JDM SS SV

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

JDM SS SV

Post by Greg64 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:37 am

Does anyone have experience with the JDM SS SV? If so, would you consider it a good all around reel for bass fishing? Also, is the 2016 Daiwa USDM 103 SV, which apparently is built on a Zillion chassis, essentially the same reel as the JDM SS SV? I need to replace my Daiwa TD1 reels, which are about 25 years old; and, I'd rather not wait for Daiwa to release the 2016 reels.

Please advise.

Thanks

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM SS SV

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:40 am

Everything I have read on the SS SV's has been good. Tackle Tour did a review on and called it a Steez in disguise. Gave it a pretty good rating too.

I'd be interested to hear comments as well. Its on my "to buy" list.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:43 am

I have had one for a couple seasons. It's a decent reel. The drag is lacking and it feels a little hollow compared to other Daiwas. The better buy is the Alphas SV as long as your not throwing 20lb fluoro or nylon. It's a wonderful reel for $200.

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:07 am

I have an Alpha SV, which hasn't been out of the box, yet. It's a fairly small reel; so, I wasn't sure it would service as an all around reel. If it will, I'm content to rely on it for everything, with the exception of big swimbaits, crankbaits, etc. I'm in the market to buy several of the same type reels.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:36 am

njbasscat wrote:I have had one for a couple seasons. It's a decent reel. The drag is lacking and it feels a little hollow compared to other Daiwas. The better buy is the Alphas SV as long as your not throwing 20lb fluoro or nylon. It's a wonderful reel for $200.

Why is the alphas not a good heavy line reel?

Are either one of these decent for 1/2oz jigs etc. in pitching and roll casting situations? I recently sold a px68 because the brakes simply weren't enough to handle a heavier weight with a stiff line while the bait was skipping.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:44 am

1/8 to 1/4 oz I was impressed, but 3/8s up I was not impressed. It is really smooth and palms really well.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:26 am

5bites wrote:
njbasscat wrote:I have had one for a couple seasons. It's a decent reel. The drag is lacking and it feels a little hollow compared to other Daiwas. The better buy is the Alphas SV as long as your not throwing 20lb fluoro or nylon. It's a wonderful reel for $200.

Are either one of these decent for 1/2oz jigs etc. in pitching and roll casting situations? I recently sold a px68 because the brakes simply weren't enough to handle a heavier weight with a stiff line while the bait was skipping.

My SV handled them ok, but line capacity on the 105SV spool is pretty short with heavier lines. I run 10# Senshi on mine for Jerkbaits and its got plenty of line, but slap 14# fluoro on it and I was getting too close to the knot during a long cast.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:35 am

Well, for what I need it for line capacity isn't an issue. I had 20lb on that px68 and yea if you cast it you better pay attention. What I'm looking for though is a modern magv replacement I guess. Maybe I'm hoping for to much lol.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:41 am

I have an SS SV and an Alphas SV. All great reels, but the Alphas is a little light on capacity for some applications and the SS is a little light on drag. I will definitely be getting a 103 SV or two when they become available for the jobs the other reels aren't ideal for. The SS and Alphas are still great reels though and will do some things better than the 103 SV, I'm sure.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:42 am

If you can get a T3 1016, its really versatile. The RCS 1016 spool it comes with is a great all around caster. Some people don't like the flip hood but I like it. They can be had for fairly cheap as well. The SV spool is nice though. The 103 size is more what you are looking for.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:22 am

ccass wrote:If you can get a T3 1016, its really versatile. The RCS 1016 spool it comes with is a great all around caster. Some people don't like the flip hood but I like it. They can be had for fairly cheap as well. The SV spool is nice though. The 103 size is more what you are looking for.

Was you talking to me?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:59 pm

5bites wrote:
ccass wrote:If you can get a T3 1016, its really versatile. The RCS 1016 spool it comes with is a great all around caster. Some people don't like the flip hood but I like it. They can be had for fairly cheap as well. The SV spool is nice though. The 103 size is more what you are looking for.

Was you talking to me?
I was talking to anyone looking for a versatile reel.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:21 pm

ccass wrote:
5bites wrote:

Was you talking to me?
I was talking to anyone looking for a versatile reel.

I see. I have several T3's. Great reels. They pitch better than they should considering their capacity.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:52 pm

5bites wrote:

If your using braid, it's a non issue but the spool size is a little small for thick lines. If your just pitching and roll casting, you should be ok.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:21 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
5bites wrote:

My SV handled them ok, but line capacity on the 105SV spool is pretty short with heavier lines. I run 10# Senshi on mine for Jerkbaits and its got plenty of line, but slap 14# fluoro on it and I was getting too close to the knot during a long cast.
Its not just what the spool holds at the start....It is a fishing reel...meaning allowing for reties and frayed line and changing of baits. Your gonna lose some of that original line everyday just fish'in.