No necessary in low gear ratio bc reels according to A-Mart

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: No necessary in low gear ratio bc reels according to A-M

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:51 am

Scoreboard. He can fish.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:11 pm

I watched the clip and it was informative. It does not change my view on my need for a low gear ratio option when fishing baits that have a high degree of resistance when retrieved.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:43 pm

The reason I posted that video and opened the thread - I always thought what nowadays high gear ratio reels can handle any type of resistance baits, for example new Tatula, Zillion TWS, Antares 2012 in 8.1, 7.4. The only reason I thought I need to buy the low gear ratio, because you cannot slow down when I have to in cold water temperatures. A-Mart somehow proves he can catch a lot and win tournaments using mostly 8.1 reels. Some objected he doesn't use presentations when low gear ratio required (like deep diving cranking or big spinnerbaits). Anyway just wanted to share A-Mart experience.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:25 pm

Cracker wrote:The reason I posted that video and opened the thread - I always thought what nowadays high gear ratio reels can handle any type of resistance baits, for example new Tatula, Zillion TWS, Antares 2012 in 8.1, 7.4. The only reason I thought I need to buy the low gear ratio, because you cannot slow down when I have to in cold water temperatures. A-Mart somehow proves he can catch a lot and win tournaments using mostly 8.1 reels. Some objected he doesn't use presentations when low gear ratio required (like deep diving cranking or big spinnerbaits). Anyway just wanted to share A-Mart experience.

Thanks for sharing.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Your gonna listen to a guy that dropped Megabass to go with this garbage Enigma company he has now? :lol:

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:20 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Your gonna listen to a guy that dropped Megabass to go with this garbage Enigma company he has now? :lol:
:lol: Yes that's a good point.

Honestly I understand Amart is highly successful at fishing but I just can't get past using a 7:1 or 8:1 for moving baits. From my experience I use a 6.x:1 ratio and has worked great for me...for years. Like any task, there is always the "right tool" for the job. If the high ratios work for him in tournament situations then great but I will stick with what I know works for me. Personally I only use high ratio reels for bottom contact baits and frogs.

sorrychow
Angler
Angler

Post by sorrychow » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:35 pm

It's his opinion. I think he is a very detailed angler and a genius the way he looks at everything. It doesn't fit my style but like one the early posters said, I don't fish for money and only fish small areas. If he misses a fish, it's money out of his pocket and if a high gear ratio reel prevents him from losing fish, it's a win win for him.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:03 pm

sorrychow wrote:It's his opinion. I think he is a very detailed angler and a genius the way he looks at everything. It doesn't fit my style but like one the early posters said, I don't fish for money and only fish small areas. If he misses a fish, it's money out of his pocket and if a high gear ratio reel prevents him from losing fish, it's a win win for him.
I think you're right, the Pros at that level fish differently than we do.
On the Elite Series, they don't use nets, and they ski their fish in as fast as they can when they can. While I keep pressure on my fish, I only ski frog and punch fish, if I can. I really like feeling them pull and fight.
I swing my fish now, because I am using heavier line and tackle, so I can. Plus I am not as agile as those guys are anymore. ](*,)
But I use a net for big fish, and they can't, so they play their fish differently, too.
I have a hunch they're just better fishermen than I, but it's just a gut feeling. I've never fished against them, so maybe it's the other way around! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:28 pm

I can see his point when fishing bottom contact,smaller cranks& sq.bills etc. At the end of a long cast when your spool is low indeed the extra speed comes in handy. But when fishing a deep diver when the boat is pretty much in the same spot I would go with a 5x or a 6x. Fishing for money and fishing for fun are different.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:27 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Your gonna listen to a guy that dropped Megabass to go with this garbage Enigma company he has now? :lol:
Didn't he just have the most dominant year in BASS Elite history?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:45 am

Bootytrain wrote:
He also never dropped his Stellas and Metaniums ;)

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:05 am

IAY wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
He also never dropped his Stellas and Metaniums ;)
Exactly... lol I'd give an enigma rod a chance if their aesthetics were better

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:03 am

if they paid you what they paid him you'd do the same too...

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:47 am

There have been many on TT that have stated their buying decisions aren't influenced by BASS/FLW pros endorsing them, A-Mart included.

A few years back Rick Clunn made the claim that he preferred all his rods be the same length and action, regardless of the technique. He claimed that it helped with his fishing efficiency and that he wouldn't have to change his casting style, etc. Not too many people bought into his theory.

My opinion is simple. Just use what works best for YOU and the style YOU fish. Whether it be a 8:1 or 3.8:1 there's really no "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:22 pm

IMO we should stop using gear ratios to measure reels and just use ipt as its more informative.