best spinning reel under 150

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

best spinning reel under 150

Post by timsford » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Im trying to put together a spinning combo to be used for jerkbaits mainly, but also dock skipping and general finesse use for baits under 1/4 oz. I have several reels im interested in, and im hoping my fellow tackletour members can help by providing experiences with any of these. If anyone has used more than one, even better. I have a few requirements that the reel must meet, so while im completely open to suggestions, please keep in mind that i want the reel to:
First and foremost be reliable. While i am mainly using this for smaller stuff, 6+ lb smallies and double digit stripers/wipers are fairly common around here so the reel must be reliable. I cant afford to have one go down on me all the time
Second requirement is that it hold at least 125 yds of 10 lb mono. This is my main line i will be using on this rod, although id also be extra pleased if it came with a spare spool for braid for single hook techs. I like braid, especially at night for the extra sensitivity, but because the rod will be a fast or extra fast and used for hard jerks and other treble hook baits, i will mostly be using mono. I have hooked into several stripers that nearly spooled me before i tried to horse to much and slow them down causing the line to break. I want to be able to let my equipment tire the fish, even if it makes a huge run. My last requirement is that it is lightweight, preferably under 9 oz and the less the better.

My list im considering along with pros and cons is as follows

My top contender is the daiwa ss1300. I know it meets the durability requirements, holds plenty of line, and has a smooth strong drag. If any reel is bulletproof this is it. The only drawback i have with the reel is that even though it is a tank, there are much lighter and smoother reels now. If i buy this it will last forever but ill always wonder how much smoother a newer design would be

Second on my list is the new daiwa procyon with mag seal. It looks great, holds the right amount of line, has tuning spools and handles available(at least i think it dies since it is a real four design). I have two questions about it. Is an aluminum body really worth the extra weight over the new carbon composite reels(this reel weighs in at 9 oz for the 2500 size versus many new reels that weigh around 7 oz in a larger 3000 size),and how often will the magseal oil require maintenance and how hard will it be to get done.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: best spinning reel under 150

Post by timsford » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Some other reels im considering are:

Lews team gold carbon or the new team pro in the 300 size. I had the team gold carbon 300 and really liked it. Held the right amount of line, zero line twist issues, a strong smooth drag, and only weighed 7.4 oz filled with line. I have a few questions/possible issues with it though. First off, while i never felt any frame flex or gears binding under load, what are the odds a striper could flex the frame enough to cause internal damage. This may be fixed by buying the new aluminum framed but slightly heavier team lews pro, but it still has another issue im worried about: parts availability down the road. I know parts wont be stocked forever even with daiwa/shimano. The main worry i have though is that while lews has some really nice reels at affordable pricepoints, they seem to constantly change their designs every year and i dont want to have problems sourcing parts just a year or two down the road

The last choice on my current list is the okuma rtx/cabelas prodigy. This reel can be gotten for cheaper than the others on my list, is super light( the 30 size weighs a claimed 6.6 oz!) Holds plenty of line and has a good drag according to reviews. The main thing holding me back on this one is the unknown. Ive heard okuma makes a great spinning reel, but have no first hand experience. Also has anyone tried this or any other okuma real with their version of a carbon frame. If so were there any feelings of flex and last but not least how hard is it to source okuma parts.

These arent a list i have to go by, just what has interested me so far. If anyone has any other reels new or used they reccomend id definitely be interested in hearing about them. I do prefer daiwa spinners although the ss1300 probably has me biased towards them. I would consider shimano, but dont care for the feel of their graphite reels like the sahara, and the newest stradic is definitely over my price range. Pfleuger makes some nice looking well reviewed reels and the magnesium lightweight construction instead of carbon or graphite seems like it would feel more sturdy with a large fish. After looking at specs though i dont really see a 50 dollar price difcerence between the supreme and supreme xt since the 35 size in both is listed at the same weight. The other issue i have with them is that the line capacity seems low compared with daiwa and by the time i step up to a 35 size pfleuger to hold enough line, im back up to a 9 oz or so reel. Also as with all the others i have interest in.. how hard will it be for me to get a pfluger part later on. Well sorry for all the questions, run on sentences, and the long winded book of a thread. Please tackle tour, give me your insight into which if any of these reels you would choose and any good or bad experience with any of these. Also opem to other suggestions in the 150 or under pricepoint. I know none of these are a stella or exist, i just want reliable, smooth, and strong for the price and id rather save money for other gear so cheaper alternatives/used reels will be considered also. Thanks you all for your help

