Daiwa Alphas SV questions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Alphas SV questions

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:06 pm

Not having paid much attention to Daiwa reels in the past, I have a couple questions...

1. Are Daiwa 105 models smaller than 103 models?

2. Is the Alpha SV a JDM only reel?

3. Is the Alpha SV 105 left hand retrieve model available with 5.8 ratio?

4. Anyone care to guess how much 20lb PE line the 105 SV will accommodate?

Thanks
oe

ljnichols
Angler
Angler

Re: Daiwa Alphas SV questions

Post by ljnichols » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:43 pm

1. Yes
2. It is being released in the U.S.
3. Yes
4. Not sure of the actual yardage but it should fit way more than enough.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:49 pm

The North America SV105 is lefty 7.2:1 only. If u want the 5.8:1 you need to get the jdm alphas sv.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:45 am

Doing the math, the SV105 is advertised as holding 90yds of 10lb mono which is about .012 dia. 20lb test PE is about .009 dia. so the spool would be capable of holding 155 - 160 yards.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:11 am

I'm sorry to hear that the slower ratio isn't going to be offered stateside. I'll have to watch for someone to tire of it and place it on a swap board. I don't do paypal... U.S. currency still works here.

I don't understand the modern American angler, always in a hurry. Slow down and enjoy the moment... a slower presentation has caught a lot of bass in times gone by.

oe

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:20 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:I'm sorry to hear that the slower ratio isn't going to be offered stateside. I'll have to watch for someone to tire of it and place it on a swap board. I don't do paypal... U.S. currency still works here.

I don't understand the modern American angler, always in a hurry. Slow down and enjoy the moment... a slower presentation has caught a lot of bass in times gone by.

oe
Some baits are so much easier to work with a faster gear ratio. Cant imagine throwing frogs or pitchin jigs on a 5:8 gear ratio... :)

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:55 am

[/quote]Some baits are so much easier to work with a faster gear ratio. Cant imagine throwing frogs or pitchin jigs on a 5:8 gear ratio... :)[/quote]
You're correct with those baits, but spinner baits and crank baits have been more effective for me with a slower retrieve. I like something in the 20"-22" per handle turn speed. I've got reels with the correct speed, but they don't handle the light weights I like as well as the newer selection of reels available.

I'd tell you to import one and see, but when you wanted to sell it I might be your only market...

oe

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:15 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:
Some baits are so much easier to work with a faster gear ratio. Cant imagine throwing frogs or pitchin jigs on a 5:8 gear ratio... :)[/quote]
You're correct with those baits, but spinner baits and crank baits have been more effective for me with a slower retrieve. I like something in the 20"-22" per handle turn speed. I've got reels with the correct speed, but they don't handle the light weights I like as well as the newer selection of reels available.

I'd tell you to import one and see, but when you wanted to sell it I might be your only market...

oe[/quote]

haha, japan lure shop and jpangler are great. If i didnt use paypal i wouldnt hesitate to use a credit card there. Both legit tackle shops :big grin:

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:13 am

the hooligan wrote:
haha, japan lure shop and jpangler are great. If i didnt use paypal i wouldnt hesitate to use a credit card there. Both legit tackle shops :big grin:
I've purchased two reels and a spool from JLS with no issues. Save myself a ton of money too

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:08 am

Agree with hooligan- just use a Visa/credit card. All the main jdm shops are legit as they come.
And they're cheaper from Japan too.