15 aldebaran w/ ktf spool water time review

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

15 aldebaran w/ ktf spool water time review

Post by ss30378 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi all, if you saw my last post I got a ktf spool for my 15 aldebaran 50hg and now that I've had a bit of time to test I can give a bit of a review.

As a precursor or for those who haven't seen my other post, the ktf spool is essentially identical to the ss air spool and the bfs xg limited spools when it comes to capacity and assembled weight but you use the stock spools svs infinity brake system.

The complete setup:
ktf spool ixa bearing on one side, bfs air bearing on the other,
55 yards of 6lb xl mono,
6'6" extra light, st. croix legend inshore.

The test lures:
I've ran quite a few light weights with this setup now from a bare 1/32 jighead up to 1/4 oz crankbait but I spent most of my time with a strike king bitsy pond minnow(labeled as 1/8oz but really weighs about 1/12oz), a 1/16oz rooster tail and a 1/8oz rattle trap were also used for a good amount of time.

I fished in both calm and light windy (5-10mph) condition and I'm really growing to like this svs infinity system. I truly believe I get the best of both worlds of wind adjustment and distance with this setup. The bitsy minnow is a pretty good test of a light weight setup since it has enough surface area to be affected by the air, once dialed in (during a headwind 2 brakes on and dial set in between 2-3 worked well, in calm/ side wind 1 brake on and dial between 4-6) i could get casts of 40-50 feet in head winds and around 75-80 feet during the calm. Once dialed backlashes were a non issue.

Honorable mentions:
I can nearly spool this reel with the 1/8oz rattle trap! I have about 55 yards of line on and there was maybe 10 yards at the most left after the cast.

The 1/32 bare jig head went 30-35 feet with good consistency, the rod did load albeit very little, maybe a little fine tuning another 5 feet or so may be on the table so if you have no need to go beyond 15 yards 1/32oz is doable with this setup.

The 1/16oz rooster tail casted better that the bitsy minnow due to a more slender profile.

The fish:
The best part (in my opinion) of bfs fishing is the variety of fish you can catch on little baits.
From little 6 inchers...

Up to 6lbers! The drag worked beautifully to get her in on 6lb line...

Notes:
The way the ktf spool setup is designed you must use the supplied ixa or another recessed bearing like the HH air or air bfs bearings. The stock one is too wide on the inner race to work with the spacer set up supplied.

The spool gives the reel a different feel, while there is less startup force needed on casting it also feels that way when retrieving, it feels more refined with the ktf spool installed as well.

Comparisons:
Now I'm sure you're asking for comparisons by now so I can give comparisons to what I have and have used. This would include, the scorpion xt 1000 with both stock and avail 936 spools, the core 50mg with both spools, px68 with stock and ize finesse spool, alphas sv stock, and ss air stock.

Casting:
As far as weight limitations go the top 3 would be the 936 spooled shimano 50s, ss air, and the ktf 15 aldebaran.

I would say all are close with extreme light weights they are all so close that in calm conditions you would net the same results with either, in windy conditions the ss air and svs aldebaran setups are the key and for sheer distance the aldebaran wins by a bit of a margin which may be due to the bearings in this vs the stock ss air. The vbs setup is simple and reliable but doesn't match the adjustment capability for conditions like the daiwa or new shimano setup.

The pixy even with the finesse spool or the alphas sv can't touch the others with the real light setups (under 1/8oz)

Size:

The new aldebaran wins this one easily, this reel is tiny! My biggest complaint with the ss air was the overall size. While the ss air is light it just felt too big on a small profile rod. This new ald is even smaller than the 50e series and the pixy.

Refinement:

I think the diawa's hold tighter tolerances overall (there is still a very slight back play in the aldebaran's anti reverse bearing) but the aldebaran is smoother than any of the other reels even more so than my px68 which is incredibly smooth. The aldebaran has actually gotten smoother after a few trips out and now it feels very similar to the metanium just smaller.

