Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Bootytrain » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Errrm wrote:Hi,

I have one of these DIY spools for my PX68 and I was hoping I would be able to get one for a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG? It is not the latest one but the 2012-2014 version I believe.

Thanks

Neil

They don't make one for the Aldebaran BFS XG unfortunately

Errrm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby Errrm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Bootytrain wrote:

I have one of these DIY spools for my PX68 and I was hoping I would be able to get one for a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG? It is not the latest one but the 2012-2014 version I believe.

Thanks

Neil

Thanks :-(..... I couldn't find one and I was hoping i was just being stupid :-)

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Bootytrain » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Errrm wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

Thanks

Neil

Thanks :-(..... I couldn't find one and I was hoping i was just being stupid :-)

Well the good news is there are quite a few after market spools out there for the Alde, but the bad news is they are significantly more than $50 :lol:

Errrm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby Errrm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Errrm wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

Thanks

Neil

Well the good news is there are quite a few after market spools out there for the Alde, but the bad news is they are significantly more than $50 :lol:

Lol yes I've seen :-). They are even more expensive because I live in the UK and will have to pay import taxes and expensive shipping :-(

Doge
Angler
Angler

Postby Doge » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Isaiah20 wrote:Is anyone using a DIY BFS spool to cast down to a 1/16 for trout? Or am I better off going Scorpion BFS?

Mepps Aglia Spinner 00 has 1,5g and is castable. Lightest for me is the europe cream jig but that is really the limit for me.

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Isaiah20 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:29 am

Doge wrote:
Isaiah20 wrote:Is anyone using a DIY BFS spool to cast down to a 1/16 for trout? Or am I better off going Scorpion BFS?

Mepps Aglia Spinner 00 has 1,5g and is castable. Lightest for me is the europe cream jig but that is really the limit for me.

The reason I ask is I am putting together a Trout casting rod. I have a SS Air but don't like the line capacity on the streams I am fishing. And not that I am even going down to a 1/16 but would like to know the capability is there in case the need arises.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Postby mark poulson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 am

Errrm wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Errrm wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

Thanks

Neil

Lol yes I've seen :-). They are even more expensive because I live in the UK and will have to pay import taxes and expensive shipping :-(

I have a friend who lives in Germany, and he didn't pay any taxes when I sent him a lure I made. Can a friend just send you a spool?

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 am

Bamp. Anyone have any feedback on these Abu spools? I have the Black Max 3 10 gram spool for the lulz and it is an awesome budget UL performer, admittedly I had to change out the stock bearings on the spool and palming plate of the BM3 UL BFS. There was too much resistance in the bearings and once opened up I was able to increase mag braking. Linear mag braking really works for UL baits. I'm curious as to how a 6 gram mesh spools performs in a STX or something.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby alafly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Has anyone tried the deep version DIY spool? Is it also good for light bait(under 1/8oz) as original DIY spool?

Thanks in advance!
"North" of America...

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Dalleinf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:16 am

alafly wrote:Has anyone tried the deep version DIY spool? Is it also good for light bait(under 1/8oz) as original DIY spool?

Thanks in advance!

I have the spool but so far I have only used it with 1/8-1/4 oz lures for which it works great. Below 1/8 oz I do not know...will try next week or so...

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby adam lancia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:08 am

Dalleinf wrote:
alafly wrote:Has anyone tried the deep version DIY spool? Is it also good for light bait(under 1/8oz) as original DIY spool?

Thanks in advance!

I have the spool but so far I have only used it with 1/8-1/4 oz lures for which it works great. Below 1/8 oz I do not know...will try next week or so...

Do there make a deep zillion-size spool? I'd appreciate a link if so, thanks!

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby alafly » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you!

Dalleinf wrote:

Thanks in advance!

"North" of America...

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby alafly » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:09 pm

I only see they have Steez 34mm version deep spool.

I assume deep spool is not that popular as BFS one in market.

adam lancia wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:

Thanks in advance!

"North" of America...

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby adam lancia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:01 am

alafly wrote:I only see they have Steez 34mm version deep spool.

I assume deep spool is not that popular as BFS one in market.

adam lancia wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Ah, I see. Thanks.

swoffer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby swoffer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 pm

Just want to pass on thanks to those who replied and influenced my decision to purchase the spool. Finally got the colour I wanted which according to seller, was limited in stock. I also purchased a new rod to for it.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Can I directly spool 6lb braid on it without mono backing?

Return to “Reels”