New Curado 70

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Curado 70

Post by Jayce » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:55 am

bemo wrote:I keep clicking on the topic hoping to learn something about the Curado 70.
Yeah I was hoping the same thing.
Please stay on topic and create a new thread on the noisy IBS thingy :laugh1:

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:33 pm

Jayce wrote:
bemo wrote:I keep clicking on the topic hoping to learn something about the Curado 70.

IBS???? You mean SVS don't you? blah blah blah blah blah blah =)))) =)))) =))))

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:23 am

joekaz wrote:
I apologize for my role in getting this topic off track.
Me, too.

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Bassmar wrote:
Jayce wrote:

IBS???? You mean SVS don't you? blah blah blah blah blah blah =)))) =)))) =))))

:big grin: :big grin: :mrgreen:

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:11 pm

As someone who switched to Daiwa a few years ago, I appreciate the info. Shimano has been close to getting me back lately as Daiwa's lineup is really a mess. This 70 was looking like the reel to bring me back. However, I certainly will now refrain until I hear how the squealing has been addressed.

Thanks

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:25 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:As someone who switched to Daiwa a few years ago, I appreciate the info. Shimano has been close to getting me back lately as Daiwa's lineup is really a mess. This 70 was looking like the reel to bring me back. However, I certainly will now refrain until I hear how the squealing has been addressed.

Thanks
lol

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:48 pm

What squealing ?

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:14 pm

It's not going to be addressed.

As stated, there is a yellow booklet that comes with every reel which provides instructions on how to service the braking system. When it starts to squeal, lightly oil the drum and the noise stops.

This isn't a complete tear down of the reel and takes seconds to complete. It was designed this was so until they improve on the design again, it is going to be this way.

I've got a Curado I, Chronrach CI4+, Metanium XG and a CQ100 with this braking system and while following the instructions that came in the box, have not had one issue with the brakes squealing.

I probably add oil about once a month.

I was really hoping to learn something new about the Curado 70 though. There are two pages of discussion on the actual reel. The rest is about how people perceive this squealing as being an issue. It would not stop me from buying another SVS Infinity reel. I just now have to figure out which one it will be. There are just too many options right now when I can only buy one reel!

cabrela
Angler
Angler

Post by cabrela » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:51 pm

lape0019 wrote: ...I was really hoping to learn something new about the Curado 70 though. There are two pages of discussion on the actual reel. The rest is about how people perceive this squealing as being an issue....
=D> =D> =D>

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:17 am

I don't think it's going to be anything revolutionary but evolutionary. I'm assuming the spool will be as wide as the current curado but shallow like the current aldebaran. The full specs will be released at Osaka with its twin the Scorpion being released

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:13 am

Seph wrote:All this noise is simple in my mind:
SVS is higher performance and higher maintenance than the older VBS. I really don't understand all the fuss though because it takes less than 45 seconds to do the 'maintenance' suggested in the owner's manual of these reels. :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJIqAk9gKiE
This video does it in 90 seconds while talking! zomg...

Its funny to me that the 'noise' that has everyone complaining does not seem to have any correlation to performance. But, if noise is bad then I guess we have justification for never using ceramic bearings or straight cut gears.
It does cut down on performance, casting distance is effected.

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:22 am

^ Only if you let it get to the point to where it is telling you it is time to oil...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:20 am

According to speculation on tz lure the new scorpion XT is going to be around 185 grams or 6.6 oz. So it's safe to say if that's right the curado 70 will be the same,

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:45 am

Rich Frye wrote:^ Only if you let it get to the point to where it is telling you it is time to oil...
I have to clean and oil the drum 2 times in a day of fishing on 2 reels.
I have cleaned both reels, flushed the bearings and replaced the bearings in 1 of the reels.

Maybe my friend and I got defective reels. We bought them at the same store within a few days of each other. I'm not against Shimano. I own several of there reels that do not have any issues.

IMO they did not do a very good job with the Curado I.

Having to oil the brake drum every couple of fishing trips is not a fix, it's a band aid.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I have A Met 13, Antaries and Curado I have not had a single issue noise yet... I just followed the directions.

Kurt