Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:17 pm

wandyhee wrote:
LowRange wrote:Image
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-DAI ... 7c2d5ea0d7

There is a new spool out for Tatula CT/Fuego CT. 8.5 grams. The porting pattern on the spool and air brake look different than the Ray's studio DIY spools. I think this is a Studio of Momo brand spool. This is the 1st Daiwa type spool I've seen them release.
wondering why are these new 8.5g spool come with lure weight spec 2.5-18g? while older spool without holes (perforated) weighted 11.2g come with lure weight spec 1.5-15g? doesn't seem worth for BFS upgrading (I could be wrong)

I don't believe the two spools are produced by the same company hence the differences in appearance and ratings.

Haibo spools for Luna, Apollo and Ghini. Stock Smart 50 shallow spool is for sale too. A Smart 50 spool is a nice upgrade to the Steed reels. I imagine not too many people are using Haibos but here is the link anyways.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spare-s ... 7bb0&tpp=1
Ghini
Apollo

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 pm

I got the Kawa handle in today. Fantastic buy for $18 and to my surprise both eva urban camo knobs matched in that they had the same ratios of black, grey and white colors. All the play has been shimmed out of the knobs and the knobs still spin freely. I'm impressed. Build quality looks to be every bit as good as the Ray's DIY handles but you are not able to pick colors to the extent the Ray's handles allow. Speaking of the DIY handles, they seem to be out of stock everywhere and aren't even listed on some sellers stores.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-Ne ... 35765.html

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 am

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 26d5xAzMcu

New cast control knob colors. The big stupid Ray's logo is gone. No idea if they are knurled inside to make use of a clicker. I doubt it.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:40 am

They do in fact click!

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 am

Thanks for recommendation! Will remember to get one next time when I order another spool from them. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
LowRange wrote:Image
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 26d5xAzMcu

New cast control knob colors. The big stupid Ray's logo is gone. No idea if they are knurled inside to make use of a clicker. I doubt it.
"North" of America...

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:19 am

I tested my new diy long cast in my og steez and I'm really happy with it. I wanted to use my steez for some power finesse techniques. The stock spool was too wild and the sv1000 seemed too choked off. For $50 the diy spools really impress me. I was throwing Ned rigs about 30 yards with amazing control. The long cast version is a little deeper so I can put plenty of 6lb copoly on it.

I have a diy in my px type r as well. I've never been overly impressed with the stock spool. A 51e with an avail shallow spool blew it away with 1/8 oz. The diy spool transformed it into the perfect BFS reel. So far the spools have held up so the jury is still out on long term durability, but so far I'm very impressed.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 am

masterbass wrote:I tested my new diy long cast in my og steez and I'm really happy with it. I wanted to use my steez for some power finesse techniques. The stock spool was too wild and the sv1000 seemed too choked off. For $50 the diy spools really impress me. I was throwing Ned rigs about 30 yards with amazing control. The long cast version is a little deeper so I can put plenty of 6lb copoly on it.
How much line do you figure that long cast spool holds...?

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 am

adam lancia wrote:
masterbass wrote:I tested my new diy long cast in my og steez and I'm really happy with it. I wanted to use my steez for some power finesse techniques. The stock spool was too wild and the sv1000 seemed too choked off. For $50 the diy spools really impress me. I was throwing Ned rigs about 30 yards with amazing control. The long cast version is a little deeper so I can put plenty of 6lb copoly on it.
How much line do you figure that long cast spool holds...?
I think I put about 90-100 yards of 6lb copoly. It was more than enough for my needs.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 am

masterbass wrote:I think I put about 90-100 yards of 6lb copoly. It was more than enough for my needs.
Oh, nice! That's a good amount of line. I primarily use braid so that'll hold plenty for my needs too. Thanks!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 am

Here's my el cheapo bfs set-up.... Fuego CT with Zaion star, 80mm handle (suits me for light work), silver handle nut and pawl cover. Using parts I had on hand from other reel builds, I don't even have the full retail cost of the reel in it lol! Can't wait to see if it performs as well as looks.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:02 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Here's my el cheapo bfs set-up.... Fuego CT with Zaion star, 80mm handle (suits me for light work), silver handle nut and pawl cover. Using parts I had on hand from other reel builds, I don't even have the full retail cost of the reel in it lol! Can't wait to see if it performs as well as looks.

That does look sharp.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 am

I put one in my PX68 Type R last week, I just ordered some ceramic ABEC 7's for it. Wasn't overly impressed with the bearings it came with.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Has anyone compared the pixy Ray's studio spool to the zpi cp-301 or the i'ze factory finesse special spool? I'm interested in which of those spools can cast the smallest weights. The i'ze factory spool is 10g. I own it and like it quite a bit, but i'm wondering if the other two may be better?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm

SSS wrote:Has anyone compared the pixy Ray's studio spool to the zpi cp-301 or the i'ze factory finesse special spool? I'm interested in which of those spools can cast the smallest weights. The i'ze factory spool is 10g. I own it and like it quite a bit, but i'm wondering if the other two may be better?
I can go lower / or low more easily with the DIY vs the IZe.
Have not used the zpi.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
SSS wrote:Has anyone compared the pixy Ray's studio spool to the zpi cp-301 or the i'ze factory finesse special spool? I'm interested in which of those spools can cast the smallest weights. The i'ze factory spool is 10g. I own it and like it quite a bit, but i'm wondering if the other two may be better?
I can go lower / or low more easily with the DIY vs the IZe.
Have not used the zpi.
Are you using stock diy bearings?