Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 am

Fish your's yet booty?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:35 pm

LowRange wrote:Fish your's yet booty?
no, i still need to find a tool to remove the brake blocks to install on the DIY spool

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:22 pm

Yeah, let us know what tool is needed to remove and install the taper pins. Looks like a beefy pair of tweezers. Small neeedle nose may work?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:21 pm

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 01, 2017 5:14 am

Nice. Deep ported DIY for 1016 and 103 reels. That's the Ned rig spool I was after. Should have been paitent.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri May 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Ok removing and re installing the brake shoes was alot easier than I thought, only needed some needle tweezers. Just push the metal pin to loosen it, then pull it out from the other side. Looks great in the Engetsu but Im going to use the Scorpion for the speed. So now I have a Scorpion BFS before the official Scoprion BFS gets released lol. Its a little heavier than the Yumeya Spool(because the Yumeya has a bearing) but with the new brakes i think it will cast really good. Going to try it out today.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Looks sharp in the Engetsu. Keep us posted on the performance. I went Pixy with Airy Red spool instead of Casitas with DIY. I'm still curious as to how SVS and BFS performs. Do you mean that it is a bit lighter than the other spool because it doesn't have a spool bearing? What spool is the DIY being compared to, a KTF for Alde 16?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat May 06, 2017 1:39 am

LowRange wrote:Looks sharp in the Engetsu. Keep us posted on the performance. I went Pixy with Airy Red spool instead of Casitas with DIY. I'm still curious as to how SVS and BFS performs. Do you mean that it is a bit lighter than the other spool because it doesn't have a spool bearing? What spool is the DIY being compared to, a KTF for Alde 16?
I'm saying the rotating weight of the Yumeya spool is lighter because it has a bearing on the shaft. Shimani lists it at 9.8 grams I think. Honestly the only thing that outcasts the Yumeya spool for 2 grams and up is the Avail 0918. I feels it's because of the SVS allowing me to cast harder.

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Sun May 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi,

I've received the 2 Spools for the Casitas a few weeks ago and tested them.
The first one is a blue Ray's Studio and the other one is a purple Studio of Momo.
Before that I used the Casitas with the stock spool and was able to cast small lures down to 3 gram, hard to believe but yes it's possible.
The biggest difference I noticed is that the accuracy increased and that casting is much more comfortable and pleasent. Makes sense tho because you need much less energy to get a bfs spool rotating. Distance didnt really increase alot, because I was used to cast very hard with alot of force and almost no brakes just thumb to push enough energy into the cast to get the heavy stock spool rotating. With the new spools everything is way smoother and makes much more fun. A small whip and it flies.

I'd like to give you guys who consider getting a bfs spool for the casitas following Informations about those 2 spools.
The Ray's Spool is perfect, in comparison against the stock spool it is even better in terms of production quality.
Shaft and spool really nice machined, the shaft is also kind of polished. It runs perfect, there are no problems concerning balance which would cause vibrations during the cast. Installing the brake shoes or pads whatever it is called is very easy, just push the small pins out with a needle or something similar...

The Momo spool however, could have been probably a bit better than the Ray's if it didn't have a problem that kinda bothers me.
It has a dynamic unbalance which causes vibrations during the cast. It's not only my spool, another customer confirmed it too. Probably caused by a faulty fitting of the spool to the shaft. The shaft itself is not polished. Removing the brake hub from the stock wasn't a problem, installing back on the Momo neither.
If you don't want to gamble get the Ray's.

Momo is more shallow, but wider. Line cap is similar.

Stock spool weight: 14g, 20g with line
Ray's: 10g, 13g with line
Momo: 8g w/o brake hub, 10g with brake, 13g with line
Svs brake hub: 2g
Spool shaft: 5g (I'll talk later about that)

I'll upload some pictures later I have to resize them first.
I'm not a native speaker so sorry if there are any mistakes.

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Thu May 11, 2017 6:37 am

Here the pictures:

Removing the Brake:

Ray's and Momo:

Weight original spool:

Weight Ray's:

Weight Momo without Brake:

Weight of the Brake:

Weight Momo with Brake:

Difference between original and Ray's Brake:

Momo with line:

Ray's with line

Weight of the spool shaft:

My idea:
The spool shaft doesn't need to be so long, a shaft like this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-ABU ... 15912.html
could probably save a few grams.

a 5*11*4 bearing should fit, maybe someone can try it out?

The Weight of the shaft is in the center, so it shouldn't effect the Moment of Inertia alot theoretically.
I could measure the Inertia of the spools, but I don't know if anyone is interested

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu May 11, 2017 7:11 am

Really (reely) great report and photos.
Thanks.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 11, 2017 7:23 am

Casitas BFS :D

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Oleg wrote:
Doge wrote:Here the pictures:

The Weight of the shaft is in the center, so it shouldn't effect the Moment of Inertia alot theoretically.
I could measure the Inertia of the spools, but I don't know if anyone is interested
I am inert with the results of measuring the moment of inertia !!! I myself measured a lot of spools from reels and have such data. I measured on a bifilar suspension. I did a lot of work for myself in this matter.
How do you measure the moment of inertia?
I used to measure the moment of inertia with a method very similar to your bifilar suspension.
It works with only a wire spring and an object as reference. You need to know the inertia of the reference first (a rod for example, easy to calculate) and then you also measure and calculate the spring constant of the wire. With the known spring constant and inertia of the reference you can now measure any object, basically you compare the periodicity. The last time I did something like this was in university lab, I'm sure I still have the papers of this method if you are interested. Bifilar suspension seems to be easier tho, I'll try it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat May 13, 2017 1:29 am

Would a spool that is the same weight as another, but that has a smaller diameter and the same line capacity because it is wider, have a lower moment of inertia?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 13, 2017 3:48 am

I'm intetested in how or if the distribution of mass affects the moment of inertia and/or angular momentum. For example, does the spool shafts weight not effect the moment of inertia as much because it is near the axis of rotation?