Tuned Spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Tuned Spools

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:13 pm

What exactly goes into "tunning" a spool?

If you have your reel tuned for example a daiwa zillion with stock spool and you put an
upgraded spool in it say an HLC spool that wasnt in the reel when it was tuned. Should
you have to "retune" the reel? I guess what I am getting at is if a reel was tuned with a
specific spool does dropping in a differnt spool require one to repeat the tune process
with the spool you desire to be in the reel to get the most out of the setup?

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tuned Spools

Post by Bass Junkie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:20 pm

A "tuned" spool means, essentially, that the spool varies in some way from the one that is stock in that model of reel. These variations can come in the form of variances in weight, line capacity, the compression rate of a magnetic rotor's spring, or simply another color strictly for cosmetic gain. Although much of the emphasis is placed on finesse spools, or spools that cater to BFS style fishing, they are not necessarily relegated to that. For instance, the Daiwa HLC, or Hyper Long Cast, spools are spools made with an emphasis on attaining longer casting differences and therefor feature a higher tension spring in the rotor, along with line capacity that is equal to or greater than stock. In any instance, there will be variances in the "tune" of the reel when switching spools. Factors like spool shaft length, the quality of the spool bearings, the type of braking system, and overall weight of the spool will all have an impact in the performance of the spool in comparison the stock one. You will have to dial in the reel again once the spool is installed, but it should be a relatively easy process. In the case of upgrading a Zillion to the HLC spool, all that will likely need to be done is simply swap spools, retain the original tune from the prior spool, and then simply adjust the settings from there. Just bear in mind that, due to the fact that the rotors spring tension rate is 4 times stronger and the spool is ~30% lighter, you are going to have significantly higher start up and top end spool RPMs.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:24 am

I always have have my original or upgraded spools tips polished and upgrade bearings. There is so much info on TT, just do a search on your reel. I take the easy route and sent my reels to Ian and follow his recommendations. :D

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:16 am

Nice post Bassjunkie!

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:42 pm

Good info.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:27 am

The major differences in tuning spools / rcs after market is the materials the spool is made from and the inductor that goes into the magnets, the amount of material in the inductor,spring tension , weights behind the inductor all make a diference then you have sv / air spools which have a rotating action to extend the inductor instead of straight in an out like mag v and mag z.also there are fixed inductor spools original magforce ( no v or z)
polishing spool tips and bearing upgrades are another area as well.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:Nice post Bassjunkie!
X2!!