Metanium 4 brake block vs 6?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Metanium 4 brake block vs 6?

Post by karirick » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Morning all. Did I see a post recently that it is possible to get the 4 brake casting block like Conquests have for the Metanium? Can't find anything right now on it. Thanks if anyone knows how to convert the Met.

Rick

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Metanium 4 brake block vs 6?

Post by John Puckett » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:18 am

Yes this is an actual item, it's very funny you should ask about it because I just saw it yesterday while looking around on Shimano Japan's web page. It's listed there under the Yumeya parts. It seems like I remember Bantam saying something to the effect of the 4 block being a slightly modified "better" version of the original 6 block. Seems like he said the blocks themselves where slightly different and they were easier to turn on and off. Don't hold me (or Bantam for that matter) to this because I could be way off but as best as I recall this was at least mentioned somewhere before.

Hope I helped and didn't just muddy the water even more for you.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:55 am

Oh? If the brake block is a stand alone that could be one helluva part to be able to source.
Can anyone link it up on here?

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:39 am

Yes that would be great if a 4 block could slip right on the Metanium? I guess the Alde has a 4 as well. I'm only asking because I remembered Bantam saying 4 block was better so I would switch both of my Met's if cost was reasonable. Thanks for the replies and if someone can source please let us know. I'd pay well over cost if one of you can make it happen:)

Rick

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:51 am

Martin Lo wrote:Oh? If the brake block is a stand alone that could be one helluva part to be able to source.
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/3836

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:01 am

Loafer wrote:
Martin Lo wrote:Oh? If the brake block is a stand alone that could be one helluva part to be able to source.
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/3836
Excellent, thank you.

Useful for the avail spools for going 1/2 depth of stock

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:42 am

How would I order those? My google translate isn't very good either. Great to see these available. If someone gets a hook up please share the info.

Rick

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:52 am

What's the real world advantage of a 4 brake block over the 6? Thanks all, Brian.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:28 am

karirick wrote:How would I order those?
I'm afraid, that customer must ship spool (or even reel) to the producer for replace brake block.
a1712 wrote:What's the real world advantage of a 4 brake block over the 6? Thanks all, Brian.
I dont think about advantage 4 brake over 6, because i use Metanium with 10-18 gr lures (paired with Zodias 1610M-2): 2 white brakes ON always, external adjustment between 2 and 4 and haven't any problems with casting.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:43 am

I only use two white brakes all the time also...

I personally can't see anything changing if you use the same amount of brakes, I would down to buy one
and try it if anyone has a link to purchase depending on the price, I would also like white brakes over the red.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:29 am

I think it's just in my head that it would be worth doing. If I have to send the reel/spool then it's a no go for me. I can buy the svs puller for $10 from Japan Tackle, was hoping maybe was a diy project. Thanks for all the comments today.

Rick

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:33 pm

a1712 wrote:What's the real world advantage of a 4 brake block over the 6? Thanks all, Brian.
Biggest advantage is to aftermarket spool users. With the old VBS avail among others sold 4p brake holders but with SVS, one had to salvage one from the stock spool

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:52 am

The change from the 6 block to the 4 block was for several reasons. Mainly a slight performance increase at lower spool speeds (pitching, flipping, etc) with reduction in noise, and it was easier to use. I'm not sure if I can feel a difference, but they are easier to work with. I have the Yumeya deep spool in my Antares 100HG that still uses the 6 block system. I can still cast all the line off the spool with a Super Spook. I have zero complaints with either the 4 or 6 block versions.

Just remember the SVS Infinity brake system will not work on an older VBS reel. The brakes are in a completely different location, and the brake hub diameter is different.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:57 am

Bantam1 wrote:The change from the 6 block to the 4 block was for several reasons. Mainly a slight performance increase at lower spool speeds (pitching, flipping, etc) with reduction in noise, and it was easier to use. I'm not sure if I can feel a difference, but they are easier to work with. I have the Yumeya deep spool in my Antares 100HG that still uses the 6 block system. I can still cast all the line off the spool with a Super Spook. I have zero complaints with either the 4 or 6 block versions.

Just remember the SVS Infinity brake system will not work on an older VBS reel. The brakes are in a completely different location, and the brake hub diameter is different.
I'm assuming the white brake blockS in the new Aldebaran provide less braking? Can they be put onto a Curado or chronarch svs spool for longer casting like the metanium?

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 am

Bantam1 wrote:The change from the 6 block to the 4 block was for several reasons. Mainly a slight performance increase at lower spool speeds (pitching, flipping, etc) with reduction in noise, and it was easier to use. I'm not sure if I can feel a difference, but they are easier to work with. I have the Yumeya deep spool in my Antares 100HG that still uses the 6 block system. I can still cast all the line off the spool with a Super Spook. I have zero complaints with either the 4 or 6 block versions.

Bantam since you chimed in, which we appreciate, is there a USDM sourced spool with the 4 block we could buy and take it off and put on the Met spool? Would be spendy I know, but wondering if possible? Thanks.

Rick