am

fishingcreekoutdoors wrote:
John G wrote:

Hm thats interesting, have u ever had any rods that haven't got penalized? and ya my aldebaran is being shipped post ems.... more than the adrenas or less?
I think that I have had two rods that didn't get hit with fees. One went FedEx from Vietnam and the other was a 2 piece from Japan that was short enough to go EMS. The Glorious's will more than likely cost more than the Adrena. The NRX802C that romans posted about is a very nice rod.

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:07 am

John G wrote:
fishingcreekoutdoors wrote:
John G wrote:

I think that I have had two rods that didn't get hit with fees. One went FedEx from Vietnam and the other was a 2 piece from Japan that was short enough to go EMS. The Glorious's will more than likely cost more than the Adrena. The NRX802C that romans posted about is a very nice rod.
hmmm ok, and yeah that looks like a great rod, I've fished with nrxs before they are nice but that rod i havent tried i think that rod in particular would be great. what would b best t fish on it

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:52 am

When I had the NRX802C's, I fished 3/16oz Finnese jigs with Rage Baby Craw trailers and t-rigs with a 1/4oz tungsten bullet weight. I didn't use any plastics really any heavier than a trick worm. Anything heavier and I went to the NRX803C that I had. I believe that guys are using both the 802 and 803 for top water and there are other uses as well.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:09 am

John G wrote:When I had the NRX802C's, I fished 3/16oz Finnese jigs with Rage Baby Craw trailers and t-rigs with a 1/4oz tungsten bullet weight. I didn't use any plastics really any heavier than a trick worm. Anything heavier and I went to the NRX803C that I had. I believe that guys are using both the 802 and 803 for top water and there are other uses as well.
I throw the same rigs as John plus a shaky head on the NRX 803c. The tip on the NRX line is soft enough that I can throw light lures with a good reel such as the Aldebaran and I have the muscle when I need. The only reason I'd go with an 802 is if I was fishing line less then 10# and wanted to protect the line better.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 pm

arrowslinger1 wrote:NRX 852
This with 8lb floro, jus doesn't get much better!

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:51 am

DavidSA wrote:
John G wrote:When I had the NRX802C's, I fished 3/16oz Finnese jigs with Rage Baby Craw trailers and t-rigs with a 1/4oz tungsten bullet weight. I didn't use any plastics really any heavier than a trick worm. Anything heavier and I went to the NRX803C that I had. I believe that guys are using both the 802 and 803 for top water and there are other uses as well.
I throw the same rigs as John plus a shaky head on the NRX 803c. The tip on the NRX line is soft enough that I can throw light lures with a good reel such as the Aldebaran and I have the muscle when I need. The only reason I'd go with an 802 is if I was fishing line less then 10# and wanted to protect the line better.
ok.... i don't want to spend the money on a nrx so i think I'm going to go down the zodias line...... 6'10" medium hvy or 6'10" medium?