Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Here's my el cheapo bfs set-up.... Fuego CT with Zaion star, 80mm handle (suits me for light work), silver handle nut and pawl cover. Using parts I had on hand from other reel builds, I don't even have the full retail cost of the reel in it lol! Can't wait to see if it performs as well as looks.

The Zion star was a direct fit? I remember the Tatula CT wouldnt let you use one unless you had the Type R model.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Here's my el cheapo bfs set-up.... Fuego CT with Zaion star, 80mm handle (suits me for light work), silver handle nut and pawl cover. Using parts I had on hand from other reel builds, I don't even have the full retail cost of the reel in it lol! Can't wait to see if it performs as well as looks.

The Zion star was a direct fit? I remember the Tatula CT wouldnt let you use one unless you had the Type R model.
The Zaion star from a Zillion SV TW is made the same as the Fuego star, in that it fits over the square nut and has a spring that holds it out against the underside of the handle spacer. I put the lighter nut from the Zillion on the Fuego, also, to lighten the reel a bit more.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am

lund40 wrote:

I am going to get this same reel and DIY spool and pair it with a ark invoked rod
Anyone else have a slight 'tick' with these spools? Its very slight, but annoys me to the point that Im gong another direction for bfs. :doh:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
lund40 wrote:

I am going to get this same reel and DIY spool and pair it with a ark invoked rod
Anyone else have a slight 'tick' with these spools? Its very slight, but annoys me to the point that Im gong another direction for bfs. :doh:
Yes, I do. I mainly use the DIY as backup spools when I fish from shore.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
lund40 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Yes, I do. I mainly use the DIY as backup spools when I fish from shore.
That's it! :lol: I'm 100% agreed that's a best place for using this staff! :mrgreen:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm

Maybe that tick is from the bearings that come with it. If I get the Zillion TWS spool I plan to order some BFS bearings for helping light casting.

Has anyone tried these spools in a Zillion TWS or any other different/odd matchups? Also they look awesome for the Curado 70, hope one is coming for the Curado K...

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Just to let you guys know, bearing 3x11x4 (grey color) that come with DIY spool is 2.25g on my el cheapo digital scale, while Ray's Studio purple bearing (also 3x11x4) that I've ordered separately are less than 1g. here's video link that I've uploaded in youtube https://youtu.be/c2EeeLimKp4

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Maybe that tick is from the bearings that come with it.
No, I'm positive that it is the spool pin rocking back and forth inside the groove in the pinion gear.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:35 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Maybe that tick is from the bearings that come with it.
No, I'm positive that it is the spool pin rocking back and forth inside the groove in the pinion gear.
Ohh, that makes sense, wonder if ordering one of the genuine Daiwa spool pins (like a dollar and change) would solve the issue... Not sure how it would fit with the DIY, but it could help.

Do these DIY spools have fixed inductors or do they function like MagZ or SV braking???

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:11 am

The DIY spools for Daiwa reels have an SV-style rotor.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 pm

What is this tick you speak of? Is it the sound of the inductor seating as the spool slows or is it a constant, repeating sound?
-

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 pm

DIY spool does work like magforce-z + air brake

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:17 pm

LowRange wrote:What is this tick you speak of? Is it the sound of the inductor seating as the spool slows or is it a constant, repeating sound?
-
It is a constant, faint tick-tick-tick as you retrieve. Not as bad when you have a resistance bait tied on, but still there. I sold the entire reel. Theres too many capable bfs reels out there to have that aggravation while fishing. It was a deal-breaker for me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:47 pm

So I cannot find any information on the Zillion TWS spool. From my calculations, it holds around 100 yards of 6lb fluorocarbon. I would be using the spool with 8lb P-Line Halo on a 6'6"Medium rod. I figure it is worth a try for $50, I don't have Paypal, but do have a Wal-Mart card I preload for orders from Tacklewarehouse.

Should this all be okay or am I setting up for disaster? Is it an SV style brake rotor or a fixed inductor? I know the TWS Zillion wasn't the most popular, but I really like mine and they have been very tough reels. Just hoping I could take my old one and improve it a bit. If the spool ends up great I plan on getting some Air BFS bearings for it also...