Additional input on the rod:

I love this rod! Simple as that, great sensitivity and just the right taper to help absorb big fish on light line. From small jigs to small jerk baits, cranks and spinners it can do it all just stay in the weight zone. My last review I stated I didn't know if it would handle 1/32oz but it did (just barely...) so my final #s are between 1/32 and 3/16oz on this rod. Jerk baits and jigs that are being fished with the use of the rod tip I would keep the weights to 1/8oz or under to prevent from over powering the tip. Other than that its a great deal on a great rod.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 15 aldebaran w/ ktf spool water time review

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Man thats a great write up and review =D> Maybe its time to get a trout rod that will let you explore more of the reels low end casting capabilities. I went to the KTF website to order but not surprisingly they were all sold out :lol:

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 pm

Nice setup and review! :D

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:24 am

IAY wrote:Nice setup and review! :D
X2

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:20 am

Very nice review and a beautiful bass :big grin:

blkfalc4
Angler
Angler

Post by blkfalc4 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:27 am

Good write up and objectivity.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:09 am

Awesome write up, I learned so much. The mystic between KTF and SS Air spools has been broken down.

What would be the ultimate BFS spool ?

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:52 am

Jdmbassman wrote:Awesome write up, I learned so much. The mystic between KTF and SS Air spools has been broken down.

That's a pretty loaded question, but I'll give you my favorites. Best bfs spool I've used for the daiwa/mb world is the ss/t3 air spool. Second best would be the mb i'ze finesse spool for tdz/IS/steez.

For shimano, definitely anything zpi. Specifically the 732, 710, or z-pride. I've always been a huge ktf fan, but zpi makes a nicer spool and there mag brake systems are great.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:26 am

Best spool is very subjective. As for being able to cast the absolute lightest baits the best out would probably be the very shallow honeycomb avail spools for the Shimano 50s and the avail bfs xg spool. With their titanium spool shafts they are the lightest spools out, and coupled with the small line capacity would create the lightest total spool weight package possible at this time.

I've never tried the Zpi setups so I can't comment, but with the Daiwa air spool or the ktf shimanos (15 aldebaran or bfs xg limited) they are so close it would boil down to what brake system you prefer as well as what reel ergonomics you like best.

My testing has the svs setup generating the best results among the 3, 2nd would be the SS air followed by the scorpion/ core with the 936 spool. The svs won out because it had the adjustability to handle the wind as well as the SS air but had the longest overall distance casting distance. The vbs system on the 936 matches the ss air in overall distance but gets a bit testy in winds.

If you are on small bodies of water or small streams where big distance and wind may not have as big of an effect they are all very capable at casting small baits.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:14 am

I don't think you can really appreciate just how nice SVS infinity is, until you get a shallow spool for it. Absolutely love the combination of adjust-ability and centrifugal breaks.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:36 am

Externally adjustable brakes are what got me using Quantum reels, way back when.
I know Daiwa has had it a long time, too, but when I first started using a baitcaster, I couldn't afford Daiwa, and being able to adjust the brakes externally on my Quantum reel really shortened my learning time.
It's ironic that Quantum went away from them for the Exo reels, which are so sweet in every other way. I mean, they come with stock 11 gram spool.
But they are not bfs reels.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Very nice review. Thanks for taking the time to post this and in the detail you provided. :D

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:Awesome write up, I learned so much. The mystic between KTF and SS Air spools has been broken down.

I know that you like the best but any spool by Avail,Yumeya, KTF or ZPI will make the reel that you think you know into an entirely different reel to be used for a different purpose.

BTW, nice review!

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:00 am

John G wrote:

I know that you like the best but any spool by Avail,Yumeya, KTF or ZPI will make the reel that you think you know into an entirely different reel to be used for a different purpose.

BTW, nice review!
I'm coming around to the belief that any of the top end stuff if that's what it was designed for will be great. The quest is now to understand what does what.