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:12 am

Instead of the RTX, why not the Okuma Helios? I love mine, and the 30 size should hold enough for your purposes.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:21 pm

The helios is another reel im interested in. I was thinking the rtx because i can find it around 75 or less shipped, but if the helios is worth the extra money id for sure consider it.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:28 pm

I have quite a few spinning reels under $150 with the exception of my Stradics. The Okuma RTX looks like a nice alternative to a CI4. The color and light weight attributes are similar to what you would find on C14. I purchased one for $80 NIB. I have fished it probably 5 times. It is what you would expect from an $80 reel. The drag isn't like a Stradic and the retrieve isn't nearly as smooth or effortless. I would probably NOT buy one again but it serves as a backup reel so that is fine.

When fighting larger fish species that can make long runs line capacity and drag would be my two biggerst criteria. If you haven't fished one yet I would highly recommend the Shimano Stradic FJ. The reel might be a touch heavier than what you want but in the 3000 size with line capacity you would have plenty of room for 12# line without getting spooled. The drag is incredible. It has handled long runs and 10-15 minute battles with 15-20# grass carp (caught intentially while dropshotting 8# Sniper). These reels also have X-Ship and huge laundry list of features. I have a 2500 and 1000 and they are my favorite spinning reels to use as they just work so well. They are being discontinued so price should be well under $150. I bought one for $115 and the other for $140.

My Second choice would be the Shimano Saros. Price and weight would be a bit less but it may not be as battle proof as the FJ. I bought the 1000 Saros to use for light finesse fishing. Only used it twice but I must say it has held up well

Maybe a few other guys can chime in by a Stradic FJ 3000 might be a very respectable choice. If you are wanting something new and cutting edge the NEW Stradic FK can be found for about $150 from Japan and is about a full ounce lighter than the FJ it is basically replacing.

Good luck my friend :D

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm

The fj is another reel i have thought about. Id like an aluminum frame reel because it will be used for stripers quite a bit. Im not usually a weight weenie when it comes to reels but after using the lews reel that weighed 7.4 oz, i realized how big of a difference an ounce or two makes when you are constantly snapping your rod tip all day. A couple of other reels i am thinking about are the quantum energy and smoke and the new lews team reel with the aluminum frame. The energy is very appealing because of the spare spool, metal frame, and the good experiences ive had with quantum spinners. The lews reel looks great and if it performs like the team carbon with an aluminum frame then it would be an awesome reel. The only thing that worries me about lews, quantum, and lots of other companies that have reels made by oems is parts availability down the road. Lews is kind of an unknown as far as availability down the road because they have only been back on the scene a few years. Are quantum parts hard to source down the road? I hate to blaspheme by asking for a redesign on the ss, i just wish they would redisgn the handle with a post and removable knob so i could slap a daiwa cork on it, and maybe another bearing on the pinion. Id buy and probably never look for another spinning reel. I just hate that damn hard plastic knob

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:12 am

timsford wrote:The helios is another reel im interested in. I was thinking the rtx because i can find it around 75 or less shipped, but if the helios is worth the extra money id for sure consider it.
I work at a tackle store, and i handle both of these reels frequently. Having fished with the Helios and felt its performance, for a serious angler, I'd go with the Helios. While its no Stella, Sustain, or even Ci4+ Stradic, it's a solid performer, and feels a lot more refined than the RTX.

dukhntr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dukhntr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:20 am

Cabelas Verano......made by diawa. We love ours. I've always had shimano. Tried this verano and very, very impressed. I like it better than my sustains. The only reel that I like better is my Stella FI....